Beneath Hill 60 - New Aussie World War 1 Film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Ancient_Hush_Puppy, Apr 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just returned from the flicks where I saw this film. True story about an Aussie tunnelling company on the Western Front digging beneath the German lines. Film is based on memoirs of leading character. Its style is if anything better than Gallipoli - which IMHO was a social drama until the last 20 minutes - or Breaker Morant - a khaki courtroom drama. Also much better than most recent Aussie war film - Kokoda (39th Bn in UK edition) which did not allow characters to develop. Beneath Hill 60 gets 4 Stars from me. :rmp:

Another thing, I have always hoped that a Brit director would make film of Birdsong, a story about WW1 British RE tunnellers, but now that appears a forlorn hope. :cry:
  2. Trailer looks good, I hope that this film is released in the United States too.

I do wish though, that someone could, or would, find the funds to do justice to British troops (the Trench etc aside). I was watching an episode of "Pacific" from HBO, thinking you will never see something like that made about British troops.
  3. I think the Brit film industry has given up making war films. There is great scope for something contemporary, but I don't think they can be arsed anymore. It's a real shame when you think of Zulu and the Wild geese.
  4. Ah, "Wild Geese". Now there was a movie for you. ;) Nothing but Brit kit as far as the eye can see and the main actors were Richard Burton, Richard Harris, and Roger Moore, famous old school actors in the action genre. And I quite liked Jack Watson as RSM Sandy Young. "There's no Queens Regulations here my lad!" as he squeezed off a round from his pistol to encourage a tired troop during PT training. (Which led to the startled trooper redoubling his efforts) :p :p I believe I knew a sergeant-major like that. :p

Although I know it's supposed to be a work of fiction, does anyone know if it was common for mercenaries with former British Army service behind them to train and fight in their "ops" wearing their old berets with their former regimental cap badges affixed? (My subscription to "Soldier of Fortune" ran out years ago so I don't know who else to ask. :p )
  5. Initally looked promising, I was hoping for good things after the Canadian pap that was Passchendaele, until I came across the following review

"So with ANZAC day fast approaching there’s never a better time for a tale about a bunch of plucky Aussie diggers sticking it to Fritzy and winning the day, all the while giving the middle finger to their incompetent British masters. Thus we have Beneath Hill 60, the David Roach-written Jeremy Sims-directed feature, thoughtfully provided with a legitimising tagline – ‘After Gallipoli there was still a war to be won’ – just in case you had doubts about the film’s street cred."

More Brit - bashing methinks? :cry:
  6. A_H_P,
    Aussies have a short list of memorable war films, remember "The Odd Angry Shot"?

7. Yes. Good film even if totally false in what it depicted.
  8. Gents, that film is very much on a par with other regular themes which arise in the forums, such as - 'I'm about to join regt x. Can anyone give me advice'. 'What's the best day sack around'. 'What's your best 1.5mile run time'................... Seriously though, this particular film topic has been done to death.
  9. I personally thought The Odd Angry Shot was cheesy and pretty dire. Having said that it is part of my dvd War collection :rmp:

Japster no Aussie war film can resist a bit of Pommy bashing and yes its included in BH60. There's an upper class English officer and some cor blimey squaddies.
  10. Rather hoped they would leave it at Gallipoli!
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

12. Not necessarily...,,hollywood-ending-for-faulkss-birdsong-film,76765
  13. As far as I am aware, those mercenaries who were ex-Army and paid to fight for the FNLA in Angola in 1975/76, in the main wore their own combat kit, berets and cap badges, much of which they had retained on discharge. Among documents recovered by my old Section from those who returned in 1976, and were not put up against a wall and shot, were official military training manuals, classified RESTRICTED. However, again, as far as I can gather, these mercenaries, although armed with archaic weapons, were very much abandoned and left to fend for themselves with no clear command structure, unlike those who had previously fought in the Belgian Congo.