Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jayabbo, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm about to start phase 1 in a month and found out my mrs is pregnant so I was wondering if there are any benefits you can benefit from whilst being in the army And I suppose any benefits you do get would be after phase 1 training
  2. If your married:
    Cheaper housing (Married Quarters charges hell of a lot cheaper than civvy street)but remember you must be married and after training before you can apply.
    Kindergelt if posted to Germany (once sprogs of a certain age) its like an additional child benefit.
    LOA - Overseas allowance will depend on how many are in the family and current rates

    If your not married not much
  3. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

    Benefits for maternity
    If you're having a baby, you may be able to get benefits such as Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance. This will depend on whether you work and, if you do, how much you earn and how long you have worked for the same employer. You can also get a one-off grant called a Health in Pregnancy Grant – see under heading Health in Pregnancy Grants. If you're pregnant, you may also be entitled to free vitamins and Healthy Start vouchers to help with the cost of milk, fruit and vegetables. Whether or not you can get this help may depend on your income.
    For more information about Healthy Start vouchers for milk, fruit and vegetables, see Help with health, education and legal costs.
    Health in pregnancy grants
    If you’re pregnant, you may be able to get a grant from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to help you prepare for the birth of your baby. The payment is called a Health in Pregnancy Grant and it is a one-off grant of £190. A Health in Pregnancy Grant will not affect your tax credits or any other benefits. Everyone will get the same amount – you will not be asked about your income.
    You can get the grant if the following conditions apply:
    you're 25 weeks pregnant or more, and
    you've been given health advice from a midwife or doctor.
    You may not get the grant if you are subject to immigration control or if you are not ordinarily resident in the UK.
    To make a claim, get a claim form from your midwife or doctor. Your midwife or doctor must fill in their part of the form and sign it before giving it to you. You then need to get your claim form to HM Revenue and Customs within 31 days of your midwife or doctor signing the form - otherwise you may miss out on the grant.
    HMRC will pay the grant directly into your bank or building society account.
    For more information about Health in Pregnancy Grants, go to the HMRC website at: HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page.
    Statutory Maternity Pay
    You can get Statutory Maternity Pay if you have been working for the same employer for at least 26 weeks, by the time you are 15 weeks away from the date your baby is due. This means that you must have worked for the same employer throughout your pregnancy. You should also earn at least as much as the lower earnings limit each week. The lower earnings limit is the level of wages where national insurance contributions start.
    Statutory Maternity Pay is paid by your employer if you are away from work to have a baby. It can be paid for up to 39 weeks.
    For information about Statutory Maternity Pay, see Parental rights at work.
    Maternity Allowance
    Maternity Allowance is a benefit for women who have been working but who do not meet the work and earnings conditions for Statutory Maternity Pay.
    Who can get Maternity Allowance
    You can get Maternity Allowance if you have been working recently or you have stopped working to have a child. You must have been working for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before you are due to give birth. It does not matter if these weeks are split up, or if they are not all for the same employer. You can claim Maternity Allowance if you do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay, as long as you have been earning at least £30 a week on average. This can be from employed work or self-employed work. Maternity Allowance does not depend on national insurance contributions.
    How much is Maternity Allowance
    The amount of Maternity Allowance you get is either 90 per cent of your average earnings or £124.88 a week, whichever is less. Some people get an additional amount for an adult dependent, such as a husband, or civil partner. However, this additional amount is being phased out from 6 April 2010.
    How to claim Maternity Allowance
    You should claim Maternity Allowance on form MA1 which you can get:
    in England, Wales and Scotland, by phoning Jobcentre Plus on: freephone 0800 055 6688 or textphone 0800 023 4888. There is also a Welsh language line number which is 0800 012 1888
    in England, Wales and Scotland, from the Directgov website at Website of the UK government : Directgov.
    in Northern Ireland, by phoning the Incapacity Benefits Branch on 028 9033 6000 or the benefit enquiry line on: 0800 243 787, or by downloading the form from the website of the Department for Social Development at: Homepage
    from antenatal clinics
    from local benefits offices.
