Belfast Continental Market 2009

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Nov 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Christmas Continental Market
    Christmas Continental Market Date: 17 November - 19 December 2009
    Venue: Belfast City Hall grounds

Once again the City Hall grounds has come alive with dozens of market stalls offering a stunning range of crafts, food and decorations from across Europe, and beyond, to delight the Christmas shopper seeking original gifts.

More than 750,000 people visited the market last year - and this year it promises to be even bigger and better than ever with traders from as far afield as the North Pole, Asia, Africa and the United States.

Opening times
    Monday - Wednesday: 9am - 8pm
    Thursday - Saturday: 9am - 10pm
    Sunday: 1pm - 6pm

Please note, the market will close at 8pm on Saturday 19 December.

Food and drink
    Highlights include:

* Bratwurst sausages and German beers
    * warming gluhwein
    * liqueur coffees
    * gourmet burgers
    * Spanish paella
    * toasted baguettes
    * waffles, crêpes and Dutch pancakes
    * cakes, fudge and sweets
    * Continental and Irish cheeses.
    * exotic meats from around the world
    * gorgeous Greek dips
    * garlic soup from Switzerland
    * Polish bigos (a traditional stew).

Sit and relax in Belfast’s very own Lavery’s International Marquee, or sample the great German and Continental beers from the newly remodelled Franzisskaaner German bar. Also returning this year will be Northern Ireland’s very own Hilden Brewery with their own special brews.
  2. Just been to Nottingham version in Shire Hall Square. Bratties, Gluehwein and a pils; heaven!!

3. I see that the Hilden Brewery has a tent again. I shall devote an afternoon to a critical study of their wares next week.
  4. I don't know anything about the others but be very aware that the "Continental Market" that tours around Scotland has a SHOCKING rep for basic hygeine. The stuff on sale is often left out overnight inside the stalls with minimal covering and no refrigeration.

Christmas with a dose of the trots anyone ?
  5. Went to the Bath Christmas Market today. Gluhwein, Bratties and Mmmmm lots of goodies to eat. It seems that slowly Britain is learning the good bits of the Continent.
  6. :D Been to the Belfast market

they have meats of the world burger stall .....nice
    and various junk and food stalls

they have Glühwein .......not as much now but they did have some when i started!

its not as good as the german ones but its a good effort for our wee cuntry! :twisted:

well worth a visit !
  7. If you go to Knarborough Rd in Leicester there is a Polish Supermarket and an International Store; feta, olives, Pitta, Lavash, Baclava, Haloumi, Dolmades, Giant Beans. Between the two you could be back in Germany or Cyprus. There is also a Mega Turkish Bakers... :D

8. Same thin all over Cardiff City Centre, including an ice rink and funfair with great big wheel outside the City Hall
  9. For those of you who like this sort of thing, GMTV's competition this week is for £25,000 and a 3-day break to Berlin's Christmas market. Enter at
  10. I went on Saturday/Sunday. It's on each day 10:00 till 22:00 and is well worth a visit.

It's a little bit pricey (large beer (1/2 litre) costs £4, Bratwurst £4, Jagermeister (2 cl) £2.50, small portion chips £2.00) but it seems to be the real thing, so perhaps was imported specially for the event.

There's a wide variety of art/craft/gift stalls if you're looking for last minute Xmas presents that are out of the ordinary. If you go, take plenty of cash because none of the traders seem to accepy debit/credit cards. Many of the stalls are quite scenic/decorative, with carved wooden facades (not your average beer tent!). I'll try and post some of the pics I took later.