Beret Cap Badges and Backing Patches in Northern Ireland

Tiger-Monkey2

War Hero
1 R HAMPS had black badges issued for NI. These were properly made as opposed to just painted. I still have mine.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Kinda like wearing a TOS were your tartan backing makes a nice X or + on the side of your head......
TOS unceremoniously debadged before taking to the Co Armagh countryside:
IMG_0515[16454].jpg

I stole that one from one of Coy Int Sect, who I was bigger than. I think that Coy rotated their clothing among themselves anyway, as everything used to get stolen from the washing machines.
Friggin RHF.

View attachment 477910
I stole that one from one of Coy Int Sect, who I was bigger than. I think that Coy rotated their clothing among themselves anyway, as everything used to get stolen from the washing machines.
Friggin RHF.
That’s Gordon, not RHF.....

Did you proff it from Davidson?

Or was it Davidson who left it loafing?
I do remember a 'Davidson', who was in one or other of the sections (good bloke, too). I can see his face now, but which bn he belonged to is a mystery to me. Thieving Jock, though.

View attachment 477910
Friggin RHF.
No wonder they giggled. Bastards sent me out improperly dressed.
(Gordons were a little later on that tour. I may have stolen it at NTH).
We had a platoon of Gordon's attached to us in S. Armagh, 88-89.

We (3 R Anglian) took over from 45 Cdo in West Belfast in late ‘86. We all had to wear green lids for two weeks while we took over. I kept that lid for a year until returning on a different tour where one of my blokes (an RM CSgt) lost his earned lid, so I gave him my illicit one. Wish I hadn’t done it in retrospect, same with my London Jocks TOS which I swapped with a US Chinook pilot for his side hat.

Ah, the folly of youth.

1PWO shiny badges painted in Humbrol matte black paint.*

Worth a fortune now I understand...I have a limited supply if anyone is interested.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember telling a sgt at Flax St Mill to get his cap badge blacked , his answer: I'm not afraid of those Fucckers Sir!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
As I recall berets were worn on normal patrols throughout most of the Troubles, with the exception of riot situations (when "NATO" riot helmets, which replaced the Mk 4 helmets from about 1972 I think, were worn) or as top cover in Land Rovers.

I seem to recall the routine wearing of helmets didn't start until the introduction of the Mk 6 in about 19876/7 perhaps. A big thing was made at the time of the 1994 ceasefire when routine patrols stopped wearing helmets and started wearing berets, the media made this out to be a huge step in de-escalating the conflict, presumably unaware that this is how the British Army patrolled throughout the worst of the Troubles, even in South Armagh.
I think we were forced to wear the new lids due to their cost and we had to be seen to be getting value for money out of them, drivers were supposed to wear them despite the increased whiplash they would have caused.

Latest Threads