Bell UH-1H assembly to take place .........in Ukraine

Nothing shocks me now (Biden in power , Covid etc) but the venerable legacy Bell UH-1H Huey assembly will be taking place in , Ukraine later this year ...

Loosely translated

The organization of the production of Iroquois helicopters is in the final stages. The project is funded by investment funds.

State Enterprise Odessa Aircraft Plant in 2021 will begin the licensed assembly of American helicopters Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Iroquois). This was stated by the head of the concern Ukroboronprom Yuri Gusev during a visit to the company, according to Dumskaya on Friday, February 26.

According to him, the first helicopter should be assembled by the 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence, and production will be placed in one of the shops of the aircraft plant.

"The organization of helicopter production is now in its final stages. The project is funded by investment funds," Gusev said.

In turn, the director of the aircraft plant Vitaly Yukhachev stressed that the Iroquois is a multi-purpose helicopter. It can be both transport and passenger, and in the presence of suspended weapons - shock.

Yokel

LE
Some of the finest soviet aircraft came from the Ukraine

It was and is the home of Antonov and also very large rockets were made there. Ukraine also had the only Soviet shipyard large enough to build a carrier - so now the Russians cannot put their carrier into dry dock for repair - since falling out with Kiev. The Ukraine was also the site of ship engine manufacture.

The engineering tradition is there.

Bell UH-1H assembly to take place .........in Ukraine​

And why, in God's name, would they be manufacturing (as per the thread title) a helicopter that first flew in the late 1960s!

Last edited:
First flew in 1956.

Obviously, it depends on your sources. 1967 seems too late, but I think you're confusing 1956 when the first UH-1A flew.

'Bell (model 205A-1) UH-1H (1967-1986) was identical to the UH-1D but was equipped with an upgraded engine that allowed transport of up to 13 troops.'

'The UH-1H was an improved UH-1D, with the Lycoming T53-L-13 engine of 1,400 shp (1,000 kW) installed, plus the pitot tuberelocated from the nose to the roof, to reduce ground damage to it. "Hotel" models were created by upgrading "Deltas" with the more powerful engine. The first YUH-1H flew in 1966 with deliveries of production models starting in September 1967.'

Last edited:
I had to go and check but indeed the T53 engine is still in production, now with Honeywell. Not bad for a design created by the same chap responsible for the Me 262's engine!

Can't understand why the Ukrainians want to build the 205 instead of the 412 or something a little more contemporary. Quite a downgrade from the Mi-8.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

And why, in God's name, would they be manufacturing (as per the thread title) a helicopter that first flew in the late 1960s!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. see the C-130 and Chinook also.

Cromarty

War Hero

To supply all those Hueys Hollywood need to fly in the background of action movies.
(A little cross thread humour.)

4(T)

LE
I had to go and check but indeed the T53 engine is still in production, now with Honeywell. Not bad for a design created by the same chap responsible for the Me 262's engine!

Can't understand why the Ukrainians want to build the 205 instead of the 412 or something a little more contemporary. Quite a downgrade from the Mi-8.

It could be a combination of several reasons:

- licence is very cheap
- Bell happy to hand off global spares support for a long gone model
- might be part of a lead-in deal (test run) that leads to licensing of other models
- US gov indirect aid

etc

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. see the C-130 and Chinook also.

Comparing an A-model C130 or CH47 to the current variant is like saying a Spitfire Mk.I and Mk.24 were the same aircraft (and that was over a period of only 12 years).

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Comparing an A-model C130 or CH47 to the current variant is like saying a Spitfire Mk.I and Mk.24 were the same aircraft (and that was over a period of only 12 years).

but it shows they got the fundamentals absolutely right and the basic design didn't need to be changed, no??

Yokel

LE
Has anybody said 'VLAD DON'T SURF!'? No? ARRSE standards are slipping.

Are there any UH-1H models or derivatives in service anywhere in the world? I presume that Ukraine wants a reliable troop transport to replace Soviet/Russian made machines. I assume the aircraft will have modern engines, avionics, and materials.

but it shows they got the fundamentals absolutely right and the basic design didn't need to be changed, no??

You're obviously a proponent of Trigger's Broom.

The Italians built a export version too didn’t they
Yep they licensed built with then AGusta to have

AgustaBell AB-204
AgustaBell AB-205
AgustaBell AB-212
AgustaBell AB-412

Italian armed forces still use AB-205/212/412 but they being retired slowly in favour of Leonardo HH139 and new Leonardo AW169M (uh69)

Here are my photos from my other neck of the woods, few years back of Bundesheer AB212

41443143_10157057532391490_789182798777810944_n.jpg
41420779_10157057541531490_5862528061508943872_n.jpg
41516652_10157057541656490_2696038099405766656_n.jpg
41445904_10157057541156490_3999946696812396544_n.jpg
41432817_10157057541511490_3625667900720807936_n.jpg

Think it was Swiss company RUAG that updated the cockpit

BTW the Austrian Bundesheer helo crews were frequent students to Linton-on-Ouse for the EDA Helicopter Tactics Course (which will be running from Portugal this year onwards). Also the Austrians teach the HgFS - high altitude mountain course to likes of JHC as well as USAREUR helo crews, and their neighbors north and south of the border. When I sat on a committee, one of my colleagues RAF Merlin driver and Sqn Ldr at that himself had done the Austrian course.

Cheers

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Has anybody said 'VLAD DON'T SURF!'? No? ARRSE standards are slipping.

Are there any UH-1H models or derivatives in service anywhere in the world? I presume that Ukraine wants a reliable troop transport to replace Soviet/Russian made machines. I assume the aircraft will have modern engines, avionics, and materials.

post #13

I would bet that it has far more in common with the 212 than the origional UH1H and the names more about who the Ukranians are licenced to produce for, ie a clear divide on military / civil sales.

Stops the Ukranians competing on commercial contracts

Or i could just be cynical

Edit From Wiki

Bell Huey IIA modified and re-engined UH-1H, significantly upgrading its performance, and its cost-effectiveness. Currently offered by Bell to all current military users of the type.

Last edited:

Latest Threads