Ben Roberts-Smith VC Defamation Trial

More like a feckin' huge Aussie battler. He's a monster.
He is...
Screenshot_20210726-223328_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have also met BRS and his wife although a week apart. I may have even had a coffee with her. Both occasions were informal and the person who introduced me was named in the media as part of the topic of this thread.

That was quite a while ago and I have a suitable amount of respect for him in his achievements both on and off the field. I have also met Keith Payne a couple of times and last time he was a bit of a grumpy old bugger and was put in his place considering the circumstances.

I too will await the outcome of both inquiries. As someone who has been through something similar in the media but not named personally, I can only imagine what he is going through.
I'm astonished that I never ran into Keith Payne at any of the messes I was a member of. Most people I knew who had met him would agree with you that he was a grumpy bugger. Perhaps being awarded the VC is a real burden - and CSgt Bourne had the right idea.

QRK2

LE
I'm astonished that I never ran into Keith Payne at any of the messes I was a member of. Most people I knew who had met him would agree with you that he was a grumpy bugger. Perhaps being awarded the VC is a real burden - and CSgt Bourne had the right idea.

IIRC he's gone on record as being of the same opinion about himself.

Bourne turned down a commission, not the VC.

Keith Payne has suffered from mental health issues since his return from Vietnam so I'm not surprised that is comes across as a grumpy bugger. I think that he refers to them as his "brainoes".

Bourne turned down a commission, not the VC.

Keith Payne has suffered from mental health issues since his return from Vietnam so I'm not surprised that is comes across as a grumpy bugger. I think that he refers to them as his "brainoes".
I think he went to Dhofar in 1975 as a contract officer or WO with SOAF but didn't last long as his PTSD from Vietnam kicked in. @retread2 might be aware?

I think he went to Dhofar in 1975 as a contract officer or WO with SOAF but didn't last long as his PTSD from Vietnam kicked in. @retread2 might be aware?
I knew he had been there, he has the Oman GSM in his enormous rack, but it's hard to see. To be honest, when I was there I probably hadn't heard of him so couldn't cast around. I do know that I never heard anyone refer to 'an Aussie VC' in whatever unit.

Having had a quick shufti at Wiki, he was there 1975 - 76 so roughly at the same time as me. He has the As Sumood medal so would have to have pre-dated me by a few months at least. He would have been there for the final post-monsoon op.

Latest Threads