Bereaved in Northern Ireland will not forget

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Continues:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/05/nireland105.xml

2. Fcuk them!! Fcuk them!! Sorry for this..in fact no, I'm not sorry...I hate every last one of the dirty fenian b@stards and I will never forgive and never forget...

Link...watch this if you feel the way I do

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

When did you serve there?

4. I served there very briefly in 2000 so I didn't see actually see anything much myself, but I was in Warrington when they killed 2 children in Macdonalds and my mothers family are Ulster prods who were forced out of their homes in the early 70s and my second cousin was killed by the b@stards in 1983. My hatred comes not from my service, but from my family links to the province...

5. So a Garrison of only 5,000 remains, have all their weapons been decomissioned and put beyond permanent use? Can we trust that the Mitchell Comission have been to every British Army hide and arms dump?

There are two edges to the sword, like the man said:
    [align=center]They havn't gone away you know?[/align]

Well quite a lot can be done by 30 determined men and women, never mind 5,000. Can the terrorists ever be sure there is not a camera on thier hide?

Like our Fathers and Grandfathers before us, we will never forget those from our generation, who gave their lives defending Democaracy from those terrorists who sought to steal it from us by intimidation and lethal force.

Many of us will always remember the particularly cowardly killings of a number of non-combatants such as the defenceless 6 month old daughter of CPL Islania RAF, shot next to her father and Hedi Hazell, murdered on the patch in Dortmund.

6. Yep, and 3 year old Johnathan Ball and 12 year old Tim Parry killed by the "Irish heroes" in Warrington in 1993..

7. in_the_cheapseats

OK, for my own credentials, I spend a couple of tours in S Armagh in the early and mid 90s and other places later. I lost a friend there.

I accept that your family suffered but time moves on and unless you accept that things must move on, your attitude (and in others of the same mindset) can cause nothing but strife in the future.

I realise that you may not want to hear this but for all our sakes and to ensure that the next generation of soldiers doesn't end up wandering around in a province of the UK ready to shoot idiots of either persuasion who take the next step from your gobbing off, to thinking that small minded bigotry needs to be expressed by way of terrorist acts.... forgive and move on.

8. Well said.
    We all have to move on, but never to forget the price of our freedom today. Our generation need to learn how to make it better for the next one.

9. in_the_cheapseats

Accepted. I for one will not forget my friend but I will never support the bigots view. We spent too much in time and life, making damn sure that that bigotry wasn't going to succeed in NI.

I find it depressing to read such ire here.

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

NI has moved on, people have grown up, many of them looking to the challenges of the future as opposed to the past.
    Soldiers and civillians killed there in the last 40 years ARE remembered. As are the SCUM who perpetrated these horrific crimes.
    Rest in Peace Jim Bradwell, Field level to some of those who knew him well, my dear friend and tutor.

11. While I understand your emotion Legal, lets not forget that as a simple example, both the first and last Police Officer to be murdered (by terrorists) in these most recent troubles in NI were killed by Loyalists, not 'Fenians'.

RIP Victor Arbuckle and Frankie O'Reilly.

On a personal note can I add RIP Reggie Reeves, I know your brother mourns your death to this day.

12. According CAIN 155 under 16s died in The Troubles. The one child killed on the Continent must be the the baby mentioned above. The boys were two of the five children killed on the larger island. Five kids were killed in the Freestate. The remaining were killed in the 6C itself.

The geographic pattern is similar for the overwhelming majority of other three and a half thousand deaths. The death figures don't reflect the far higher numbers of those maimed or driven from their homes or exiled.

It may seem churlish to point this out but the high ratio of carnage happening safely across the Irish sea rather explains why some MPs, and one very smug ex-PM in particular, cannot longer recall just how lethal PIRA's long war was to British citizens in comparison with the current nastiness.

13. I can understand your hurt by proxy but until you've lived with these people you've no idea how their mnids work. We cannot understand how the protestants are so loyal or how much hate the extreme catholics have for us. Most of em dont give a monkeys and just want to live their lives in peace but your twisted logic will help I'm sure :roll: