Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Off topic mate but - currently watching this...and it seems absolutely mental!

How much of a 'thing' is this? Are they a minority?
They are an ultra extreme minority but to be fair - although they may appear the same, they aren't all the same.
I hope you don't get nightmares, watching that sh*t.

Have you noticed that when you ask lots of Londoners how far they think the Jockanese border is from Manchester.
Loads think it's a half hour drive.

I really do despair sometimes.
When I moved to Coventry my mother thought that it was in London. A lot of southern students thought that they were in "the North", although pointing out that it was called "the Midlands" for a reason seemed to go over their heads. One lad from Cromer said that he wasn't keen on moving north (he got in via clearing) and was quite surprised to find that Coventry is quite a bit south of Cromer.

When I moved to Bournemouth my mother thought that it was by the seaside, in London.

They are an ultra extreme minority but to be fair - although they may appear the same, they aren't all the same.
I hope you don't get nightmares, watching that sh*t.
Some interesting headgear!

feck knows how I ended up watching this!

Some interesting headgear!

feck knows how I ended up watching this!
You're right about the headgear. There is a large Jewish community in Bournemouth's East Cliff area - the original Ratners and H Samuel lived there - and there are a fair few of the types shown in the film. What surprises me is the way the women dress. White blouse, dark grey knee length "office" skirt, white trainers and purple body warmer. Its like a uniform, but I'm not sure where in the Torah it mentions trainers and body warmers.

Still, each to their own and they aren't hurting anyone.

You're right about the headgear. There is a large Jewish community in Bournemouth's East Cliff area - the original Ratners and H Samuel lived there - and there are a fair few of the types shown in the film. What surprises me is the way the women dress. White blouse, dark grey knee length "office" skirt, white trainers and purple body warmer. Its like a uniform, but I'm not sure where in the Torah it mentions trainers and body warmers.

Still, each to their own and they aren't hurting anyone.
Basic principle of the dress code is keep it modest - to avoid being sexually attractive or provocative.
I agree with your "each to their own" however, the tolerance of Western democracy has to be attuned to ensure that while people may pursue their religious beliefs, they may only do so personally as consenting adults. They have no rights over the body, life style or beliefs of anyone else whatsoever, including the children they give birth to.

Last edited:
Where we lived in the street in Karantina was very near the HQ of "Les Forces Libanaise" - the Phalangist militia.
As I said we had friendly relations with everyone in the neighbourhood. One day we were talking with some of the friendly Christian Phalangists when they started telling us, nay boasting to us about what they did to PLO fighters they captured - sadism straight out of horror movies.
My IDF mucka commented afterwards - "What do you expect? Shi'ites, Sunnis, Christians, Druze but they're all Arabs."
The Morabitoun - the movement of independent Nasserites. My Co captured one of their storehouses in the advance into West Beirut, but I was a civvie by then.
The PLO pretty much brought anything they got, on themselves by their behaviour in Lebanon. I found that whoever was in the ascendancy was a cruel merciless twunt. Quickly reverting to a fawning pathetic coward when they were on the back foot.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Given the amount of brown dust in the sky I would be surprised if more than half of it actually combusted. Perhaps 1 KT equivalent would be closer to the truth.

My parents lived only 1.5 miles away from Buncefield when that went up and that was estimated to be a yield of just 30 Tonnes TNT equivalent so not so surprised at the destruction.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah declared in a speech: "Not a weapons cache, not a missile factory, not a single missile, not a single rifle, not a single bomb, not a bullet, not nitrates. Nothing at all. Not now, not in the past."

Me think He doth protest too much.....(The Canute)
Not a true word either.

Not now, not ever, from him, about what they truly are all about, and what they do, and what they represent .

NSP

LE
I'd say..at a decent speed-realistically its around the 45-50 minute mark. I think a line from around Lancaster could be confidently drawn across the country and all of the cretins above said line be considered as porridge wogs.

@BossHogg @AlienFTM
You are forgetting, of course, the true map of the UK...

UK_actual.jpg

Sorry I'm late, time zones and all that....

The talk about the labelling of the AN bags and the safety data sheets got me thinking, each bag and each SDS is labelled purely for the chemical or compound it relates to. The biggest flaw in the system is that it doesn't take into account (and nor should it) the quantity you have and what is sitting next to it.

In certain legislatures, there are restrictions on the quantities that can be held in one area without requiring a special licence, and also requirements for how they are to be stored. I guess Lebanon s not one of these legislatures, or if they are then I don't believe it was enforced in this case (he said, stating the bleedin' obvious).

As for what it can be stored next to, again there are restrictions on what can sit next to (or above, or below even) what. Small example from memory, we had a chemical storage cabinet for the oils and goops we used on site, but it had to be carefully set out and kept that way because if the liquidy stuff was put on a shelf above the powdering stuff and the liquidy stuff leaked into the powder things might have happened. Nothing like this instance, but still the powder would have been contaminated and might have given off fumes or heat.

The point? Chemical Safety Data Sheets and labelling on containers is only one part of the message, and fails to take into account the stuff around it. Busy ports and shipping companies have a hell of a job when cargoes are being shifted daily and space is at a premium.

For example, Segregation tool

Drifting a bit....

Basic principle of the dress code is keep it modest - to avoid being sexually attractive or provocative............................
Errr..Do you mean 'modest' as in those young IDF ladies portrayed in another thread??? ;);) Not complaining, by the way.

Last edited:
I'd say..at a decent speed-realistically its around the 45-50 minute mark. I think a line from around Lancaster could be confidently drawn across the country and all of the cretins above said line be considered as porridge wogs.

@BossHogg @AlienFTM
And if your grandad had tits he’d be your grandma.!
Lancaster ( you effete southern sailor boy) is not Manchester. which is another
hour down the motorway, on a good day.!
QED.
( I live 45 mins south of Gretna and I’m a good 2 hrs from Manchester)
apologise for thread drift.

The PLO pretty much brought anything they got, on themselves by their behaviour in Lebanon. I found that whoever was in the ascendancy was a cruel merciless twunt. Quickly reverting to a fawning pathetic coward when they were on the back foot.
You’ve just summed up most of the Arab world there in two scentences.

Ah. A Geordie then...:)
You would almost think so.!
our valley has a number of high end holiday homes in which we see the owners maybe a week in the summer normally. Not this year, I’m surrounded by “ aspirational middle class geordies” who’ve scrounged the use of their friends holiday house.
its like living in fvcking Pontiland at the moment.!

mogreby

Clanker
Was there for a while in the 80s. Would have found the Christian militias and a crowd called the Marabitoun, or something like that the most vicious of the lot.
In the early 80's the Mourabitoun were called the "Loony Tunes" by many Lebanese and regarded as dangerous and unpredictable. To be regarded as such in 80's Lebanon took some doing what with everything else going on there at the time.

In the early 80's the Mourabitoun were called the "Loony Tunes" by many Lebanese and regarded as dangerous and unpredictable. To be regarded as such in 80's Lebanon took some doing what with everything else going on there at the time.
Was told one or two horror stories by a Lebanese co-pilot I flew with, who had been there in the civil war.

Psychopathic sadists would be putting it mildly.

Was told one or two horror stories by a Lebanese co-pilot I flew with, who had been there in the civil war.

Psychopathic sadists would be putting it mildly.
The things the Phalangists told us that time made me sick to my stomach - and they were f*cking boasting about them!

Last edited:

Latest Threads