Benefit in kind covers quite a bit.

Do not know if this should go here but............
Anybody who has or did have a company mobile and used said phone socially
(friends and family calls) the tax man may come a calling.
An acquaintance just received a £1200 tax demand, from her former employment.
Also Mrs.B&B just got a heads up about her own usage.

edited for usage.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Coincidentally.

A couple of weeks ago I got my new tax code. I read it carefully for a change. Because I retired three years ago (tomorrow), I no longer have private medical insurance as a benefit in kind.

Filled in the online form. Two weeks later, revised tax code and a cheque for overpaid tax. Nice.

A persistent and worrying rumour is that I, and every single on of my colleagues are to be issued with an iphone by UKBF. This is why I don't want one, and I don't need one, either.

I had a company one for some time but for some reason always used my own for personal use.

I had a company one for some time but for some reason always used my own for personal use.
I was always careful to ensure that I made personal calls on my own mobile phone, leaving the company mobile for company business only. That way there was no dispute about my P60 statement. I have always looked at a business mobile as being anything but a benefit, as it was an intrusion into my personal life at nights and weekends, being available outside normal working hours is not a benefit.

I had a works phone and iPad.
Used solely for work purposes, absolutely nothing personal. No internet browsing other than for work and no phone calls either.

I have always looked at a business mobile as being anything but a benefit, as it was an intrusion into my personal life at nights and weekends, being available outside normal working hours is not a benefit.
Young bride has a lot of overseas calls, different time zones and if naughty hits the fan, weekend/bank holidays at very strange times.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am self employed
I have two old fashioned Nokia Phones
one for work and one for private
but I only pay 5.50 per month with giffgaff and the calls are not logged
dont think they will bother me somehow

Funnily enough, I spoke to our accountant about this very issue a few months back.
Apparently it is now assumed that there will be some personal calls made and I was told we pay a small amount in extra tax to account for this.
I have a meeting with them next week and will try to get more info.

An acquaintance just received a £1200 tax demand, from her former employment.
How many tax years did that cover? At the basic rate of 20%, that amounts to £6000 of benefits in kind, which equates to twenty years worth of a £25 per month unlimited calls contract.

I have no idea of time scale just what was told to Ms.B&B, a laptop was also in the mix.

I quite like the way my employer does it. You buy you own phone, and pay your own bill. They reimburse me $75/month for work usage. No tax liability, and the $75 is plenty sufficient.

Donny

ADC
Well, you seem to have put that particular bogeyman back under the bed.
Thank you.
Mrs.B&B's murmur is doubtless corporate policy and not tax driven.

Of the £1200, something a bit more involved methinks.
Don't worry about it - you've probably successfully started an urban myth. In years to come a random arrser will confidently tell people in a pub they're about to be hit with a massive tax bill for their mobile, and cite your half-remembered post as a reliable source.

That's close to immortality - result! ;)

Purple_Flash

ADC
Well, you seem to have put that particular bogeyman back under the bed.
Thank you.
Mrs.B&B's murmur is doubtless corporate policy and not tax driven.

Of the £1200, something a bit more involved methinks.
She is probably trying to hide the amount that she has just spent on a fashion item from your gimlet eye under the disguise of an extra tax.

She is probably trying to hide the amount that she has just spent on a fashion item from your gimlet eye under the disguise of an extra tax.
Not too long ago she was in and out of Italy on a monthly basis, come to think of it she did take overly large suitcases with her.

gimlet eye
More this;

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sorry, I meant to pop this on earlier. Spoke to missus who is in corporate and has a work phone she uses socially.

Says that any company with half a brain cell contacts HMRC and organises a dispensation.

Simples apparently. She says check with your company in case they are unaware they can do it.

Latest Threads