Ben Slater of Nomad Concept Groups and evac of Afghan civvies effort, another Pen Farthing bandwagon jumper?

A pity for his staff, but he's been lucky to dodge a bullet (possibly, quite literally). Apologies for the Wail link, but original is paywalled.

'A former British soldier has been arrested by the Taliban while attempting to evacuate 400 Afghans.

'Ben Slater, 37, was thrown in prison on Thursday morning and questioned regarding members of his 50 staff, most of whom are single women and had been staying in hotel rooms near a border checkpoint.

'The former member of the Royal Military Police runs a chain of NGOs in Afghanistan, and had been attempting to evacuate his staff over a land border after failing to secure spots for them and their families on the British airlift from Kabul.

'However, his mission failed after a coach carrying the staff was turned away at a land border. It is not clear which country the coach was attempting to cross into.

'Slater was released later on Thursday and told he could cross the border with one assistant, but that the rest of his staff had to remain in Afghanistan, The Telegraph reported.'

A pity for his staff, but he's been lucky to dodge a bullet (possibly, quite literally). Apologies for the Wail link, but original is paywalled.

'A former British soldier has been arrested by the Taliban while attempting to evacuate 400 Afghans.

'Ben Slater, 37, was thrown in prison on Thursday morning and questioned regarding members of his 50 staff, most of whom are single women and had been staying in hotel rooms near a border checkpoint.

'The former member of the Royal Military Police runs a chain of NGOs in Afghanistan, and had been attempting to evacuate his staff over a land border after failing to secure spots for them and their families on the British airlift from Kabul.

'However, his mission failed after a coach carrying the staff was turned away at a land border. It is not clear which country the coach was attempting to cross into.

'Slater was released later on Thursday and told he could cross the border with one assistant, but that the rest of his staff had to remain in Afghanistan, The Telegraph reported.'

He needs to start whinging on YouTube... it appears social media DOES work on pressuring the UK gov... oh wait... consular assistance? Probably non-existant

What NGO was he running and how was it funded - anyone know

Archie
Well in the UK as far as Companies House is concerned all Ben Slaters companies are dissolved, not saying he isn't a legal set up but there is no prescence in the UK, probably due to tax implications if turning over a profit, according to his online set up there are outlets or a presence in USA and Middle East, either that or most of the commercial work is "off books"

I can tollerate this story, because at least he isn't a fcuking Alpaca awaiting execution.

Wow most of you on this thread have a lot of negative things to say about people and situations you have nothing to do with and have never come face to face with. It comes down to people here. I went to school with Ben. He’s always had a humanitarian attitude, even as a kid. If you can look at the people who are suffering, through no fault of their own, and then just bitch and moan, do you even have a heart? Of course he was going to try and help as many people as he can and not just **** off at the sign of danger, he’s a decent bloke! His business was investing in start up company’s who were largely run by woman, to help the economy of a country he chose to stay living in, after serving in the military police, being a bodyguard to British ambassadors. I can totally understand why he wants the British governments help now. I can totally understand why he wants to help the woman and their families, who’s businesses he’s given money to, escape the war torn country. I mean the very fact they started businesses with his help puts them in the firing line for the Taliban. I fear for his safety, since his release from the Taliban on Thursday he’s disappeared, his business partner has no idea where he is and can’t get hold of him. He’s disappeared from social media and he wouldn’t have just given up on those 400 people. So maybe show a little compassion for the guy, the situation and the people involved who are worried, both those there for their own safety and the ones hear who haven’t a clue if he’s even still alive. Stop bitching and moaning, be thankful we are not there living in fear. I for one can not imagine the terror of the situation and I’ve been speaking directly to someone there living it. How disrespectful of you.

