Ben Roberts-Smith VC Defamation Trial

TamH70

MIA
I love the Guardian's po-faced 'fact checking' in this article:

Oh really! Thank you ever so much the Guardian, I would have assumed that it was the Swiss psychoanalyst talking about the whores and politicans and all their sex and murder. What ever would I do without you there to offer corrections to direct quotes you include in your articles.

Other Guardian fact-checking scoops:
Saville didn't do anything. Savile, on the other hand, did.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Saville didn't do anything. Savile, on the other hand, did.
Fair point. Lot of people and news seem to get that wrong!

TamH70

MIA

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Roberts-Smith witness backs cornfield shot

Person 11 was in the box today. He gives evidence which supports BRS's version of events in the 2012 Darwan allegation, where it is alleged he kicked an Afghan over a cliff and planted a radio on him after he was subsequently executed (the Sparticus affair. He was with BRS at the scene when they engaged a spotter and killed him, in line with the rules of engagement.

Another nail in the coffin of the media's case. Masters and Christie don't look too happy.

7f6b9a47c9ec6a5d6ac8247f3e291449.jpg

SAS witnesses denies Afghan teen murdered

Person 11 still in the box.

You Tube videos of Ben Roberts-Smith trial cut after sensitive information disclosed

And it seems that sensitive information and the identity of SASR witnesses is being inadvertently disclosed via the court sanctioned videos posted on You Tube.

It will come as no surprise that Nine's legal team was opposed to this - Apparently in the interest of openness and transparency :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ben Roberts-Smith: Girllfriend injured in fall

An independent witnesses gives evidence that BRS's girlfriend/mistress substained facial injuries when she fell down stairs pissed. She claims she got them when BRS punched her, which he denies.

He He He

The newspapers’ barrister, Nicholas Owens, SC, did not seek to cross-examine Nichols on his evidence.

When your defence of '' Truth '' gets blown out the water for a 2nd time - It is probably best to keep quiet.

The Graun has some additional details

Nichols asked two Australian federal police officers, who were nearby, to arrange for an ambulance for her, because of the size of the haematoma:

Nichols said he left Person 17 with the AFP officers and went to find Roberts-Smith in the car park. He found Roberts-Smith and directed him back to Person 17. He did not see either of them again.

Shouldn't be too difficult to track down the 2 AFP Officers and get the truth verified ;) ;)

Sas soldier first heard Roberts-Smith cliff kick accusations in Breteton enquiry

Person 32 in the dock today. The events of 2012 being examined including the phantom Afghan dog shooter. He backs up BRS and his other witnesses in his evidence.

Australian invetigative journalists seen scanning 'vacancies' in Sydney job centre.

The court has previously heard the same soldier has been accused of a war crime killing that has been slammed as a “blatant lie” cooked up by an Afghan journalist and villagers.

Who would have believed that?

Sas soldier first heard Roberts-Smith cliff kick accusations in Breteton enquiry

Person 32 in the dock today. The events of 2012 being examined including the phantom Afghan dog shooter. He backs up BRS and his other witnesses in his evidence.

Australian invetigative journalists seen scanning 'vacancies' in Sydney job centre.

The court has previously heard the same soldier has been accused of a war crime killing that has been slammed as a “blatant lie” cooked up by an Afghan journalist and villagers.

Who would have believed that?

Pretty damning article

No one has been charged for any of the alleged incidents in Nine‘s case or the Brereton Inquiry - which authorities are still investigating.

I wonder why the person in the body cam footage ( from the other thread ) has not been charged with murder - It had a few posters frothing at the mouth and claiming it was a slam dunk murder.

Did the ( Not shown ) footage show the Afghani throwing away his weapon and ICOM just before the soldier caught up with him ?

Ben Roberts-Smith calls top SAS officer to defamation trial

Person 32 in the box again today. One interesting bit that might have a big bearing on the end result.

This week the court heard a secretive witness, known only as Person 81, will be subpoenaed to give evidence in the high profile defamation suit.

Person 81 was on another mission, in 2009, where Mr Roberts-Smith is accused of two more prisoner executions - both of which he denies.

Mr Roberts-Smith won a bid to subpoena Person 81, who is now one of the top brass in the SAS regiment, after other witnesses said he was present when a tunnel was found beneath a Taliban compound known as Whiskey 108.

Nine claims two Afghans were found in the tunnel and detained by the SAS before Mr Roberts-Smith executed one and ordered a rookie soldier to shoot the second.

Mr Roberts-Smith and his supporters deny anyone was executed at Whiskey 108 and further deny anyone was found inside the tunnel beneath the insurgent base.

Person 81, according to other witnesses, was present when the tunnel was discovered.

It’s not yet known what the senior officer will say about the raid on Whiskey 108 because much of the legal argument was heard behind closed doors.

What is known is that Person 81’s subordinates have, so far, testified in one of two ways; some say no one was found in the tunnel, others say the SAS covered up a war crime.

I somehow don't think he will be saying that the SAS covered up a war crime.

Another one

An SAS soldier codenamed Person 38, on Wednesday, told the court he was standing a few metres from the group of Australian troops that had unearthed the tunnel.

“Did you see anyone come out of the tunnel?” Mr Roberts-Smith’s barrister asked him.

“No, I did not,” Person 38 replied.

And interestingly

Person 38 also told the court, unlike many of the other witnesses, he had not been interviewed by the Inspector General of the Australian Defence Force, who conducted an inquiry into war crime allegations against the SAS.

Seems odd that a men who was standing a few metres away would not be interviewed.

The Judge has ruled that Person 9 cannot give evidence by AVL

Person 9 is the man who Nine claim was acting as a prisoner during training and Roberts - Smith ordered Person 10 to execute him.

Person 9's written submission

7. I am advised that the Respondents have alleged that during the training exercises, while I was playing a detainee in a training scenario, the Applicant allegedly brought Person 10 to where I was squatting and said: “kill him”, following which the Applicant then allegedly said to Person 10: “You good with that? Because that is how it is going to be when we get over there.”

8. I have no recollection of the training scenario as referred to in the preceding paragraph as having taken place.

He then clarified his written submission by submitting

a) I do not recall the alleged incident;

b) I do not recall playing a detainee or a PUC at that time at all;

c) For part of my career I worked as a dog handler and would have played the role of decoy on occasion, but even that would not have meant that I was playing a detainee;

d) If the alleged incident had happened, I believe I would have remembered it, but I do not;

e) I read a media report of these proceedings where another witness reportedly gave evidence suggesting that the alleged incident took place at Lancelin. I do not believe that the alleged incident as described could have taken place there because of the particular facilities there as opposed to other places where training took place.

The enigma that is Person 12 strikes again

Person 39 - Ex SBS

An Afghan soldier who was allegedly directed by Ben Roberts-Smith to order the unlawful execution of a prisoner was not present on the day in question, according to a former elite soldier supporting the war veteran in his defamation case.

He said he was informed at a briefing in 2012 that Person 12 had been stood down from working with the SAS in late July, meaning that the Afghan soldier could not have been present with Roberts-Smith in October.

Person 81 - The man who is most likely to blow Nine right out of the water, has been delayed in taking the stand.

The change of Government means that there is no AG to sign off on :-

Person 81 was expected to be questioned about the raid but top secret ADF documents would need to be released to the legal teams from the Commonwealth government before he took the stand.

If Nine's legal team were not sweating before - They will certainly be sweating now.