Belfast 1972

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by oldbaldy, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I posted this in the Military History Forum but am reposting here in case anyone can help out

2nd Field Regiment Rooyal Artillery

In early 1972, 2nd Field were stationed at Musgrave Park Hospital. A young man attached to the Regiment from a Field Ambulance was shot and killed by an ND from another member of that Field Ambulance. I know all the details of how he was shot but don't know his name and cannot find any mention of him on the Palace Barracks Memorial.
    I'm unsure whether the young man was RAMC or RCT but the shooter was RCT. Does anyone know where I can find the name of this young man?

BTW, the shooter was found 'Not Guilty' of Manslaughter.

2. Try asking an FOI on the MoD website which will most likely be directed to the External Policy Unit at HQ 38 Bde. They have access to quite a lot of Op Banner historical data.

TZA

3. Only ones I can find to fit the time scale are:-
    26 Mar 1972 Dvr Stephen Beedie Age 21 RCT
    24 Apr 1972 Pte Dennis Porter Age 22 RAMC
    26 Apr 1972 Driver laurence Jubb Age 22 RCT

4. Three fatal NDs within 3 months? Surely not.

5. I was a member of 2nd Regt RA at the time and I can recall a Private Dennis Porter, who was RAMC capbadged, sharing a room in Block 18 of Peninsula Barracks Hemer, prior to joing the Regt in Belfast in 1972. He was a good guy and was slightly small in stature. The incident referred to happened in the portakabin accommodation at Musgrave Park Hospital (MPH).

6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

We must have been with 2nd at the same time. My room was in that portacabin just across the corridor from the incident.

7. I was with HQ Bty at the time and was the Tech QM's Clerk. I was roomed in the portakabin two or three up the line from the incident close to where they built the new cookhouse. My room mates were Phil Rogers, Ian Ingram and one or two others attached from 36 Heavy AD Regt in Dortmund. I had been with the Regt for two years then. I was also attached to L Bty as a Jnr Ldr on Ex MISSIVE in 1969 at Rheinsahlen. I left the mob two years ago as a WO2 after 39 plus years.

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I was RAPC. It was all Field Ambulance in his room & all clerks in the room opposite where I had my bed.
    Left 2nd immediately after the Maze tour on posting to 29 where I saw a different breed of gunner. :wink:

9. Would your first name be Richard (Dick M) by any chance. Or did you transfer in from the Guards. Your SSgt in the Pay Office in Hemer was a great sniper shot, can't remember his name. Black Jock was the BSM of HQ Bty at the time.

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I transfered from the Guards, yes the SSgt in the office was a great shot, AB, ex Parachute Regt. I used to go out with him on patrol with another member of the Pay Team, PS, ex RGJ who also went to 29, lives not far from me.

Do you remember AB was shot whilst on a sniper patrol by members of the Regt because of a c0ck up in the Ops Room.

11. I certainly do, that was in L Bty's AOR not far from the Lenadoon(sp) Estate.

I think that BB of Eagles may have been involved.

I left the Regt as a Bdr in Dec '75 to do an ERE tour at Bramcote and returned in Sep '78 in Dortmund. If you look on the 2 Regt RA website you will see some old 'photos there. The webmaster is Ex of the HQ Bty - Radar Tp.

12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Back in Hemer if a SNCO or Officer came into the Pay Office to complain about any us clerks he would jump off his seat & jab his finger at them 'Don't you complain about anything, you b@stards shot me' Not that he held a grudge or anything. The whole episode was covered up so well the AAC pilot who got him out was awarded an MC.