Benenden Healthcare floating ads

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Glad_its_all_over, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How the blue blistering fuck do I go about dismissing the floating Benenden ads when, as so often, they obscure a forum post?

Annoying things, I hope they paid treble for the irritation to users.
  2. I hope they paid the going rate and no more, and maybe even a discount. Bloody marvellous Benenden Healthcare, and it costs me a mere £4.77 a MONTH!
  3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Can you post a screenshot of the problem pse?
  4. It happens with other ads but Beneden seems to be the worst.

Attached Files:

5. Example screengrab attached - you'll see the floating ad overlaps the forum page. Have had this with the ad in the middle of the page, completely blocking a series of posts.

Attached Files:

6. Don't know if it will help the dignostics but no problem on firefox or google chrome
  7. I sympathise. Since I bought this Laptop there's a big sticker on my screen advertising Windows Vista. No amount of trying gets rid of it and perhaps the
    site could just take it off here please. It's so annoying. Thanks. 8O
  8. Bad CO

Ahh, all is now clear. I'm afraid ARRSE isn't compatible with IE 8 ......
  9. Shall I change to Explorer 7 now then, boss?
  10. Ah well, thanks for looking. The front page behaves itself if you invoke compatibility view. That's something, at least.
  11. Bad CO

Full compatibility with IE8 is definitely on the to-do list but in the meantime ..... I can't think of a good reason not to use Firefox?
  12. I feel obliged to give IE8 an airing as part of my gig on the Windows 7 Beta programme.
  13. Pressing "refresh" works for me.
  14. The ads never seem to bother me. I have been a member of Benenden for about 8 years and can recommend anyone about to leave the Service to join it.
  15. I've had the same problem with banner ads obscuring the last post on a page too. I'm still using IE7 though, so it's not purely an IE8 glitch.