Belfast city centre

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by overopensights, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As resident Bn at Palace Bks in 1974 we used to occasionally relieve the city centre company at the 'The segments' This was to give the unit there a break or to let them go off on training. There was a Gunner unit there who were thought of as 'slack.'

On arrival we used to go to the large Ops room for an operational briefing. We arrived but a car bomb a few days previous had destroyed the ops room, so the briefing was held in the gunner's canteen. After the briefing, for something to say, I said to the the gunner RSM, " sorry about your ops room" "Or that's ok" he replied, "we needed a new one anyway"
    Three weeks later we went back again for the same task. It was the same situation, the place was chaos, the whole street was like 'Berlin 1945' Another and bigger car bomb had destroyed the place almost completely. Into the gunner's canteen we trooped. I sat next the serious RSM again, on went the briefing. Afterwards and to make conversation, I said again. "Really sorry about the ops room" he looked at me seriously and side ways on, and said quietly "Fcuk Off!"

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

And your point is??????????????

3. You are perhaps a gunner Jim, no point really, just the humour of it still tickle me? They were wrongly labled slack of course, just regimental rivalry.