Belt

#1
Can anybody tell me what the correct designation of this belt is please, assuming it an issue belt.
 

Attachments

#6
lonegroover said:
37 pattern?
Too new!
I'm sure I have seen then being worn quite recently as barrack dress, before anybody throws the anorack badge at me.............I'm asking for a friend! :oops:
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#7
It isn't a 58 belt. No holes and the dangling things are not close enough together and look to be on the inside.

What colour is it?

What does the inside look like?

Can you post pictures of the inside please.
 
#8
lonegroover said:
37 pattern?
I thought that too at first, but it's diffy the two buckles at the back and has two loop thingies at the side. I can't think what they might be for.

But a lot of later model 37 pattern no longer had all that annoying brass on it, so the "fittings" are right.

Otherwise, I is stumped!

MsG
 
#9
I found this reference in the authority text "McKay's Army Belts 1939 to 1970" ISBN 1345-1223-19885

The belt in question is an-

"Belt, trouser, drab, keks for the up, holding of, avoiding thereof, embarrasment, large"

Hope this helps.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#11
The reason I like it for Johnny is the colour, makes me think Olive Drab 1960's American style, not saying it is, but its a making me think of the Europeans and their olive drab kit...

or something the RM might have.
 
#12
Possibly Danish: they used lots of British '37 and then started adding bits of their own design. Colour looks like their stuff. Belgians, Italians and Greeks also used and modified P'37, but they seem to have stuck to the raw buff colour.
 
#13
Wasn't there a '44 pattern webbing?

Seem to remember some of it floating around back in my dark days as a cadet looked a bit like this - think it's where the mettle bottles came from.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#14
4(T) said:
Possibly Danish: they used lots of British '37 and then started adding bits of their own design. Colour looks like their stuff. Belgians, Italians and Greeks also used and modified P'37, but they seem to have stuck to the raw buff colour.
SADF too..
 
#16
Is it nylon? Or at least shiny? I have a very similar belt that originally had some pseudo 58 pattern rear loops but also has the 37 pattern size adjustment - ie, no holes or visible hooks. I think I bought it at a boot sale in Devon about 6 years ago- I certainly wore it subsequently - and there seemed to be a few similar about. The rear loops would have been non-functional since they were very small and would not have allowed the attachment of the 58 bum roll - at least, not with any ease.

I guess, if it was ever actually on issue, that it was a substitute standard intended merely for holding up the trousers and produced because the 58 pattern ones were scarce.

Alternatively, it is a very unusual UKSF only model and I am open to offers over £50.
 
#17
wild_moose said:
Wasn't there a '44 pattern webbing?

Seem to remember some of it floating around back in my dark days as a cadet looked a bit like this - think it's where the mettle bottles came from.
P'44 also has holes in it.
 
#19
4(T) said:
wild_moose said:
Wasn't there a '44 pattern webbing?

Seem to remember some of it floating around back in my dark days as a cadet looked a bit like this - think it's where the mettle bottles came from.
P'44 also has holes in it.
I think the '44 also had some sort of loop thing for a machete attachment on one side - standing by for corrections tho :D
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#20
JT0475 said:
4(T) said:
wild_moose said:
Wasn't there a '44 pattern webbing?

Seem to remember some of it floating around back in my dark days as a cadet looked a bit like this - think it's where the mettle bottles came from.
P'44 also has holes in it.
I think the '44 also had some sort of loop thing for a machete attachment on one side - standing by for corrections tho :D
44 belt is narrower than 37/58. Comes in 3 pieces so that the size adjustment is on 2 sides, shoulder strap buckles on the back similar to 37 and the strap with the poppers is for fastening your rifle when carried at the reverse slung.

I'll get my jungle shirt....
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Royal Signals 3
Mutineer AGC, RAPTC and SASC 46
Storeman Norman Current Affairs, News and Analysis 25

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top