Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Bell FCX001

From my adventures a fortnight ago at HAI 2017 in Dallas - Bell unveiled the Bell FXC001 concept mock up and yours truly tried out the VR experience both as passenger and pilot. Yep its single pilot operation ......so here are my photos.

cheers

IMG_1702_zpswsy3i9sa.jpg

IMG_0674_zpsuxj40fln.jpg

IMG_0700_zpswyi5yhxs.jpg

IMG_0696_zpsm0mozxqb.jpg

IMG_0686_zpslggaqxhx.jpg

IMG_1008_zpslc6bhyav.jpg

IMG_1014_zps3pdofocz.jpg

Yep, Bell pioneered the NOTAR (No TAil Rotor) principle a good while ago. You might have noticed the medical helicopter landing in Parliament Square the other day had no tail rotor. BTW that's not filters on the side of the tail, it's a blower.

Nope that was then McDonnell Douglas Helicopter division (formerly Hughes of Howard Hughes) then became Boeing and seprated out in late 90s when MD Helicopters was created after separation of Boeing mil rotorcraft division (taking AH-64A/D, CH-47D, A/MH-6 production when MDH was bought and owned by RDM Holdings then 2005 Lyn TIlton from Patriach took it over.

MDH produces the MD902, MD600N, md520n, MD530, and on mil side the MD530F/G and now the MD6XX (please see my other new thread)

London Air Ambulance operates a pair of MDH MD902 Explorers

Heres an interesting fact, I came across two Turkish aerospace academics at Helitech 2009 that claimed they done the research and came up with NOTAR concept ( I heard of a former colleague that NOTAR was someones pet research project) and the McDonnell douglas guys ahd nicked their idea.

cheers

Yep, Bell pioneered the NOTAR (No TAil Rotor) principle a good while ago. You might have noticed the medical helicopter landing in Parliament Square the other day had no tail rotor. BTW that's not filters on the side of the tail, it's a blower.
It was Hughes/MD that developed the NOTAR , the one in Westminster was an MD.

Heres an interesting fact, I came across two Turkish aerospace academics at Helitech 2009 that claimed they done the research and came up with NOTAR concept ( I heard of a former colleague that NOTAR was someones pet research project) and the McDonnell douglas guys ahd nicked their idea.

cheers
Those Turks must have been quite old , the use of directed air to provide anti-torque control had been tested as early as 1945 in the British Cierva W.9 .