Wow most of you on this thread have a lot of negative things to say about people and situations you have nothing to do with and have never come face to face with. It comes down to people here. I went to school with Ben. He’s always had a humanitarian attitude, even as a kid. If you can look at the people who are suffering, through no fault of their own, and then just bitch and moan, do you even have a heart? Of course he was going to try and help as many people as he can and not just **** off at the sign of danger, he’s a decent bloke! His business was investing in start up company’s who were largely run by woman, to help the economy of a country he chose to stay living in, after serving in the military police, being a bodyguard to British ambassadors. I can totally understand why he wants the British governments help now. I can totally understand why he wants to help the woman and their families, who’s businesses he’s given money to, escape the war torn country. I mean the very fact they started businesses with his help puts them in the firing line for the Taliban. I fear for his safety, since his release from the Taliban on Thursday he’s disappeared, his business partner has no idea where he is and can’t get hold of him. He’s disappeared from social media and he wouldn’t have just given up on those 400 people. So maybe show a little compassion for the guy, the situation and the people involved who are worried, both those there for their own safety and the ones hear who haven’t a clue if he’s even still alive. Stop bitching and moaning, be thankful we are not there living in fear. I for one can not imagine the terror of the situation and I’ve been speaking directly to someone there living it. How disrespectful of you.
Could you take his whole length do you think?

So no one on ARRSE has deployed on operations in Afghanistan and seen for themselves first hand what Afghanistan is about, is that what you are saying?

Are you saying because you fancy him and his credentials aren't crystal clear and transparent online he doesn't deserve scrutinizing?

By the way who exactly is his business partner and where can we find out a bit more?

Last edited:

Slime

LE

A good post, but you appear to have left out your military experience, and in particular what operations you took part in.

I realise this was probably just something you thought was SO obvious that you didn’t need to include it, but as you mentioned people not being face to face with a situation I feel it’s relevant that you back up your own assertion. :)

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Paragraphs are your friend.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
With regards to Mr Farting and Mr Slater, I can say that they probably have noble intentions, but why were they still in-country? They knew that the handover was happening, yet didn't leave or make arrangements immediately.

They decided to put themselves into harm's way and then expect HMG to drop everything and extract them. I don't know anything about Slater except a couple of mildly warm anecdotes from some forumites here. He might be a humanitarian, he might be a sex-trafficker, I do not know.

If he's on the level, I hope it gets resolved, but at the end of the day, he, (like Farting) should've known this might be a possibility.

Dear All,

Thank you for your kind words and hope you are well, ive just been informed about this feed. It has no doubt been a very long several weeks and a disappointing end to 8 years of hard work within the country of Afghanistan. We are pleased with our efforts of thus far evacuating successfully to different top tier countries 112 Vulnerable Afghans to include many qualified under the ARAPs scheme for UK. The events witnessed were diabolical and no one in this day and age should be treated in that manner, or be left in that risk or fear especially women.
I wanted to be clear I could of left early on, but please understand as a business owner and head of a corporate group (That has different group companies and NGOs registered in many countries - I dissolved/Closed everything in UK pre Brexit for obvious reasons as any savvy business man would) has many responsibilities, commitments, loyaltys and considerations of safety to its staff and HR obligations. To add rapidly shutting down 8 years of work. This is what kept me in country. TO BE CLEAR I have only been released from Taliban Captivity/Jail Monday 13th yesterday and have been locked in a cell in not so good conditions for over 2 weeks, the news reported incorrectly. Fortunately I Now have access to my work and phone. If you don't agree with what I did taking responsibility for my staff as Chairman of a group, that does not concern us or the company brand or image. The fact is we will continue to work on how we can keep the companies afloat in the region after this disaster and will continue to move out staff to our other offices so they are safe and not a burden on the society that accepts them.
We are proud of NCG and the way we have conducted ourselves, our reputation is still strong and positive with our stakeholders - and please do not compare us to PEN Farthing. We are a completely different animal excuse the pun.

Benjamin Slater
Chairman
Nomad Concepts Group (NCG) & Subsidiaries

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
Best of luck for the future.

I also hope you get to enjoy a cold beer soon.

Out of interest, how did you find the Taliban now the shoe is on the other foot?