Benefits of High Speed Rail project exaggerated, secret report reveals

I suspect if you went back in history the naysayers would have been vocal regarding the needless vanity project of the “London Orbital.” To propose then that 8 lanes would be insufficient would have drawn derision. Ditto a fifth terminal at LHR.

If they use it as a stick to beat the current consortium over the head with they may get a better deal. Doubt that the Chinese could build at the same speed in UK, NIMBY central can't be sorted as easily as protestors in China.

I suspect that this is correct, to use as a stick to beat down the cost

The whole point of the cabinet agreeing HS2 is to pump money into the economy, especially now, giving the money to the Chinese would aid their government coffers not ours

Building HS2 puts money into the economy - people pay taxes - jobs provided - skills retained and developed for future projects - before the economic benefits of the completed rail way are taken into consideration

I believe that Boris`s current majority could easily fade away if the Chinese were selected to do this project

Number 10 has taken control of Number 11, no point in doing that if the taxpayers money is going to be used to further the advance of China`s domination

Boris needs to get the economy moving and his gamble will be tax breaks and pumping money into infrastructure

The UK economy is f@@ed, interest rates low and no inflation and stagnant growth there needs to be a race for growth in the UK

Archie

I wonder if this move has been emboldened by the Heathrow 3rd runway defeat last week

BBC News - HS2: Chris Packham launches legal challenge to rail link

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if this move has been emboldened by the Heathrow 3rd runway defeat last week

Ah Chris Packham, eco warrior. A face one could never tire of punching, and never shy of jumping on any passing bandwagon.

id have though the push for carbon neutrality would’ve helped the case for new rail projects.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
id have though the push for carbon neutrality would’ve helped the case for new rail projects.
Not for our Chris, who won’t be happy until we’re all* living in a carbon neutral pre industrial nirvana roaming the British forests as nomadic hunter gatherers who won’t be allowed to hunt. Or gather.

* By all, obviously that means just Chris as the last surviving human who will then be free to go round lecturing cuckoos for their poor parenting methodology.

Quelle surprise. His lawyers are the most estimable Leigh Day. Who saw that coming.......

Latest Threads