Beret Cap Badges and Backing Patches in Northern Ireland

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I remember seeing lots of officers cutting about with those in BAOR
I think it was a disease started at JLRRS, Ouston. Ruperts should have been wearing the wire embroidered cap badge. The abortion I showed was for OR's

Let’s not get into big timing, troggy, trog, trogster, sat in a cab is not patrolling, otherwise the milkman and postman would be patrolling.
Tell that to Dvr Bulman.

Tell that to Dvr Bulman.
Calm down drives. This was about blackening capbadges as a tactical consideration when patrolling. Not applicable to someone sat in a cab. I refuse to to cowed by your virtue signalling when you are wide of the mark.

We had blackened capbadges and wore our red berets when I arrived in province in 1989, however, a few months later that was changed and we patrolled in helmets after that.

IMG_0511[16444].jpg

Three borrowed badges from various times; the D&D and QLR ones were clearly homebrew-paint (c.79 -82). The RGJ badge was as worn in 79/80. Another RGJ Bn in about 84 at BBK had blackened badges.

diehard57

War Hero
I was in Aldershot when the Queen's Regiment and Royal Hampshire Regiment amalgamated. One of the new PWRR bods was on his PTI course at ASPT, and was wearing the new khaki beret with a cloth version of the new capbadge. It looked honking.

There was no blue-yellow-blue backing either, it was clearly a stopgap as no new badges had been issued.
This was it - we soldiered on with these for about a year before the three different metal versions were issued
F75AEAF1-E7E5-4E4B-B4C2-8265DE2D8B7D.jpeg

Scaley cloth cap badge circa 1978-80
View attachment 477855whoever thought of putting them on a circle was an idiot of the first water. Surely it would have been better on a triangle. Those of us that had these miserable excuses for badges, used to cut them to the shape we wanted. Unfortunately, there were several shouty people who didn't like the look of them and we were ordered to get a proper "Jimmy" on our berets. The trouble with "Jimmy" was, he got caught up on everything from cam-nets to suspender belts. The badge got broken at the ankle so often, you couldn't glue them and had to pay a visit to the QM.
Suspender belts? So you were attached to the Marines, then.

Couldn't fit the beret over the turban.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
You must be v/young.
I'm refering, of course, to the mighty Elephants Arse.

Calm down drives. This was about blackening capbadges as a tactical consideration when patrolling. Not applicable to someone sat in a cab. I refuse to to cowed by your virtue signalling when you are wide of the mark.
Seems you’re bored. It’s a sunny day - make the most of it.

needlewaver

War Hero
Scaley cloth cap badge circa 1978-80
View attachment 477855whoever thought of putting them on a circle was an idiot of the first water. Surely it would have been better on a triangle. Those of us that had these miserable excuses for badges, used to cut them to the shape we wanted. Unfortunately, there were several shouty people who didn't like the look of them and we were ordered to get a proper "Jimmy" on our berets. The trouble with "Jimmy" was, he got caught up on everything from cam-nets to suspender belts. The badge got broken at the ankle so often, you couldn't glue them and had to pay a visit to the QM.

Still got mine from 1st Armd Div Sigs Verden, a bit faded and worn now.

diehard57

War Hero
Three badges? I know you have different ones for beret and No.1 dress cap, what’s the other one?
The third one was the officers version for the SD and Number 1 cap. It has a red enamel backing.
D33882FF-6DE1-44D8-9DA5-944875F1BD75.jpeg
16230AED-8656-466E-95E4-4A02E55E8586.jpeg078B16CF-A502-4F4D-8F73-565596984858.jpeg

Latest Threads