    You should return the form to your local benefits office. You will need medical evidence of your pregnancy, usually your maternity certificate (MATB1). If you claim Maternity Allowance after your baby is born, you should provide the birth certificate. If you are employed, you also have to provide Form SMP1 from your employer, which confirms that you are not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay.
    You can claim at any time once you are 26 weeks pregnant. If you claim late, you can get Maternity Allowance up to three months before you claim if you could have qualified for benefit earlier. It does not matter why your claim is late.
    When you claim Maternity Allowance, you have to provide your national insurance number. You will normally also have to give the national insurance number of your husband, civil partner or other adult who looks after your children if you are claiming an additional amount for this person. If you do not know your number, but you think you have one, you should provide evidence that will help the benefits office to identify your number. If you do not have a national insurance number, you will have to apply for one.
    For information on how to apply for a national insurance number, see National insurance – contributions and benefits.
    How long is Maternity Allowance paid
    You can get Maternity Allowance for up to 39 weeks. The earliest it can start to be paid is the 11th week before your baby is due. The latest it can start is just after your baby is born. There are rules about when your Maternity Allowance has to start being paid if you are not working, or you are not entitled to Maternity Allowance until later in your pregnancy.
    If you want more information about when your Maternity Allowance will be paid, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.
    Problems with Maternity Allowance
    If your Maternity Allowance claim is refused when you think you are entitled, or you get less benefit than you think you should, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again or you can appeal. You should do this within one month of the decision.
    If you are not happy with the service provided by the benefits office, for example, because of mistakes or delays, you can complain. You can do this whether or not you also want to challenge a decision.
    It's against the law for you to be treated unfairly because of your race, sex, sexuality, religion or disability when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decides about your claim for Maternity Allowance. Also, the DWP has a policy which says it will not discriminate against you because of other things, for example, if you have caring responsibilities. If you feel that you've been discriminated against, you can make a complaint about this.
    For more information about challenging a benefit decision and about complaining, see Problems with benefits and tax credits.
    If you want to challenge a Maternity Allowance decision or you want to complain you can also consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.
    If you cannot get Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance
    If you are not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance, - perhaps because you have not been working recently - you may be able to claim other benefits instead.
    If you are pregnant or you have had recently had a baby, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This will depend on the stage of your pregnancy and whether there would be a risk to your health or your baby's health if you worked. You may be able to claim Income Support instead. You can claim Income Support once you are 29 weeks’ pregnant, or earlier if you are incapable of work because of your pregnancy. Before this, if you are capable of work, you could claim Jobseeker’s Allowance.
    The rules about the benefits you can claim in pregnancy and early maternity are complicated. If you are pregnant or have just had a baby and you do not think you can claim Statutory Maternity Pay or Maternity Allowance, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.
    Back to top
  4. BiscuitsAB

    BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

  5. Thanks for all the help but I was just trying to find out benifits from the army for couple not married
  6. Yes, the biggest benefit is travel and a regular wage - so join up, **** off and leave her behind, and enjoy your life. But be sure to send her a few quid every month to stave off those robbin' CSA bastards.
  7. You been a comedian long ?? Any serious advise
  8. Sadly, no. The Army's not very good at looking after non-married couples. I had my first child before marriage just after joining. Needless to say 6 months later I was wed with married quarter enjoying said benefits.

    If you have a home with her within 50 miles of your posting you'll get GYH (a fuel allowance) for your daily travel, as long as you have permission to live out. Other than that it's just regular warrants/claims for going home once a month in your first few years. Anything else will come from State benefits for your misses.

    Do your kid a favour and get married.
  9. Well done, great timing. :roll:
  10. I believe it comes in threes, doesn't it?
  11. Wasn't planned believe it or not and the mrs was supposed to be going in as combat medic only found out week before she was going in aswel
  12. Im not Sherlock Holmes or anything but this Sounds very suspicious. Perhaps it wasn't planned by you but by your partner? Some food for thought.
  13. She over took her pill for her holiday to not come on and ... Well you know the rest
  14. Swansea just do one, behave in this forum or dont bother posting.