Belt fed AR10

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Feb 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the shrike is vaporware lots of angry spams wrote the bloke cheques still not got the guns.

mind you physics gets in the way. lots of heat generated in a lightweight package.
    thats why the lsw sucked as machinegun even if you sloved the 30 rd mag problem it would still get to hot to handle too quickly

2. .. that was some time ago..

Uncle Eugene and his box of tricks!

Too Light Too Fast Too Hot - in fact MUCH Too Hot!

3. Good for heating the whole squad's MREs...

4. I just never knew it existed. The belt feed arrangement is interesting although I agree with your other observations.

5. It is just a trials gun - never put into production...

You should see some of the weird stuff that ended up in the PR collection.. (when Herbie was in charge and things were less ****!)

The TADEN f'rinstance...

Attached Files:

6. They tried to do the same with the M16A2. I cant post a link from work but theres a write up and photos in the machine gun section of Worldguns.ru

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its not as widely known as other oddballs but definetly a selling point. you back then or didnt go?

8. Just been busy with other priorities. After I didn't get mobilised, all things army related have taken a bit of a back seat. Concentrating on work!

9. Knight Armament Corporation has come up with some novel and clever ways of dealing with the heat dissipation in their furtherance of Mr Stoners design. I think their belt fed widget, name escapes me at the moment, is worthy of watching as a likely potential piece of issue kit in the future. The increasing of outer barrel surface area and resulting weight reduction has resulted in some very 'decorative' barrels.

The thing is back in the days of 'nam Stoner was knocking out alsorts of prototypes, one offs and limited production runs most of which never saw polite company.

10. The muzzle flash on that Shrike!8-O And that's on a bright day! Can anyone capture a still image of it?

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good, you cant let it rule your life, it if was meant to be it will happen soon enough!