Belgium as a failed state

I think it was in Ypres that I had horse meat burger to wash down with all that lovely beer. The Ypres 100km walk.

ROMFT

Old-Salt
Never mind. Just like people who say Scotch whisky isn’t for them, it leaves more for the rest of us.
It’s a big world, and hopelessly varied. If something isn’t for you, you can move on and find something else. If you want.
Bush 12° viscous beer... You can have it, I'll stick with the red wine, if it was good enough for the Roman Legions, it's good enough for me.

While the garrison of Fort d'Aubin-Neufchâteau held out, under constant assault, until 21 May.

Yes but the main part of the German Army was no doubt in Ostend by this time, paddling in the sea and eating ice cream, frikadellen und Fries mit sauce tartar bitte. The investing force probably consisted of a platoon of Landsers armed with K98 Mausers and a couple of MG34's.

It’s a meaningless term. “Abbey/abbaye/abdij can mean anything from ‘them monks get a cut’ to ‘we have bought an association’.
The beer made can be anything from lagers to brown soup. The Leffe brand is officially an abbey beer (there is an abbey), but it’s a commercial brand owned by the people who brought you Stella (and passed that off as an abbey brand).
To drink anything like a beer made in a monastery (within certain limits), look for a little hexagonal logo stating it is an authentic Trappist product. Belgium has six, and there are more around the world, including Britain (Tynt).
Did a quick search for Abdij van 't Park, funny old thing the brewery has no connection with the Abbey. Somebody is guilty of "imaginative marketing". Doesn't alter the fact that the Aldi stuff tastes good and at € 2.99 for a 4 pack is affordable, although I remember just a few years ago it was € 2.49. Belgium always was expensive and it's getting more expensive rapidly.

I think it was in Ypres that I had horse meat burger to wash down with all that lovely beer. The Ypres 100km walk.
Fricandelle? Buy mine in the Netherlands, they come in two varieties, met paardevlees en zonder paardevlees, with or without horse meat. Add diced onions and a large dollop of mayo and the end of the world can come, who cares.

Fricandelle? Buy mine in the Netherlands, they come in two varieties, met paardevlees en zonder paardevlees, with or without horse meat. Add diced onions and a large dollop of mayo and the end of the world can come, who cares.
Which do you recommend. With or without horsemeat. Do you find that you have an adiction to sugar lumps and an irrestible urge to jump over hedges after eating the horsemeat ones?

I missed that this year because it was cancelled, but as I use it as training for the Vierdaagse which was also cancelled it probably didn't matter too much. Next year they will have a Kattestoet as well <--- hint to tourists.

Latest Threads