BEM recipents.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Biscuits_Brown, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very common award I realise, but my maternal Grandfather received the BEM for service in RUC/Prison Service. I know that his picture was in the Belfast Telegraph and I'd like a print to frame for my Grandmother for Christmas.

Only problem is I've absolutely no idea at what point in his career, and hence year he was awarded it and can't very well ask without blowing the surprise.

Is there anywhere I can search/check?
  2. Can you search via the website of the London Gazette, sorry, Belfast Gazette? That ought to be able to give you a date to within a week or three.
    The newspaper probably has an archive, though it might well be on microfilm.
  3. They have computer archives but searches are carried out by their staff and the "require" a year.
    Thanks for your help.
  4. Like abeaumont says, the Gazette. Give me some clues (such as his name, for starters - by PM if you prefer) and I'll look.
  5. I got it from the Gazette, New Year Honours '68. Didn't think it would go "down" to BEM.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They do Biscuits.
    BEMs are there for issue on 1 Jan 1968 & same for 1 Jan 1969
  7. It now goes "down" as far as LS&GC.
  8. So I see... Big database. Thanks for the help all. Now just to see if the goons in the paper can find the pic.
  9. BEM not as common as you would think. I wouldn't say no.

It would look great with my BAOR Medal.