Belkin routers and Virgin Media

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Griffo909, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says my Belkin Wireless G router stopped working a week back or so.My ISP is through Vergin media and for some reason my connection has gone awol.Got a letter from virgin the other day saying this is a known problem and to go to this website and download latest firmware...did so,but no luck :? .

Anyone else had this issue....Is it a case that i need a new router :?

If so any suggestions on a new one...Not amazing on computers but basically one pc is connected to router through modem.,and anoter PC runs wirelessly off the router.

Any help would be great :)

Griff

2. msr

msr LE

What is the exact model of belkin router?

msr

3. It's the F5D7230-4

4. msr

msr LE

5. IMHO, I would not touch Belkin with a bargepole. I have tried a few times with their products and always run into problems. I now use Netgear and have had very little hassle either on my network or on any of my mates that I have set up.

BTW I used to work for Siemens in IT support for the Gobment so I am not entirely IT illiterate! I had a higher security clearance before I joined up than I do now....

Tubs

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Erm get a netgear. I bought an "N" class belkin 10 days ago and took it back 8 days ago. Ethernet was fine but WAN was totally unstable.

Swapped it for a Netgear "G" which is working just fine.

7. Belkin used to be a very reputable company. Now I would, and do, use Netgear if I'm doing a bit of "moonlighting"

8. MSR great site bud....iv'e fixed it amazingly..Cheers :D ..Had sod all to do with the firmware.

Yeah i used to have a netgear but that stopped working somehow :? But a friend who had this one spare said i could have his old belkin.Might aswell save a few quid eh? Yeah ever lately aswell i have heard nothing but bad news about belkin...about how unrelaible their products are and how their customer support is sh**e!

Griffo

9. Forgot to say maybe i should invest in a new router.Just in case it packs in again...Which it probably will.

10. Heard many horror stories with Belkin gear in the past. Personally I am using Netgear now and have used DLink in the past and never had any problems with either of them.

11. Hmm i think a trip to PC World is in order.

12. My lad is using a Linksys 54Kbs Cable/DSL router he bought from Dabs on his virgin connection. No problems and had it set up, secured and running in less than hour an hour (a reboot of the Virgin modem was needed)

13. Never been a fan of Netgear routers, if they are anything like the 'free' one that you get with Sky 'broad'band that you HAVE to use then sorry but I wouldn't touch it with yours m8.

I've seen worse than Linksys and D-Link, Belkin seems to be quite cheap and cheerful these days.