Bell-end sig blocks

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Cpl_ripper, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it me or does any of our other coffin dodging members think these kind of sig block are utter arse?

Perhaps we shouls (like some arrser already do) put our own up :)

Application - Begun 1982
    BARB - ?
    Medical- Done
    Depot Kings div (PWO) Sept 1983
    SOS 1995
    Fat kancker 2008

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We didn't have sig blocks in my day. Just tablets of clay, on which we used a stylus to inscribe stuff

3. I'm with you, Cpl_ripper, although I must confess that I joined them for a short while, before I realised it just made me look like a complete twat with limited imagination.

4. In my day, we all had the same signature. When the Romans invaded and captured us, they insisted that we wrote down our name, rank and number.

The Centurion had us running around the parade square all day trying to get us to explain the significance of "thirty".

5. I should also take you to task for your sig block cloudie...I have not now, or ever uttered such a profanity at a very senior sceptic general.

6. But how would you know for certain? :D

7. I've already started

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I cannot be arrsed to change me siggy block but if I did it would probably read something like:

Riten Entrans Tst - wtf? in the 1970s they needed soldiers not poets
    Chosen Regiment, 15/19H and this time don't try and dissuade me into the RMP.
    BFT Passed - occasionally when I could be arrsed
    CFT passed - but it wasn't funny a couple of weeks after a vasectomy
    Waiting for pension - expected in 2010 but now I discover the barstewards took five years' pension from me in exchange for a shiny enamel veteran's badge. Twaaaats: how did they get that past me?

9. Was 'medicalled' in a draughty wooden hut next to a bombed out Goods Yard in Newcastle, there were a lot of us naked, scrawny (no obesity then), shivering young men. Don't remember much of it now.
    The written exam was rather more memorable and took place at the Ridley Place Army Recruiting Office (nothing as self important as an ACIO back then), after I finished I watched a Coldstream Guards recruiting Sgt almost choke a lad trying for the Gunners who was having difficulty with the test - in fact the Sgt was reading each question to the guy and writing down the answers for him - after several attempts and many sotto voce promptings from the desperate NCO. It was painful to watch, more so when the Coldstreamer asked the question..."An item of clothing rhyming with PACKET?" The potential Gunner looked wildly about him the Coldstreamer was pointing to his sleeve - gesticulating emphatically until in exasperation he asked of the frightened lad.. "What the f*ck's that then?" Pointing to the lad's jacket.. "Oh aye' the lad shouted triumphantly.... "ME COAT!" With a pained roar the Sarn't jumped up and 'gripped' him.

I DID get the proverbial 'shilling' and, for some reason a bible (which I still have signed by the OC Recruiting Office a Major Bell MBE MM Royal Northumberland Fusiliers) plus the sum of 6/8d ( the pre-decimal equivalent of 33new pence - or whatever Brit currency is called now) which was a day's ration money and a travel warrant. The Gunner? I last saw him after the test nonchalantly picking up dog ends on Northumberland Street - don't think he made it to the Royal Regiment...... could be wrong though.

Enlisting seems much more complicated now! Almost like going for a commission!

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Was this last year or this?

;o)

11. So I take it Newcastle hasn't changed much in fifty years?

12. Application - Begun 14/07/73
    Sums and Writing - Not too bad
    Written Medical- Body qualified for £2000 trade in
    1.5 Mile PB- 1.4 minutes (Vauxhall Meriva 31/07/09)

Chosen Regiment- Couch Potato Sqn. Civ Div.

13. I've just spent half an hour working out what a 'sig block' is. Thought maybe it was some new sort of hexi fuel.

Glad there's no written test for posting on ARRSE......

14. Written entrance test: Failed, repeatedly
    Chosen Regiment: Para (see above) Actual - RMP
    BFT Failed -85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99
    :wink:

15. Indeed. If the best I could do was 11.31, I'd be keeping quiet about it.