Belgium as a failed state

RBMK

War Hero
What about the chocolate?

Will Belgian chocolate be safe during these turbulent times?

Both Aldi and Lidl on the continent do a very good strong beer (7.8%) that you can't get in the UK. Everytime I go to France (which hopefully will be on Monday week - Boris's daft edicts notwithstanding) I throw a case in the boot of the car on the way back.
Meh, kiddie's beer. You need something with a decent alcohol content:

beer-3335378_87d8c_hd.png

:

What about the chocolate?

Will Belgian chocolate be safe during these turbulent times?
What else are the Belgium paedophile rings going to attract the kids with?

Beer was never meant to be 12°
Quite. I struggle with anything over 4.5. I suppose it's okay if you're planning on one pint lasting you an entire evening, but at the rate I quoff ale it would be suicidal.

B42T

LE
Tomorrow I'm off to Eupen and first stop Aldi to buy their Abdijbier. Magic stuff and cheaper than the brand names, also a lot better than the designer ratsp1ss produced in Germany.
Belgium, beer, friten, chocolate and FN. What's not to like?

AL. Aldis pale beer is labeled Blond, but it's still safe to drink. ;)
is Abdijbier a lager or a dark beer?

B42T

LE
Quite. I struggle with anything over 4.5. I suppose it's okay if you're planning on one pint lasting you an entire evening, but at the rate I quoff ale it would be suicidal.
Anything over 5% for me. Have fallen foul of many an Austrian beer that's around 5.5 to 6% after quaffing it all night. It doesn't taste strong but come about 01:00 you know all about it as you stagger down the road.

The best thing about Belgian brewing is the sheer variety of beer making going on in a relatively small part of the world.
I sometimes get the impression that the Belgians will turn anything into beer or at least make the attempt. Unlike German beer which is very unimaginative.

is Abdijbier a lager or a dark beer?
It’s a meaningless term. “Abbey/abbaye/abdij can mean anything from ‘them monks get a cut’ to ‘we have bought an association’.
The beer made can be anything from lagers to brown soup. The Leffe brand is officially an abbey beer (there is an abbey), but it’s a commercial brand owned by the people who brought you Stella (and passed that off as an abbey brand).
To drink anything like a beer made in a monastery (within certain limits), look for a little hexagonal logo stating it is an authentic Trappist product. Belgium has six, and there are more around the world, including Britain (Tynt).

I can't forgive Belgium after I had that bad bottle of Leffe which caused havoc " downstairs ".
It's bad enough the morning after even when you've been drinking the good stuff, I dread to think what a duff pint might do.

It made my guts feel like sh@t without giving me time to have a happy buzz.
Never mind. Just like people who say Scotch whisky isn’t for them, it leaves more for the rest of us.
It’s a big world, and hopelessly varied. If something isn’t for you, you can move on and find something else. If you want.

Latest Threads