Belfast 1978 - soldier (aiming) holding magazine in standing position

BopBopBop

War Hero
No actually she didn’t. Zoom in on her with one of those long range telescopes and you could see she had all her own teeth and everything. She was a definite a 7 or 8 on the Belfast I wouldn’t mind meeting her in a dark alley scale.

It was the sanger that if you knew you were going to be there at that time on stag, take some tissues! The telescopes were so powerful, once you were zoomed right in, it seemed like you could reach out and have a fondle.

It was always a rush job as well because you had to keep a general eye open on the area just in case she was a distraction.

You did used to wonder whether the locals had any idea just how close you could be to them with one of those telescopes. Judging from their behaviour though, I don’t think any of them ever realised! :)
With one ear on the intercom, listening for the quiet click, when the ops room turned it on for a welfare check.

offog

LE
Yes. He also seems to be unique in wearing the visor flipped half way back on top instead of all the way back or all the way forward.

Baggy like everyone else's light trousers utility with cargo pocket.

He is also missing web belt and pouches.
Map pocket on other leg and he may not need to carry a pouch as he would have nothing to put in it as he probably was only issued 20 rds. If you look a the link to the photo earlier you will see they also do not have pouches or belts.

ches

LE
Starlights were carried on a strap in an awkward shaped placcy feel bag when out on rurals. Pain in the arse to lug about & never much use anyway. On rainy nights they were shite.

Anonymous Yank

On ROPS
On ROPs
Map pocket on other leg and he may not need to carry a pouch as he would have nothing to put in it as he probably was only issued 20 rds. If you look a the link to the photo earlier you will see they also do not have pouches or belts.
The only linked photo without belt and pouches would be the one where they obviously are not out on patrol.

Most of the photos show pockets on both legs.

None of the photos show trousers that have the slightest hint of a thigh or calf outline apparent, other than his.

Did anyone else wear trousers that tight, with double stitched flat fell seams, and patch pockets on the arse?

BopBopBop

War Hero
The only linked photo without belt and pouches would be the one where they obviously are not out on patrol.

Most of the photos show pockets on both legs.

None of the photos show trousers that have the slightest hint of a thigh or calf outline apparent, other than his.

Did anyone else wear trousers that tight, with double stitched flat fell seams, and patch pockets on the arse?
The Devil Wears Prada Walt.

The 'offending photo' was part of a set of 42 taken by a photographer in 1978

[QUOTE="rgjbloke, post: 9842660, member: 53102"...Starlight scopes were more commonly found permanently situated in sangers.
[/QUOTE]

Might be an urban myth.
"We" were told that the Starlight emitted a very high pitched noise when operated. Apparently it used to annoy dogs? Acted as an alert for the locals?

This image showed in my Twitter feed, and have never seen that the "grip" of the SLR before. Details I have as per title View attachment 450892
Suppose it is "taken-as-read", but surprised no-one has mentioned what a thing of beauty is the SLR, particularly with wooden furniture ;) .

Last edited:
Interesting "uniform."

Motorcycle helmet, USMC vietnam vintage flak jacket, dpm combat jacket and lightweight/OG trousers. Pretty much standard for the mid-late 70s.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting "uniform."
combat jacket mit flak jacket worn with trousers lightweight. Standard dress for steely-eyed dealers of death during the seventies and eighties.

Yes. He also seems to be unique in wearing the visor flipped half way back on top instead of all the way back or all the way forward.
Easier to pull it down in a hurry than having it right at the back. A spare sock or first field dressing was sometimes used to wedge it in place so that you could slide it into position as required.

Also, having the visor fully down meant that you couldn't use the rear sight as the visor got in the way. The visor was usually wedged half open and only pulled all the way down in riots, or when riding top cover in a vehicle when it was raining...

Last edited:
Starlights were carried on a strap in an awkward shaped placcy feel bag when out on rurals. Pain in the arse to lug about & never much use anyway. On rainy nights they were shite.
And as the battery ran out you got the ‘snow globe’ effect...

[QUOTE="rgjbloke, post: 9842660, member: 53102"...Starlight scopes were more commonly found permanently situated in sangers.
Might be an urban myth.
"We" were told that the Starlight emitted a very high pitched noise when operated. Apparently it used to annoy dogs? Acted as an alert for the locals?
[/QUOTE]

The ones I used did.

ches

LE
Might be an urban myth.
The ones I used did.
[/QUOTE]

Don't remember them as that loud tbf. Certainly couldn't hear it when the gaffer was on it about 10ft away. Talking 30yrs + ago now & i'm a bit spesh in the hearing dept according to my lass.

No doubt. You speak from a position of knowledge. I spoke from the position of a half frozen grunt on the street.
If he was in pigs it will be the era of the parkway timer, I’m not going to discuss EOD timings on here, but as the parkway timer was a maximum of an hour then you’re going to have to wait that plus a safety margin.

This then adds another problem in that if you are making a manual at the exact time a primary soak expires a pattern is being set, ATO may have been letting it sweat to change patterns.

Besides this there may be a number of other things going on - the bleep could be doing a passive sweep, in the city ECM has to be co ordinated, another team might be working nearby meaning your team can’t go active, no active = no manual.

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
Motorcycle helmet, USMC vietnam vintage flak jacket, dpm combat jacket and lightweight/OG trousers. Pretty much standard for the mid-late 70s.
We still had those Flak jackets when stagging on in Germany in the 90's.

Any part of your bare neck that touched the 30 years of human grease embedded in the collar resulted in an instant attack of Plookus Maximus that would just about clear up in time for your next weekend guard.....

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We still had those Flak jackets when stagging on in Germany in the 90's.

Any part of your bare neck that touched the 30 years of human grease embedded in the collar resulted in an instant attack of Plookus Maximus that would just about clear up in time for your next weekend guard.....
Hence the need to wear a face veil/camo scarf. Nothing to do with being ally, just kept the zits at bay! Incidentally, we had a PD who was actually cleaner from wearing flak jackets. The dirty bastard would frighten the plukes away by his own particular body odour. Something between a dustbin and a sewer.

Any contextual info on the twitter feed?

The pic has a North Belfast feel to it but I can't place it. The buildings behind the smoke are ringing a bell but not loud enough to place it.
Sorry, just the information from the title. Only posted it because never seen SLR held that way

Latest Threads