Berbatov etc. - Football Gravy Train

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by PandaLOVE, Aug 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If we work hard enough we may be mortgage free after 25 years. The young footballer can earn the value of our house in 7 days. Indeed, a footballer can earn in 30 hours what one of us would receive on leaving after 22 years service. (Rooney is already worth £16million, has achieved nothing and a not very nice person to boot).

I am unsure of Berbatovs weekly wage but it will be atleast 5 figures. Last week he was not in the mood to play for Spurs while they went on to defeat. How is that allowed?

The Premiership seems designed to accomodate the Champins League, a competition where 75% of the teams are not champions!

The Big 4 is a media invention when really it's only Man Utd and Arsenal who are powers in the English game. Chelsea have a shelf life while Liverpool are left way behind.

My question is, how long will it be before the working man eventually turns his back on the game and says enough is wnough? I live in London and I see as many kids wearing Big 4 tops as I do local teams. Every magazine, book and football advertisement shows only the Big 4 and it's really not good for the game.

I am not at all bothered that England did not make Euro 2008 because most of it's players are despicable, over indulged characters who have nothing in common with and don't represent me. In fact I despise the look of Lampard, Cole, Terry, Rap Boy Ferdinand & Co.

Who else feels like me?

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I may feel as you but I at least understand the realisms of a market driven economy.

If the public wasn't willing to pay for the services of the football clubs, then these wages would not be possible.

One last point - I would always prefer the players to be paid for their skills than the money be hoarded away by the fat cat owners.

3. Does anyone else spot Fergusons hypocrisy regarding the Ronaldo / Berbatov issue?

Complains about Real Madrid then does the same thing himself.

4. Football has to one of the dullest things on the planet.

5. Homo!

:D

6. Fergurson's been doing that for his entire managerial career. That's one of the reasons Stam had to leave united, he spilt the beans in his autobiography. The mans a bigoted hypocrite.

7. The Murdoch empire are starting to run negative stories about the premiership and especially the players, hard times might be coming along soon with the next TV deal, if that gets reduced significantly then there'll be a few teams going to the wall and a lot of players out of a job.

This new money does have a shelf life, they've tried rebranding it, selling it to the US, Chinese, etc but nobody outwith Europe is really interested, and it's the same fans who have been following football all their life.

8. Africa?

South America?

9. One upon a time, a man who could speak English, so obviously not a Football, decided to say why Footballers get paid so much. Film Stars get paid immense amounts of money for entertaining, and footballers do the same, and so they get paid the same as them. This of course being absolute bollucks... As football isn't really about entertaining.

10. They might watch it, but they don't pay for it :D

11. Watch it?

They play it - a lot better than we do!

12. We put in a formal bid for Berbatov though, that's the difference.

"Tapping-up" should be legitimised though, everyone does it.

13. Back on topic: the Premiership won't be able to sustain these sorts of revenues forever.

One day the bottom will fall out of the market. You only have to look at the state of Serie A which used to be the glamour league of the 90s.

Just hope it's not too abrupt when it does happen!

Also I don't know why footballers get singled out for being overpaid when F1 drivers and boxers rake in more.

Eg Ricky Hatton banked £20m for the Mayweather fight which was less than one hour of boxing!

14. I think top level football has become as gay as the day is long. Bunch of haircuts and wooly woofters who spend most of their time blubbing on the ground or gobbing off at the ref. Load of old toss. Overpaid bunch of primadonna cnuts!

Jealous? Me?

15. I have to admit some of those Olympians put footballers to shame.

That Shanaze Reade fell off her BMX bike several times, had a huge gash on her arm and substantial bruising but no complaining, no rolling round, just picked herself up and just got on with it. Nails!