Bench fighting in the modern world.

Discussion in 'REME' started by Crafty990, Feb 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently teaching bench fighting to a load of 14-18 year olds (we call it hand skills these days) but I cant find a decent bit of literature on it. I remember when I was taught it back in SEME not that long ago, they produced a decent precis on the subject. It included reading a micrometer, securing devices, thread types, that sort of jazz. If anyone could get hold of a copy and possibly email me some scannned images or photocopy it and chuck it in the post, I would be more that willing to meet any costs incurred. Any ideas on stuff to fabricate would be most welcome too as the current plans we use are looking a bit old fashioned.
    Anything from the last, say 15 years would be ideal.
  2. Do you mean "bench fitting" or are you really teaching how to fight on a bench?
  3. Perhaps it's a tougher version of chair fighting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Well if you've got to explain it....... Never mind, bench "fitting".
  5. Perhaps it would be worth getting in touch with the technical side of SEME to see if they can lend a hand and send over some information.
  6. Go on then, explain it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Or fighting in a trench.
  8. Or even frightening a tench,i'm so confused.
  9. Spoiler: This post is unhelpful; don't expect the answer to slap you on the arse as you read it.

Don't bother trying to get anything out of SEME, they're programmed to self destruct if anyone still in uniform asks for info. God only knows what'll happen if a civvy askspresumably it'll be a Matrix stylee reset of the whole mainframe.

Sorry but all my old SEME precis went up in the Donningon blaze. Good kindling...

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Is this something to do with FIGS - Fighting in Gyms and Sportshalls?
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No, that is fighting in a trench.

No, that is fighting a fish. A novel concept but a mate of mine had a right ruck with a giant fish in the Volga. Or so he claims. I think the **** drowned because he was pissed as a rat. But in Russia they do not have CSE's so we will never know.

To the OP... try this lot. And prepare to be bored. Some of them own sheds.

UK Stationary Engine Forum - Powered by Enthusiasts
  12. Just give them hammer
  13. Nothing wrong with stationary engines. At least you know that you can walk away from it to have a beer and it'll still be in the same field when you get back.
  14. Surely any tech college would help you out, try the National School of Blacksmithing at Holme Lacey near Hereford - they teach general fitting, or Warwick College do a simiar thing.

Or there'll be books aplenty written by proper craftsmen, usually just after they retired.

T'TIDS idea isn't a daft one, that or the railway restoration bunch or the traction engine lunatics.