Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Lebanese activists are begging the people bringing aid not to hand it to Lebanese govt. elements rather to charitable foundations etc.
The Canadian government have said they will send aid, but it won't be going through the Lebanese government as there are concerns about it being stolen.

Hmmm. "Panic rooms" found under the site of the explosion.

I once worked at a much smaller grain elevator. There were rooms under silos which contained part of the grain handling system. The silos were gravity operated, so the grain went in the top and exited out the bottom, so part of the system where the grain exited had to be at least partially underground.

I don't have any direct knowledge of the Beirut silos, but I would be very surprised if there wasn't a network of rooms and tunnels under the site which was part of the grain handling system.

Heard on the 1955 news, one reporter said that it was all well and good sending aid to Beirut, but how to get it past the Lebanese gov't which is known to be corrupt.
Just to top it all Charles Michel, President of the European Council is in Beirut. The EU known to be corrupt and does SFA about massive corruption in Bulgaria, Rumania and to a lesser extent in the Czech Republic and Hungary. So, who is learning from whom? Is Michel there to give guidance to the Lebanese or is it the other way round?
Cynical me?

Mash'alla.

Were you in the Sofar area? I was stationed there for a month in 1983.
Only visited a few times. Married there. We/she bought the flat shortly before divorce, I knowing what was coming, but wanting a decent place for her.

Up in the hills overlooking the city

Amicable parting and good relationship since then.

That's life.

Heard on the 1955 news, one reporter said that it was all well and good sending aid to Beirut, but how to get it past the Lebanese gov't which is known to be corrupt.
Just to top it all Charles Michel, President of the European Council is in Beirut. The EU known to be corrupt and does SFA about massive corruption in Bulgaria, Rumania and to a lesser extent in the Czech Republic and Hungary. So, who is learning from whom? Is Michel there to give guidance to the Lebanese or is it the other way round?
Cynical me?
Just called an old Christian Arab friend here. I know his wife's family are from Lebanon and she's active in the Catholic church. I asked him to ask her if she knows a reliable fund to donate some gelt to in the knowledge it will get to those who really need it right now. He laughed and said I'd be better off donating to the IDF if I want to help Lebanon.
Well, he's a bit cynical about "charities" as am I.
I await her response.

Last edited:

Karamoja

War Hero
Some before and after photos of the dock and the Orient Queen. Apologies if they have been posted before but can't be arrsed to go through the whole thread.

Beirut-explosion before after_1.jpg

The Orient Queen before.jpg

The Orient Queen after.jpg

I get that and, largely thanks to ARRSE over the years, I've an idea what an oxidiser does. But I could just as easily have applied my just-scraped-through O Level Chemistry and presumed that an oxidiser promoted rust - which would tie in with keeping it out of the rain.

While not currently a requirement, would it no be wise to include an explosive pictogram given that the only intended function of Nitropril HD 1000 is to blow rocks to bits? The safety data sheet doesn't linger on the likelihood of explosion - it reads more as if this stuff can burn but it's unlikely to go bang unless you're really unlucky.
The UN Standard Tests decide what is an Explosive and what isn't are carefully regulated and defined in the UN Orange Book. Nitropril isn't HD 1.1.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just called an old Christian Arab friend here. I know his wife's family are from Lebanon and she's active in the Catholic church. I asked him to ask her if she knows a reliable fund to donate some gelt to in the knowledge it will get to those who really need it right now. He laughed and said I'd be better off donating to the IDF if I want to help Lebanon.
I await to hear her response.
You'll have confused no end of Americans now, with the phrase "Christian Arab"

Charity begins at home. I read something similar a year or five ago in a book called "The Bookseller of Kabul"
The bookseller was a devout Muslim, who was never the less not above a bit of abuse of copyright in that he had books copied illegally in Pakistan and then smuggled into Afghanistan. From the profits he earned, as a devout Muslim he felt obliged to donate to the poor and needy, but made certain that neither he nor his family went short.
The only charities I donate to are the RAF Benevolent Fund and the RBL, everyone else can do one.
He laughed and said I'd be better off donating to the IDF if I want to help Lebanon.
You already have donated in a manner of speaking.

You already have donated in a manner of speaking.
Well I tried to give a good account of myself while there.
The people (Shi'a, Druze, Christian, Sunni) I met in Lebanon in 1982 were decent and I made sure I didn't let my parents down with my behaviour. Some invited me home for meals, or for coffee in both Eastern Lebanon and the Beirut area. After I got out of the army I received a very nice and very complimentary letter from the daughter of a family in Karantina (Neighbourhood next to the port that got badly hit on Thursday) who had befriended me (she gave the letter to an IDF squaddie in Beirut so he could post it in Israel). Incidentally her dad was quite an admirer of Israel. I still have a photo portrait that a little 9 year old girl called Maria gave me, also from Karantina (we lived out of our APCs in the street there for a few weeks).
In fact the only people I actually fought in Lebanon were PLO and Syrian fighters.

Maria
20200307_083811.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads