Belfast 1978 - soldier (aiming) holding magazine in standing position

This image showed in my Twitter feed, and have never seen that the "grip" of the SLR before. Details I have as per title
ERFeOD9XsAEYXFT.jpeg

It looks like he is using the "suit" sight for scanning his observation arcs, rather than holding the SLR to shoot

Looks to be left handed as well

Archie

Anonymous Yank

On ROPS
On ROPs
Interesting "uniform."

It looks like he is using the "suit" sight for scanning his observation arcs, rather than holding the SLR to shoot

Looks to be left handed as well

Archie
I think he is scanning and has temporarily swapped the rifle to the "wrong" hands to look at whatever there is on his right.

Anonymous Yank

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ditto what so many others have said. He’s curious about something he’s noticed and is having a good look. It might be that red haired bird in her twenties on the tenth floor of the tower block in the New Lodge who has a topless wash at the kitchen sink at 7am every morning before going to work.

Those lads are not wearing fairly tight denim blue jeans and open face motorcycle helmets with flip up visor.

In fact, all their trousers and boots mit black puttees look, and fit, more like those of the midget walking away up the sidewalk.
Not sure what the issue is.

He might not be a lefty, he may be adopting an unusual position to ensure he can keep cover in that doorway.

This image showed in my Twitter feed, and have never seen that the "grip" of the SLR before. Details I have as per title View attachment 450892
Any contextual info on the twitter feed?

The pic has a North Belfast feel to it but I can't place it. The buildings behind the smoke are ringing a bell but not loud enough to place it.

Ditto what so many others have said. He’s curious about something he’s noticed and is having a good look. It might be that red haired bird in her twenties on the tenth floor of the tower block in the New Lodge who has a topless wash at the kitchen sink at 7am every morning before going to work.
Did she have tattoos ?

offog

LE
Those lads are not wearing fairly tight denim blue jeans and open face motorcycle helmets with flip up visor.

In fact, all their trousers and boots mit black puttees look, and fit, more like those of the midget walking away up the sidewalk.
Fashion at the time. I would also expect him to have a tailored jacket but it does seem to be a bit baggy.

He might not be a lefty, he may be adopting an unusual position to ensure he can keep cover in that doorway.
Indeed. You could do that with a proper rifle...

Well, if he fires a shot, that granny will get blasted into the next life- SLRs can do that!

Latest Threads