Benefits War Pension ESA and going back to work.

Scotsxxv

Swinger
Afternoon Looking for some advice please. I posted a similar thread a few months ago but I am now looking for information.

So a little history I was injured in the Army and I receive a 60% with the unemployablity supplement along with ESA support group, I have been unable to work and have been vey ill with various complications due to injury and side affects of medications. I never thought I would be able to return as my mobility is limited. So over the last few years I have studied from home distance learning and I applied for a job on a whim and have been offered this job working from home its only maximum of 10 hours per week. I am excited but also apprehensive as I still am in pain and still suffering the only way I can do this is because its from home on the laptop. I am concerned I will lose my pension which I had to fight so hard to get. Can anyone advise what I will lose or what I need to do ? if anything I am due to start in two weeks if I accept the offer.

At one time, if you were in receipt of means tested benefits, popular opinion was that you simply cannot work. When I was a Town Councillor, I looked into this issue and found DSS very helpful and informative, given that I was attempting to assist residents in my ward. There was ( 19 years ago) a system called ‘permitted’ work.
You were allowed to work for a set number of hours a week and allowed to earn a very modest sum without this affecting your allowance. At that time, a doctor was contacted to certify that you would benefit from this, mentally or physically or both.
It was accepted by the DSS that if you were to approach an employer in respect of a full time post. The fact that, although jobless, you nonetheless did something to improve your position was very much in your favour. I recall one lad writing short articles for a photography magazine who received £50 cheques when they were published. We subsequently convinced the ‘SS’ to average out the hours and payments to accord with the regulations. The Benefits Agency staff were quite candid about the sheer complexity of the various regulations. So contact the DSS or whatever it’s called now and I’m 100% certain you’ll find them to be very approachable and friendly. DM.

Latest Threads