Bent 'charity' - Our Heroes Matter Sunderland

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Tiddle, Jan 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Longish story that I'll try to keep short.

This mob have a second hand shop in Fawcett St Sunderland, they've been pinged by the local RBL lot as a scam, they originally advertised as a charity however they were trading as a limited company at the time (Our Heroes Matter UK ltd) they have now changed their description on he website to a 'fundraising organisation'.

They used to have a blatant copy to the HFH but, after a snotogram from HFH sharp changed it.

They have charity boxes all over the North East, non have a charity number on, they were also caught out collecting door to door but claimed it was someone copying their logo. I've overheard the shop manager claiming that all the money goes to the boss, including donations from the public.

They're ran by a Father and Son who just happen to be slum landlords, Jason Dunville.

What to do? Have they broken any laws?

J.

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

3. Cheers WS, I'll fire off an email and see what the score is.

4. Wordsmith

Other thing you can do is go to Companies House.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk

You can look up their details by going to the Find Company Information section. Here it is.

OHM-1.jpg

A quick look shows the company was founded on 5th January 2012. If they leave it to the last minute, they don't have to file their first year's accounts until October of this year.

So the company exists but at present there is no useful information to be obtained bar what I've posted. (Unless you want a list of directors).

I'm not an expert on it but the type of company is that often set up for charities - but that doesn't mean anything until you see their accounts - which you can't get at the moment.

Wordsmith

5. You need to forward any info onto the local newspaper to smoke them out as per Tiddles post #2

6. Not sure they'll run it without concrete proof, the Sunderland Echo aren't known for their investigative journalism!

7. I'd be really interested to know the status of having collection tins without being a charity though. Anyone got any ideas?

8. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Trading standards at the local council might be worth contacting too - seeing as they are a limited company

Sent from my iPhone with tapatalk, I never cared much for spelling 😄

9. Wordsmith

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice...

OHM-1.png

Now this company was formed on 17th August 2011. It was trading as Our Heroes Matter (UK) Ltd before the name change.

If anyone didn't know that, they'd assume that the current Our Heroes Matter (UK) Ltd should only have accounts going back to the date of its formation on 5th January 2012. On the other hand the earlier company wasn't set up as a Private, Limited by Guarantee, No Share Capital company - which I understand is the usual form for a charity trading as a limited company.

Wordsmith

Edited to Add: The name change was on 29th December 2011 which would fit in with the change to company type. The interesting question will be how far the accounts go back for the latest company - to January 2012 or to August 2011.

10. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Ws - do you mean by changing their name they didn't need to file accounts that year?

Sent from my iPhone with tapatalk, I never cared much for spelling 😄

11. Wordsmith

And another one - even if the charity is dubious, there's a good chance it could be done legally.

Income £50,000, expenses £49,999, donations to charity £1.

A slightly rediculous example - the Charity Commission will be able to advise better.

Wordsmith

12. Wordsmith

It looks like the two companies and name change were to get the limited company into the legal form more commonly associated with charities. I'm not an expert, but I have seen the latter form associated with a number of not for profit organisations.

If they're legit, they'll file accounts for company 2 going back to August 2011. If they're a bit dubious, the accounts will go back to January 2012 - i.e. a 4 month difference.

But you don't have to actually file accounts at Companies House until 9 months after the end of your financial year so there will be no legal way of seeing their accounts before then. And even then they could charge heavy expenses to administration and still be within the bounds of the law.

Wordsmith