Benefits of High Speed Rail project exaggerated, secret report reveals

I suspect if you went back in history the naysayers would have been vocal regarding the needless vanity project of the “London Orbital.” To propose then that 8 lanes would be insufficient would have drawn derision. Ditto a fifth terminal at LHR.

If they use it as a stick to beat the current consortium over the head with they may get a better deal. Doubt that the Chinese could build at the same speed in UK, NIMBY central can't be sorted as easily as protestors in China.

I suspect that this is correct, to use as a stick to beat down the cost

The whole point of the cabinet agreeing HS2 is to pump money into the economy, especially now, giving the money to the Chinese would aid their government coffers not ours

Building HS2 puts money into the economy - people pay taxes - jobs provided - skills retained and developed for future projects - before the economic benefits of the completed rail way are taken into consideration

I believe that Boris`s current majority could easily fade away if the Chinese were selected to do this project

Number 10 has taken control of Number 11, no point in doing that if the taxpayers money is going to be used to further the advance of China`s domination

Boris needs to get the economy moving and his gamble will be tax breaks and pumping money into infrastructure

The UK economy is f@@ed, interest rates low and no inflation and stagnant growth there needs to be a race for growth in the UK

Archie

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
id have though the push for carbon neutrality would’ve helped the case for new rail projects.
Not for our Chris, who won’t be happy until we’re all* living in a carbon neutral pre industrial nirvana roaming the British forests as nomadic hunter gatherers who won’t be allowed to hunt. Or gather.

* By all, obviously that means just Chris as the last surviving human who will then be free to go round lecturing cuckoos for their poor parenting methodology.

It’s the largest infrastructure project in Europe and now expected to cost more than £100bn.

It's taken a while to crawl out, but....

If they're right (and, doggone it, they're more competent than any body previously covering their present-day portfolio), my local area is in with a good chance of having a multitude of abandoned constructions, standing unexplained across the farmland, like latter-day versions of Percy Bysshe Shelley's statue of Ozymandias, and for the same fvcking reason.

giatttt

War Hero
I watched a documentary about HS2 digging up some old grave yard with zillions of ologists at a cost of insane. It wasn't of any real significance and the Victorians would not even have stopped for a fag break. HS2 is monumentally expensive because of the packhams of this world, the irony being that if they didn't chain themselves to trees with swampy there would actually be money available to boost the numbers of Kingfishers and their ilk.

edited to add: The most feverent ecologists I have met have all been hunting, fishing, shooting folks.

HS2 is monumentally expensive because of the
. . . greedy fvckers managing it.

If I am not mistaken, there are still a large number of small business owners who have had to close down because their land has been subject to compulsory purchase in order to allow HS2 work to progress, but who have not yet received a single red cent from the HS2 consortium to reimburse them in line with the terms of the compulsory purchase.

My reading is that because the nature and geographic distribution of those small businesses makes it really hard for them to come together as a bloc, and launch a viable class action, the HS2 construction profiteers (who don't give a flying fvck if the project is economically viable, as long as their investors Get Rich Quick) are simply dragging their feet, confident that they'll get away with it, and our "levelling up" government doesn't give a sh1t either.

= = = = =

* Stonkernote: I'd be really interested to know if Jakey Greased-Moggie's hedge fund has any financial interest in the ££ outturn of building HS2.

I watched a documentary about HS2 digging up some old grave yard with zillions of ologists at a cost of insane. It wasn't of any real significance and the Victorians would not even have stopped for a fag break. HS2 is monumentally expensive because of the packhams of this world, the irony being that if they didn't chain themselves to trees with swampy there would actually be money available to boost the numbers of Kingfishers and their ilk.

edited to add: The most feverent ecologists I have met have all been hunting, fishing, shooting folks.
There’s a pair of Kingfishers in my garden today. H2S can’t be doing too much damage.

If they're right (and, doggone it, they're more competent than any body previously covering their present-day portfolio), my local area is in with a good chance of having a multitude of abandoned constructions, standing unexplained across the farmland, like latter-day versions of Percy Bysshe Shelley's statue of Ozymandias, and for the same fvcking reason.
Phase 2B is the section they haven’t started building yet between Birmingham and Leeds/York.

The archaeology is done because it’s a legal requirement, and if you had Victorian relatives buried there would you be perfectly happy to see them bulldozed into a landfill?

Latest Threads