Ben Flowers Sent Off - Super League Grand Final

ACAB

LE
Bloody Hell! Ben Flowers sent off in the first five minutes for an outrageous assault that would have him arrested if he did it in the street!

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
Oh dear I don't think we have heard the last of that.
My sentiments exactly. I think he will need to speak to a brief before Mr Plod have a little 'Confession Session' with him. No way out I'm afraid.

St.Helens born and raised and I am getting grief because I pointed out if he hadn't have got a forearm in the mush he might not have lost his rag.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

ACAB

LE
Yep, but as that idiot Beckham found out against Argentina, retaliate and you're damned.

Jesus H what possesed him? Doesn't come under any thing but a very nasty assault and hitting a guy whose on the deck and offering zero resistance would be regarded as shit drills round here pissed up on a night out let alone on the pitch. Throw the book at the cnut.

they'll be more to that than meets the eye no-doubt ,they probable have a bit of history with each other.

is he an aussie ?they generally have far more of that than the english game

ACAB

LE
they'll be more to that than meets the eye no-doubt ,they probable have a bit of history with each other.

Born in Cardiff.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
At what point do incidents on a sport's field become a matter for the constabulary?

He'd just knocked on so probably some verbals but doesn't excuse that.

ACAB

LE
At what point do incidents on a sport's field become a matter for the constabulary?
Blatant assault.

In sports such as Rugby, Boxing and Football (and in some kinky sex games) it is understood that you 'consent' to physical contact amounting to 'assault' in line with the spirit of the game. However, imagine the outrage if a heavyweight boxer straddled his opponent, whilst on the deck, and whacked him. This will not end well for young Ben.

He'd just knocked on so probably some verbals but doesn't excuse that.

The forearm smash to the face from Lance Hohaia was a bit more than verbal. Flowers went that bit too far after pushing him over.

O Zangado

War Hero
In my humble wassname the first punch, whatever any antecedents between the players, was a red card offence whilst the second is a criminal one. No excuse.

OZ

lert

LE
Blatant assault.

In sports such as Rugby, Boxing and Football (and in some kinky sex games) it is understood that you 'consent' to physical contact amounting to 'assault' in line with the spirit of the game. However, imagine the outrage if a heavyweight boxer straddled his opponent, whilst on the deck, and whacked him. This will not end well for young Ben.

I bloody hope it doesn't end well for him. I know it's League but it's still rugby. It's a bloody hard contact game and there's always been and hopefully always will be room for a spot of big lads windmilling. But blindsiding a bloke and smashing him on the deck's a cnuts trick.

All that said, I'd rather see it dealt with in the changing room by the teammates he's just so badly let down rather than in front of the beak.

Edited for fat fingers.

Punching a man while he is motionless and on the floor is unacceptable in a fight outside a boozer let alone the sports pitch.

Hopefully they make an example of the cnut.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

philc

LE
Firstly a shity thing to do, the other bloke looked spark out when he landed the punch. Looking like prison time, and deservedly so, Others in the past have done bird for less.

Makes the Suarez bite look look a playground tiff.
I hope they make an example of him and he never plays rugby in this country again. The first punch, whilst clearly a red card, could be put down to red mist,and being overly hyped up at the beginning of the final. The second punch is nothing short of assult. No excuses and not something we want to see in either code of rugby.
Send him down your Honour!

Hohaia's off the ball cheap shot is what started it and in return he got sparked. If Flower had left off after his first dig then I suspect they would have both got off with a sin binning each. As it was, Flowers snapped and the second unjustifiable punch meant both players ended up missing out on the season's biggest occasion for different reasons.

It's a hard game played by hard men. The occasional overspill of fisticuffs is inevitable but they're all big boys who can deal with it. Flower will be dealt with by the RFL. Hohaia has already accepted Flower's apology and stated he wants no further action to be taken, as has the Saints coach. I suspect what this really boils down to is the sports media trend of getting outraged on other peoples behalf and over sensationalizing events.

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
A 6-month ban:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/29612687
Wigan prop Ben Flower has been given a six-month ban - the longest in Super League history - for punching St Helens' Lance Hohaia.

Flower, 26, punched Hohaia to the ground two minutes into Saturday's Grand Final, then landed a second blow while the New Zealander lay prone.

He was sent off as the Warriors were beaten 14-6.

The ban until 14 April takes in 10 Super League games and the World Club Series match against Brisbane Broncos.

Hohaia had already accepted a one-game suspension for a forearm strike which came before Flower's punches.

Analysis: BBC Radio 5 live's George Riley
"It's the worst thing I've seen on a league pitch and the ban had to be huge. Flower's horrible error of judgement has hurt the sport. It ensures this final will always be remembered for that disgusting mistake rather than as the year St Helens ended their losing run. But to suggest rugby league might be irreparably damaged by this is ludicrous. It has been dealt with correctly and one high-profile individual implosion should not tarnish rugby league's proud reputation as a family sport."

Flower was charged with a Grade F offence - the most serious in the sport's disciplinary rules - of "violent and aggressive punching" and "punching an off-guard opponent", a charge which carries a minimum of an eight-game ban.

Wigan rugby general manager Kris Radlinski, who accompanied Flower to the hearing at the Rugby Football League's, said in a statement: "Wigan Warriors would like to go on record in saying that the RFL disciplinary committee handled a very difficult situation with professionalism and integrity.

"We fully support their assessment of Saturday night's incident involving our player, Ben Flower. We will be making no appeal.

"We would like to apologise to Lance Hohaia and his family and to the St Helens club and fans. St Helens' win on Saturday has been overshadowed by the incident and that is wrong."

In becoming the first man to be sent off in a Grand Final, Flower left his side down to 12 men for the majority of the match at Old Trafford, which St Helens won to end an eight-year wait for the Super League title.

St Helens captain Paul Wellens on BBC Radio 5 live
"I'm not surprised. It's a given it was going to be a lengthy suspension. It was a pretty unsavoury incident. He's said himself he is very disappointed, but it's quite clear the RFL have sent a message that that type of behaviour won't be tolerated.

"I've met Ben and he's a really nice lad and he's said it's really out of character for him and I'm sure he'll be hurting.

"Rugby league people in general are quite forgiving. There will be a lot of scrutiny when he returns but he will go away and serve his punishment and after that he will be integrated back into the Wigan team as normal."

Saints chairman Eamonn McManus said: "The sport of rugby league should not be judged by this event, but by how it deals with it.

"We must assist (Flower) in any way that we can and accept him back into the sport. There is a person behind the player, and I am reliably informed by all that it is a good one."

For Wigan, the defeat ended their defence of the Super League crown and the pursuit of a fourth title.

Former Wigan player Martin Offiah told BBC Radio 5 live: "There is a lot of emotion around what was a big occasion but sadly it was in effect ruined by this incident in which I believe both players played their part. It was a sad day for rugby league.

"The sport was on show, it's a big event and the pictures are very graphic and all the apologies in the world won't wipe these away.

"No one can condone that second punch to the head and he's apologised for that but Lance Hohaia must take some consideration for his actions."

Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Police said in a tweet they are investigating "abusive social media activity" surrounding the Grand Final

The Beeb website had a nice typo earlier on
Lunch.JPG

Latest Threads