Belgium as a failed state

Perhaps splitting hairs, but I'd say that was more 'don't let politicians get involved in government' than 'don't have a government.'

It's amazing what you can do when you let the professionals get on with things, isn't it?
I know this is an old post but that is exactly my impression of the Hong Kong Government while stationed in Hong Kong from 84-86. Run by diplomats and civil servants, many with expertise in their field. Like the equivelent of the chanceller being an Economist or Banker rather than a career politician with a degree in PPE.

I know this is an old post but that is exactly my impression of the Hong Kong Government while stationed in Hong Kong from 84-86. Run by diplomats and civil servants, many with expertise in their field. Like the equivelent of the chanceller being an Economist or Banker rather than a career politician with a degree in PPE.
Or like the fragrant Angela Rayner who knows less than my dog about the world.

Yep
Come the day Belgium’s future is as a giant concentration camp. They can get lessons on how to run one from their mates the Hun.
Come what day? My tuppence worth from my Belgian contacts: the EU is the enemy, and secession from the union will only cause unnecessary (financial) pain. The enemy isn’t the Germans, or anywhere. It is rules.

In WWII the Free Belgians were as dogged and courageous in the defence of their country as the French, let us not forget that.
Belgium was defeated in 27 days in 1940. It would have been far less than that if the BEF did not advance into Belgium from France once the 'phoney war' ended.

Belgium was defeated in 27 days in 1940. It would have been far less than that if the BEF did not advance into Belgium from France once the 'phoney war' ended.
And if 78 German Falschirjagers didn't land on top of Eben Emael in gliders, disable the guns and keep the garrison hold up until they surrendered 24 hours later.

A fort that had absorbed a huge chunk of the Belgium defence budget during the thirties and was expected to hold for three months.

One of Hitlers better military ideas. (better than invading Russia anyway)

When I was at SHAPE Belgium in the late seventies I remember speaking to a Brit civilian worker who was an ex ww2 squaddy who had married a Belgium women and settled down there.

He said that in 1940 the Belgium army established a defensive line on the Albert canal and declared "They shall not pass".

The only problem was that the Germans had already passed two hours before and were heading for Brussels and the channel ports.

True but had (at least some of) the BEF , 2 French armies and the reserves not marched into Belgium - there would have been a blocking force in France capable of at least delaying the arrival of several hundred thousand Teutonic tourists to the Atlantic beaches via the Ardennes. Perhaps avoiding the whole bugger off and come back in 4 years.