Beret I.D

Hi all

I need a little help with the berets in (Red circle) this image. The the chap on the left with the Iron Cross is lieutenant Bill Cotton - 4th CLY - 22nd Armd Brigade - Villers Bocage. He commanded a 95mm CS Howitzer armed Cromwell tank (the one in the photo !) He was instrumental in organising an ambush of Wittmans second assault in the afternoon.

I'm stuck with the design of the beret. There appears to be an inch wide band above the leather band on the two berets circled. I'm aware that the 11th Hussars had a crimson band on their brown berets with no capbadge.

Did any other unit have this type of beret design with the wide band? Does anyone know if this type of beret was issued to certain units, and could the colourisation be wrong.

Cheers
tank beret.jpg

It may be one of the antecedent regiments* of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. They didn't wear a standard beret.

Edit: * - 4th Queen's Own Hussars and 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.

Is it possible they have got hold of a Schutzmütze - German Panzer beret? - part protective liner part beret - and removed the insignia?

hamper

Old-Salt
Hi all

I need a little help with the berets in (Red circle) this image. The the chap on the left with the Iron Cross is lieutenant Bill Cotton - 4th CLY - 22nd Armd Brigade - Villers Bocage. He commanded a 95mm CS Howitzer armed Cromwell tank (the one in the photo !) He was instrumental in organising an ambush of Wittmans second assault in the afternoon.

I'm stuck with the design of the beret. There appears to be an inch wide band above the leather band on the two berets circled. I'm aware that the 11th Hussars had a crimson band on their brown berets with no capbadge.

Did any other unit have this type of beret design with the wide band? Does anyone know if this type of beret was issued to certain units, and could the colourisation be wrong.

CheersView attachment 612753
Whole thread on this.

It may be one of the antecedent regiments* of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. They didn't wear a standard beret.

Edit: * - 4th Queen's Own Hussars and 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.
Had a check, and no.
QRIH (and later QRH) wore green hats with the thicker band, but that capbadge is not recognised.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
As said 4 CLY, Normandy, 7th Armd Div, Bde Commander Loony Hinde IIRC, got slapped stupid at Villers Bocage by a certain Micheal Wittmann and a few Tigers.

Latest Threads