Belfast 1976/77 with 2 PARA

davellis

Swinger
Just finished it .
An excellent narrative of what many on this site went through in the 70's-90's during the troubles , some of the younger members may be surprised by the sheer numbers of bombing incidents , amounts of weapons recovered ( which varied from Martini Henrys , Garands , Armalites and even a Lewis gun ! ) and sadly , deaths .
Also , some very good humorous bits plus the odd valuable lesson in counterinsurgency ( what you did in the last 48 hours of the tour , for example ) !
A very enjoyable read .
If you want a slightly updated pdf version in colour send me your email, I’m davellis@btinternet.com

davellis

Swinger
I am just reading the hard copy at the moment. Far better than the self promoting 'Contact' by AFN Clarke. You didn't get on with the CO did you?
Ah, ha! No, he was awful. I had to censor my feelings. I had lots of input from others concerning him. He took the Bn to Berlin and from what I hear they had a dreadful time under his management. Stuff for another story maybe. I have not come across anyone of any rank who liked or respected him. Shame, we had lots of really good blokes.

Emphasise the ‘elite’, you can add superhuman handsome heroes as well:)

Just copy and paste the original, very happy with that. VMT
Review posted.
Did you come across John P-W during your 15 Para days?

There was a Joe P-W at Depot Para when I was there as an instructor, not 15 Para.
The person I'm thinking of was originally 3 PARA, an adjutant of 15 PARA and infamously suffered from narcolepsy...

davellis

Swinger
Ah, I know who you mean. Porter Wright, I do recall him, as you say dropped off from time to time! The other PW was Poraj Wilczynski. I had to google for the spelling!

The person I'm thinking of was originally 3 PARA, an adjutant of 15 PARA and infamously suffered from narcolepsy...
I remember him (the scrabble winning name) from 3PARA, early/mid 70’s. Never worked with him but he was regarded as a good bloke.

Ah, I know who you mean. Porter Wright, I do recall him, as you say dropped off from time to time! The other PW was Poraj Wilczynski. I had to google for the spelling!
That's the chap. He was the father of my better half. At John's funeral I was telling a Para (my age) about my experiences at Browning Barracks (failed) when he called two other older gentlemen over to take the piss:
Sir Huw P and Sir Mike J... and they did.

Yep, so I believe. Did you come across Simon Barry? We are good mates, same Pln at RMAS.
Simon Barry was the last CO of 10 Para when I was there. He was quite a character. More like an mercenary leader in the 1960's Congo than an Army Colonel. A good bloke, but the Toms always refered to him as 'East Ham' one stop short of Barking. I heard that he was originally a Tom in 10 Para in the early Seventies before RMAS.

davellis

Swinger
Yep, he was in Support Coy in Aldershot. We had a lot of fun at Sandhurst. Mad as a box of frogs. Lives in Cape Town now doing ’security’ related odds and ends.

Yep, he was in Support Coy in Aldershot. We had a lot of fun at Sandhurst. Mad as a box of frogs. Lives in Cape Town now doing ’security’ related odds and ends.
I think he retired as Regimental Colonel at RHQ Para. A saw an article in one of the Sunday magazines about PMC's in Iraqi which quoted him.

He also gets a mention in Brigadier Peter Mortons book 'Emergency Tour' about 3 Para in South Armagh in 1976,
when in command of a QRF he captured two terrorists holed up in a bungalow, who refused to surrender until Simon fired two shots in the bedroom ceiling, followed by a further two at the front porch which had the desired effect.

davellis

Swinger
I think he retired as Regimental Colonel at RHQ Para. A saw an article in one of the Sunday magazines about PMC's in Iraqi which quoted him.

He also gets a mention in Brigadier Peter Mortons book 'Emergency Tour' about 3 Para in South Armagh in 1976,
when in command of a QRF he captured two terrorists holed up in a bungalow, who refused to surrender until Simon fired two shots in the bedroom ceiling, followed by a further two at the front porch which had the desired effect.
Got an MID for that.

Oyibo

LE
Review posted.
Did you come across John P-W during your 15 Para days?
Do you mean the Joe P-J with the Polish name?

Cancel the above - have read the earlier posts

ugly

LE
By way of self publicity some of you may find my recent book A Winter in Belfast interesting. It’s about 10 platoon, D Coy, 2 PARA’s tour of Belfast in 1976/77. It’s taken from the diary I wrote at the time together with recollections from some of the officers and Toms. I hope to make a profit, some of which I will send to Support Our Paras. Available in paperback or Kindle on Amazon. Cheap as chips.

Bought the kindle version I’m looking forward to reading it

Oyibo

LE

He also looked at his SLR to see an empty case stuck in the ejection port and managed to bluff it out

Oyibo

LE
Bought the kindle version I’m looking forward to reading it
I am biased, but I found it a great read - so compelling I got through it in one sitting

Happy to write a review on here @davellis . @Auld-Yin is the review librarian, so I'll contact him

Latest Threads