• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Belting CAST (N) weekend

Another top weekend at CAST(N).

The next one in is October.

I cannot believe that only one regiment in 42 Bde could be bothered to send their officers along.

msr

MSR

Glad to hear you enjoyed the CAST(N) event and took the effort to put it on ARRSE. For those not in the know, this is a HQ 2 Div sponsored event for Officers, O/Cdts and WO's who wish to develop a greater understanding of the 7 Q's process. There are two events each year in Mar and Oct in Catterick, details of which are cascaded down to units via Bde HQ's.

The next one is going to be MASSIVE.

msr

Will post up more nearer the time.

msr

OK: Yes it's a big TEWT and yes, there is a bit of powerpoint involved.

msr

fly_guy said:
For those not in the know, this is a HQ 2 Div sponsored event for Officers, O/Cdts and WO's who wish to develop a greater understanding of the 7 Q's process.
What about SSgts? My TA job involves using the 7 Q's to make plans but I haven't been formally taught it.

thanks

editted to add: what about Sgts? We have one that will also be using 7 Q's next year

polar said:
fly_guy said:
For those not in the know, this is a HQ 2 Div sponsored event for Officers, O/Cdts and WO's who wish to develop a greater understanding of the 7 Q's process.
What about SSgts? My TA job involves using the 7 Q's to make plans but I haven't been formally taught it.

thanks

editted to add: what about Sgts? We have one that will also be using 7 Q's next year
If you haven't been taught it, the CAST may be a bit fast paced. No disrespect intended.

I did raise a PXR point that it would be helpful if the groups were split into pre- and post-JOTAC, to focus more on the 'ED' for the former and 'IP' for the latter. That said if you turn up and pin your ears back you will be in for some of the best instruction from the Army's gurus of the 7Qs.

If there is going to be a 'Pre-JOTAC' syndicate in October, get on it.

I am going to amend some of the pages in the e-nirex over the Easter weekend (no time till then :( ) based on the last weekend.

msr

msr said:
If you haven't been taught it, the CAST may be a bit fast paced. No disrespect intended.
None taken. Its interesting you say that, given your previous unit. In a way the Sgt is a OCdt, I'm a '2Lt', my next slot is 'Lt' (WO2) maybe going onto be a proper (LE) Capt.
I was surprised to find very little orders content on my SSgt course, basically came down to you need to do use these headings. My regular counterpart has a very good understanding of the 7 Q's, he's taught me the infantry 7 Q's, from which I found I could easily produce a comms plan from. I've struggled to understand the 2 Sig Bde 7 Q's - which seem to be about converting officers to produce comms plans.

polar said:
msr said:
None taken. Its interesting you say that, given your previous unit.
There is more than one reason that I left...

And I notice they still have no YO training programme.

msr

Spanish_Dave said:
Is there a gingerrr ex WO1 working at CAST
Not seen.

msr

msr said:
polar said:
fly_guy said:

thanks

I did raise a PXR point that it would be helpful if the groups were split into pre- and post-JOTAC, to focus more on the 'ED' for the former and 'IP' for the latter. That said if you turn up and pin your ears back you will be in for some of the best instruction from the Army's gurus of the 7Qs.

If there is going to be a 'Pre-JOTAC' syndicate in October, get on it.

I am going to amend some of the pages in the e-nirex over the Easter weekend (no time till then :( ) based on the last weekend.

msr
Have just rechecked my JOTAC notes and found nothing to suppliment the e-nirex