Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Parkinson to sue MoD and NHS.

Injured soldier Ben Parkinson launches review of his care - BBC News

The link provides some vague details, but doesn't actually state what exactly the issue is.

What isn't mentioned, but is on other sources is that he's looking for crowd funding to cover the legal fees.

Ben is still in rehab, but doesn't attend Headley Court. He receives a bespoke care package paid for by the MoD and NHS.

I'm on the fence with this, there's a distinct lack of information.

What are your thoughts?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

The link provides some vague details, but doesn't actually state what exactly the issue is.

What isn't mentioned, but is on other sources is that he's looking for crowd funding to cover the legal fees.

Ben is still in rehab, but doesn't attend Headley Court. He receives a bespoke care package paid for by the MoD and NHS.

What are your thoughts?
Is the compensation supposed to cover his care?

That if he needs crowdfunding his case isn't that strong......

The no win no fee vultures would be all over this like a rash if they thought there was dosh in it.

That is all I have to say on the matter, I don't see the point of dragging his (complicated) medical history and the possibile failings of the NHS or strength of previous compensation payments through the pages of arrse.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
I don't have any hard and fast thoughts on this but if he's still serving then the MOD should be covering his med bills as long as they are fair.
Why is he getting bespoke treatment and not Headley court? Are his ongoing injurys not treatable at Headley? The bit that I'm puzzled by. He wants better treatment. But in a linked article he's canoed 250miles in the Yukon. This is the bit that gets me, surely his ongoing treatment is sufficient for him to complete that trip but not for everyday life?
I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that us the great unwashed aren't being made aware of.

Is the compensation supposed to cover his care?

It shouldn't, his care is an ongoing legal obligation, whilst compensation is a monetary settlement meant to cover actual and perceived losses, earnings position, prospects of future employment etc.... It will not have been awarded to make him a private patient. I would *guess* that there is an inter-departmental mechanism where the costs of an NHS Trust treating a military patient is covered by a budget transfer from the MoD and that it's been fcuked up...

No George Osbourne specifically said that compensation is not to be used to cover care costs.

His Personal Independance Package (Pip Payment) would have been designed to cover that.....

Why is he getting bespoke treatment and not Headley court?

Good question, deserves an answer, but I don't have it. There are lots of rumours flying about.

I believe that Ben was one of the last injured soldiers that were promised he'd have a job for life in the Army regardless of his injuries. The policy changed since then and is the MoD rehabilitates to the point at which the NHS can take over then they are discharged from service.

Jammy66

War Hero
As you say there's a lack of detail to make an informed opinion but I can guess it's probably down mostly to a lack of 'joined up' care between the relevant bodies and frustration with dealing with red tape.

I've heard a number of similarly injured complain at the lack of support, including one very high profile guy, which makes me think if he's having problems just imagine what the thousands of others who the public never hear about are going through. That and personal experience trying to arrange care for my parents in the past (trying to deal with the local council and NHS services).

If Ben Parkinson and his family feel they have a case to be answered then good luck to them.

syrup

LE
I thought the MoD was covering his medical costs and that he was still on strength
When ever he seems to be on the local news up here he seems to be accompanied by some Army rehabilitation / PT types.
I wondered if it was because he's being handed over to the NHS that his family feels his bespoke treatment will or has suffered and is no longer as good.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
It shouldn't, his care is an ongoing legal obligation, whilst compensation is a monetary settlement meant to cover actual and perceived losses, earnings position, prospects of future employment etc.... It will not have been awarded to make him a private patient. I would *guess* that there is an inter-departmental mechanism where the costs of an NHS Trust treating a military patient is covered by a budget transfer from the MoD and that it's been fcuked up...
That's what the article says though and I assume it is the MOD/CCG/Council who would cover care costs.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ask Mark Ormrod?

Given that Dingerr has spent more time in Ben's company than any of us, if he is not prepared to venture a hard opinion on this issue then its a tough call.

Sadly, in my flat headed book, Ben like every single guy I met at DMRC,put his life on the line for us. Like all of them, he also signed on the dotted line,for better,for worse.

Sad situation - and one for Solomon.

Last edited:
There was mention of a wheelchair in one article I have found.

There is an ongoing issue with wheelchairs. We find ourselves in a strange situation where it has been enshrined in law that through life care will be provided for those requiring prosthetics. A genius knee fitted is 100k so 200k for a double above knee amputee every 7 years.

There is no continued provision for wheelchairs.

Then is his care worse than any other person with a severe disability is what I think is key.

I would take a guess at saying his care is better.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I would take a guess at saying his care is better.
Quite possibly and some will feel that is only right and proper, I think so personally but would everyone else? Would others feel injured soldiers should get more or the same as others?

What are your thoughts?

I was told he is (or was) the longest person on Wis. I do wonder if its him pushing for more help or his "supporters"

I'll always admire him for this snippet though

We learnt that he had won a regimental 'Blind Date' contest in Iraq, the prize being dinner with a page 3 girl. When the girl gave him a signed photo and wrote 'you were the best' - Ben responded by writing 'I've had better'.

******* legend

A genius knee fitted is 100k so 200k for a double above knee amputee every 7 years.

200k?
peg-leg-marijuana-fire-wife.jpg

Can't he whittle his own

Latest Threads