Belgian-Is it a nationality or a profession?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by muhandis89, Feb 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that the politicos in that country cannot agree on a form of government.Presumably because it has important EU and NATO locations,it cannot be allowed to fail?

Belgians that I know,seem to be happy with their own economic situation,and their MPs continue to draw substantial salaries and expenses.

I think that only an economic crisis there,will force a resolution of the problem.Step forward Mr Van Rompuy?
  2. It's an illness.
  3. Any country that has beer fridges in a petrol station is alright in my book.
  4. Is it not a bun?
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

considering we created it we should have left a clause in there to cast a vote. I wonder what would happen if it split into two and neither side wanted to be part of the eu.

I actually think its rather good in the sense that it shows that a country can still work well without a govt to mess it up
  6. The north goes Dutch, the South goes French and around Brussels can be made its own little enclave of EU'ness.

No more Belgians. This would of course mean that some other country would have to be the worlds number 1 for kiddy fiddling, murder and making snooker balls.
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If the Belges can't chose a gubment of their own, just let the Germans have a go at running the country. They tried in 1914-18 and then took it over for a bit in 1940-44, so they have the experience!! :(
  8. I think we're confused about this. We say, "Belgium doesn't have a government", when in fact it has so many layers of government that the National government has no real purpose. The regional governments run most of what affects people's daily lives, and the EU makes all the foreign policy decisions and other laws. Belgium is actually the EU-crats testing ground for how the rest of Europe will look in 25 years time, that's why they were so keen that we had Regional Assemblies in England. TG for the sensible people of the North-East.

Imagine if England were the same size as Scotland, with the same kind of devolutionary settlement as we have now. That's how the Flemish see their relationship with the Walloons.
  9. Again?!?!?!?!

Who was it that said 'Belgiums only purpose is to provide a route from Germany to the channel'
  10. Let's not forget the German-speaking area. I met a couple on holiday in Spain once. They conversed in Dutch to a Dutch guy there. I presumed they were Flemish speakers but I asked them if they spoke French and they did; they did not speak English so we regularly conversed in French - and theirs was excellent. Then one day i overheard them talking amongst themselves in German. Turned out German was their first language.
  11. Belgium does have a gvt at the moment, it’s called a Gouvernement d’affaires courantes…it means the Gvt has resigned but it is in fact still in charge of the day to day business. A Belgian humorist recently said that today only three things really mattered to the average Belgian : the TV remote control, beer and football…
  12. The Austrians are making a strong challenge for that title already.
  13. Belgium is an artificial nation created at the end of the Napoleonic wars by a British act of parliament.

It's sole purpose is to provide a buffer state between the minging soapless cheese eaters and the murderous spikey headed huns. It's supposed to keep them away from each others throats. That's their mission statement.

When you consider the Franco Prussian war, the first world war and the second world war, you begin to appreciate just how effective Belgium is in this context. Perhaps we should abolish them.

The fault however doesn't lie with the filthy war shy ungovernable Phlegms, it lies with the filthy theiving fingers of the bent Brit parliament, like so many other problems and territorial settlements i.e. Kenya, Israel, Somalia N & S, Yemen........
  14. So, as I'm swinging through Belgique in May/June, will I notice anything different from the usual utter, almost monochrome, (is there a law against using bright colours in Belgium to avoid frightening the smurfs?), drabness?