Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

"Who needs rear sights when you have 12 Imams?"

I have always been intrigued by this, what is it with the middle east that no one uses the dammed sights!!! why??
Years ago I was at a range in Las Vegas and there was a couple of arabs as well, lot's of money for ammo, they just never used the sights.
The only people who use the sights are the Israelis. I have discussed it with arabs I have met, and they just think your mad to even ask the question, as allah will guide the bullets.

I told this story on another thread many years ago, but while training Jordanian snipers we noted that they couldn't hit shit past about 400 meters. Missing by miles, could see all the strike marks, dust etc everywhere but the target area. When looking over could see that sights were still set for 100. Explained - after extensive training on the scope - that if you adjust the elevation and deflection you'll hit that target, only to be met with "no city loyal, if god wants us to hit the target we will". Expensive ammo they were merrily firing off into the desert too. Idiots.

Yup, 750 grains at just under 2500 fps. Supposedly developed at the behest of guides in East Africa somewhere, which I find a little hard to believe. The Hannibal rifle in the video was once upon a time made on P14 or Model of 1917 actions (can't remember which), and A-Square always used to trumpet their stocks were designed to mitigate the recoil of some of their more idiotic cartridges. Hanging on helps also. (...)
With regards to the T-Rex, the way I read it phrased was that it was developed for hunting guides in Africa. That doesn't mean any of them actually asked for it.

I suspect it was built mainly as a PR gimmick to get their name in the press and on Youtube as the seller of a ridiculously large rifle. They seem to have succeeded. It seems to be too big, too heavy, and have too much recoil to be useful for its stated purpose however.

"Who needs rear sights when you have 12 Imams?"

I have always been intrigued by this, what is it with the middle east that no one uses the dammed sights!!! why??
Years ago I was at a range in Las Vegas and there was a couple of arabs as well, lot's of money for ammo, they just never used the sights.
The only people who use the sights are the Israelis. I have discussed it with arabs I have met, and they just think your mad to even ask the question, as allah will guide the bullets.

So Voltaire vindicated....

"Dieu ne pas pour le gros battalions, mais pour sequi teront le meilleur." = "God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots."

As Sharpe said.... Not bad...for a Frog..

With regards to the T-Rex, the way I read it phrased was that it was developed for hunting guides in Africa. That doesn't mean any of them actually asked for it.

I suspect it was built mainly as a PR gimmick to get their name in the press and on Youtube as the seller of a ridiculously large rifle. They seem to have succeeded. It seems to be too big, too heavy, and have too much recoil to be useful for its stated purpose however.
One has to ask, when are guides in season?

So basically it is an elephant/rhino/hippo gun.
1634292859717.png

I re-read them recently. They still hold up very well after fifty years.

Every time Konstable Els (just left off-centre) got a mention I was immediately reminded of @ex_colonial and his pictures of himself in his shorts and long socks just up the road from "Piemburg".
Picked them up from a stall at the Vicarage Fare at Danesfield in 1974 when dad was stationed at RAF Medmenham. Managed to hide them long enough to read both before mum confiscated the "mucky books". Later heard cackling hilariously for a fortnight thereafter. IMHO his best work... exploding condoms not withstanding..

tbf, I saw a clip of people doing a Lebanon Unload celebrating when fuel turned up in their town last month (Lebanon has been experiencing fuel shortages as part of the serious economic issues they are going through), and there was one fellah who clearly had to just take it too far and celebrated by letting off his RPG into the sky.

Oh dear....

It would detonate after about 600m anyway, based on a time of flight thingy (unless new-ish trendy RPGs no longer have that feature of course).

I re-read them recently. They still hold up very well after fifty years.

Every time Konstable Els (just left off-centre) got a mention I was immediately reminded of @ex_colonial and his pictures of himself in his shorts and long socks just up the road from "Piemburg".

Ahh, Pee-emburg. Happy Days. But every time Els was mentioned I was reminded of that silly cnut stable posted at the jail, who emptied his R1 into the student’s bakkie.

philc

LE
He is bullet proof, Allah told him so.

However he is not lung cancer proof. Bummer.

This is the thing about Beirut, everyone just seem to have a gun and they just seem to think loosening off rounds at any old thing will work.

Years ago I was there, got a Bus from Beirut to the Northern Syrian border but due to a technical hitch with the visas got knocked back by the Syrians, so back to Beirut it was.

Thing was I wanted to get back for the FA cup final, Chelsea were playing, so we get some casual bloke who offered us a lift in his Merc, by now we are used to this. Opens his trunk to throw in the rucksacks and its an AK 47 lying there, smiles and no worries off we go. We just had to swing round his place and let his wife know.

So we stop at a tower block and there is another tower block, that's it and both are just shot to bits, one block is Muslim the other Christian or Sunni V Shia, cant remember. We had seen scenes like this all over Beirut but this place was 2 blocks and that was it, they had been shooting at each other for years.

Any way get back to Beirut, check in to the hotel and down to the bar, which was in a basement for obvious reasons, game on send me mate Joe to the bar and he missed the at the time fastest goal scored in a FA Cup.

Lovely people just a bit shell shocked

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Even better...

The look on his face is priceless. No idea the level of self control it took to avoid the palm going across the face.

I turned him into a gif

That look of disappointment is epic.

He'd probably break down in tears if he had to watch the Spanish High Speed Mincing Brigade sashaying by.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That look of disappointment is epic.

He'd probably break down in tears if he had to watch the Spanish High Speed Mincing Brigade sashaying by.

I'm going to be wielding that gif every chance I get on twitter (very smug at my first attempt at one)

I'm going to be wielding that gif every chance I get on twitter (very smug at my first attempt at one)

I've just read that Admiral Disappointed is the king of Spain. Do they have gulags there? Even if the meat bomb dodges the gulag, I'm pretty sure he's now a target for a massive piss take for the rest of his life and his RSM will be gunning for him.

Latest Threads