Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

No. The EMP is caused by the effects of the initial nuclear radiation, produced by the reaction, upon the air. I seem to remember something called the Compton Effect.

If it was any sort of nuclear weapon masses of people would be dead or dying from radiation effects.
The Compton Effect has nothing to do with EMP. When a nuclear weapon explodes it releases electromagnetic energy across the entire spectrum, but this is only at the moment of the fission/fusion reaction which is extremely short lived. Hence EMP.

aardvark64

War Hero
The ones with the little ribbons are variations on the M42. About the size of a U2/Type C battery. They can be delivered by a variety of means, and can be very very sensitive. What’s worse is they don’t look like ammunition.

There was a storm about Russian equivalent 'child mines': the infamous PFM-1 'butterfly' cluster munition bomblets or 'land-mines' (in the way that anything green is a tank).

More details here.

There was a storm about Russian equivalent 'child mines': the infamous PFM-1 'butterfly' cluster munition bomblets or 'land-mines' (in the way that anything green is a tank).

More details here.

Interesting that BRITISH occurs a few times in the description - almost as though they didn't want to attract any attention to the fact that it was a Russian device...

Any word on how Hizbollah tunnels have been discovered around the site?

Edit . They’ve been described as ‘water drains’, but it’s alleged the hizbollah leader has decamped for Iran.
Nobody has posted anything about "Hizbollah tunnels" on this thread that I can recall seeing. If you've got a credible link, then let's see it.

More details here.
In the same way that the Americans copied the SD2, so the Sovs apparently copied the American ‘Dragon’s Tooth’ cluster munition. Neither were designed deliberately as toys.

From what I can tell, the ‘toy’ myth cane about because Afghan kids regarded anything that wasn’t either (a) a rock or (b) goat sh1t as a novel object of curiosity.

The myth then got a big boost from the ‘booby trap dolls’ scene in that famous documentary, Rambo III.

Nobody has posted anything about "Hizbollah tunnels" on this thread that I can recall seeing. If you've got a credible link, then let's see it.
I posted the Sky link about "panic rooms" and a labyrinth of passages under the grain silo (I think). I haven't seen or heard anything since but to be fair I haven't gone out of my way to look.

Just called an old Christian Arab friend here. I know his wife's family are from Lebanon and she's active in the Catholic church. I asked him to ask her if she knows a reliable fund to donate some gelt to in the knowledge it will get to those who really need it right now. He laughed and said I'd be better off donating to the IDF if I want to help Lebanon.
Well, he's a bit cynical about "charities" as am I.
I await her response.
Lebanese friend of mine recommends the Lebanese Red Cross.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If I had a credible link, I’d have posted or pointed in the general direction. instead of asking if anyone had heard anything in here.

This used to be a pretty good source of information when something foreign went bang or sideways.

Lebanese friend of mine recommends the Lebanese Red Cross.
Cheers Flaggie.
Turns out my friend's wife is part of a group herself (They're Catholics and I think one of their senior clerics is able to travel there) so the money's already with her and should reach there later this week.

Last edited:
For those on LinkedIn, Roger Davies, of ‘Standing Well Back’ and a former ATO, has just posted a great rant against the Loony Toons conspiracies already circulating about Beirut... and the typical talking heads...

For those on LinkedIn, Roger Davies, of ‘Standing Well Back’ and a former ATO, has just posted a great rant against the Loony Toons conspiracies already circulating about Beirut... and the typical talking heads...
do you have a link? -I couldn't find him.

I posted the Sky link about "panic rooms" and a labyrinth of passages under the grain silo (I think). I haven't seen or heard anything since but to be fair I haven't gone out of my way to look.
I mentioned back on the following post that I once worked in a much smaller grain elevator and that part of the grain handling system was at least partially underground. The silos operate by gravity. Fresh grain goes in the top and existing grain comes out the bottom. The receiving system can also be partially underground, but I don't know if that applies to a system that receives from a ship.

It's not like you can just turn the elevator upside down and pour the grain out again. I don't have any inside knowledge of the elevator in Beirut, but I would not be surprised if there was an extensive grain handling system underneath it.

Here's a 3D animation of the grain handling system on an elevator if that makes things any clearer.

Where we lived in the street in Karantina was very near the HQ of "Les Forces Libanaise" - the Phalangist militia.
As I said we had friendly relations with everyone in the neighbourhood. One day we were talking with some of the friendly Christian Phalangists when they started telling us, nay boasting to us about what they did to PLO fighters they captured - sadism straight out of horror movies.
My IDF mucka commented afterwards - "What do you expect? Shi'ites, Sunnis, Christians, Druze but they're all Arabs."
The Morabitoun - the movement of independent Nasserites. My Co captured one of their storehouses in the advance into West Beirut, but I was a civvie by then.
My cousin married a lass from there.

Was telling me what happened at the Holiday Inn, what the attackers did to the defenders when they took over a high floor.

Gruesome stuff indeed.

giatttt

Old-Salt
I know EMP can be generated without a nuke, can you have a nuke without EMP? I am gathering ammo for the "Israel nuked Lebanon" posts...
You get a shed load of XRays as a consequence of the fission reaction, so you are always going to get EMP.

Of course you could absorb the XRays by using them to compress some other things, but then you'd get even more XRays. ;-)

If you want to counter the "it was the joos what did it" mob[1], point out that in addition to the EMP, ionising radiation, and difficult to hide fallout, you also get rather a large pulse of electromagnetic radiation in the visible wavelengths. Which means that almost everyone filming the event would have been blinded.

[1] Please tell me that it's just Jeremy Corbyn and his old squeeze

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are so many agendas out there - and so many vacuous Looney Tune operators willing to believe just about anything provided they found it online - that one long-established fact checker has pushed this out, for anyone who cares:

Was Beirut Explosion Caused By a Missile?

( It comes as quite a shock when one hears apparently rational adults saying stuff like:
' well - no smoke without fire....a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse...say no more!' etc etc )

Vacuous twats.

Latest Threads