Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Beret Cap Badges and Backing Patches in Northern Ireland

BomberHarris

Swinger
Anyone know what the standard procedure was regarding the wearing of cap badges and backing patches when on operational duties in NI like rural patrols? I've heard some regiments blacked out their cap badges with black IRR paint, but was anything specific done regarding brightly coloured backing patches like the red square King's Regiment backing patch for example? I've heard the King's Regiment were issued black cap badges in February of 1975, but I'm unsure how long these were used.

In 15/19H I very rarely saw blackened badges, and we always wore the red backing behind them. The red backing indicated that we were 15th/19th The KING'S Royal Hussars and no tactical situation arose in my brief time in NI to change that.

These being the days of proper chevrons, most chevrons were blacked out.

We were invited to purchase a black cap badge from the PRI and any hand painted ones were confiscated by the grown ups!
1st Bn retained the red backing on ops but I believe the 2nd Bn didn’t

1KING’S had black cap badge in use till end of Banner, in late 90’s we were using pen and paint then the grown ups issued a bunch. I think they were just ordinary ones that had been painted properly.

You will also find that some units had cloth cap badges made which were sewn onto the the beret. These designs were usually made with subdued colours.
The RCT, 16/5th Lancers and 14/20th King Hussars have had these on ops (and I’m sure a few more than that too).

Humbrol matt black worked for us. I don't recall being chucked one from above.
Mind you, I don't recall much these days.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

You will also find that some units had cloth cap badges made which were sewn onto the the beret. These designs were usually made with subdued colours.
The RCT, 16/5th Lancers and 14/20th King Hussars have had these on ops (and I’m sure a few more than that too).
RCT had cloth badges - but I don’t remember their use being mandated. 17 P&M used to use them wholesale and they never did an Op BANNER tour! @Truxx will know.

RCT had cloth badges - but I don’t remember their use being mandated. 17 P&M used to use them wholesale and they never did an Op BANNER tour! @Truxx will know.
I had been given cloth badges for tours. I know the armoured div transport regiments back in the day wore them as the norm even when not on tour. It’d be interesting to see how that trend started.

Last edited:
I had been given cloth badges for tours. I know the armoured div transport regiments back in the day wore them as the norm even when not on tour. It’d be nteresting to see how that trend started.
I seem to remember being told it was to stop them getting caught in cam nets, which is I suppose possible but does question the competency of the wearer.
EDIt
This was in BAOR of course.

8 Bde 79-81
39 Bde 85-87
We did.
Edit. There's a good chance we may have overlapped.

That stands a good chance for sure, if I recall correctly when I got there the grown ups were just changing over too so might explain it.

I seem to remember being told it was to stop them getting caught in cam nets, which is I suppose possible but does question the competency of the wearer.
EDIt
This was in BAOR of course.

I found wearing my beret and shiney or blacken cap badge in my map pocket usually solved that problem.

It made me popular with the RSM and he printed my name on orders 6 times (in the Orderly Corporal column) as a sign of respect.

Those were the days when if you could not take a joke you should not have joined.

In NI in the 70's, my cap badge was hand painted using model paint (matt black).

1590829617894.png

A platoon of 3 Royal Anglian in 1973 - I half think It is at Fort George, Londonderry. Note fitted for and with shiny capbadges (albeit one of the smaller badges of the Army)+

Last edited: