Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

On the evening news there's talk not just of tons of gear being flown into Lebanon, but also millions in financial aid. The cynic in me wonders what percentage will "disappear" only to re-appear as if by magic in the bank accounts of various politicians and or high ranking civil serpents.
Perish the thought, it's the ME, it'll never happen.

Hezbollah are going to have to aspire to Salisbury levels of spin and whattaboutery and quick.
if it gains traction that they kept the AN where it was for nefarious purposes, and it was their “ other stuff” that started the fire. Then all their drug money slush fund may not be enough to stop the rest of the Lebanese turning on them.

Their money perhaps not but their guns and bombs very possibly. They have accumulated a shitload of experience killing Arabs in Syria over the past few years as well as holding their own against Syrian rebels and IS.

On the evening news there's talk not just of tons of gear being flown into Lebanon, but also millions in financial aid. The cynic in me wonders what percentage will "disappear" only to re-appear as if by magic in the bank accounts of various politicians and or high ranking civil serpents.
Perish the thought, it's the ME, it'll never happen.

Lebanese activists are begging the people bringing aid not to hand it to Lebanese govt. elements rather to charitable foundations etc.

I don't know whether President Aoun is a conspiracist-loon but he must now do anything he can to deflect the justified accusations against him and the other crooks controlling Lebanon. Effigies of him and Nasrallah are already being hung from the neck in the main public plaza this evening, so regarding Aoun, it's a case of "well he would say that wouldn't he....."

As an Israeli I have to admit that I feel relieved that the incident is so widely documented and recorded, otherwise for sure the anti semites and sundry other goons would do their best to pin it on us, which would be just another of many blood libels against the Jews.

On the other hand , the evidence from Lew Rockwell that you posted is pretty damn conclusive, so I'm trying to put my head between my legs in order to kiss my ass goodbye.

Cut out of Nasrallah being hung outside the main mosque this evening:
View attachment 495522
And here's me thinking the Lew Rockwell story was short on something. Something like "evidence" for example. :)

Because AN isn't classified as an explosive (Hazard Division 1) but as an Oxidiser (HD 5.1).
I get that and, largely thanks to ARRSE over the years, I've an idea what an oxidiser does. But I could just as easily have applied my just-scraped-through O Level Chemistry and presumed that an oxidiser promoted rust - which would tie in with keeping it out of the rain.

While not currently a requirement, would it no be wise to include an explosive pictogram given that the only intended function of Nitropril HD 1000 is to blow rocks to bits? The safety data sheet doesn't linger on the likelihood of explosion - it reads more as if this stuff can burn but it's unlikely to go bang unless you're really unlucky.

Lebanese activists are begging the people bringing aid not to hand it to Lebanese govt. elements rather to charitable foundations etc.
Nice idea, but somehow I don't see aid from European gov'ts being handed to anyone other than Lebanese gov't organisations. Even worse Hisbollocks getting in on the act and "diverting" stuff.

AL1. Also on the evening news "the cause of the Beirut explosion is still not clear". Howsabout gash bang stuff went bang?
Surprise.

Come off it, you're not that old.
Are you?
Any way it was the Romans at the behest of the Pharisees.
So goes the story touted by the people who founded Christianity, who were of course pure souls 100% free of bias.
Jews since then have been persecuted and murdered because of it, but there is no way of knowing its veracity.

The former fundamentalist Christian, Professor Bart Ehrman has some interesting things to say on the subject. Vis a vis truth getting in the way of a good story - Ehrman became a bible scholar in order to reinforce his Christian faith but discovered that the scriptures contain a mass of impossible contradictions as well as obvious BS.

Last edited:
Come off it, you're not that old.
Are you?
Any way it was the Romans at the behest of the Pharisees. How to get rid of someone without getting your hands dirty. Modern politicians go green with envy at the thought.

I based my my humourous comment on the experience of not a few Jews. A very hot, dusky skinned Israeli divorcee I was seeing for a while still had trauma from her schooldays because of it. Her father got a job as an engineer in SA and when she arrived at her new school there, the Afrikaaner kids started saying nasty things to her for "killing Jesus" whom, prior to then, as a Jewish Israeli kid, she had barely even heard of.

Last edited:
I get that and, largely thanks to ARRSE over the years, I've an idea what an oxidiser does. But I could just as easily have applied my just-scraped-through O Level Chemistry and presumed that an oxidiser promoted rust - which would tie in with keeping it out of the rain.

While not currently a requirement, would it no be wise to include an explosive pictogram given that the only intended function of Nitropril HD 1000 is to blow rocks to bits? The safety data sheet doesn't linger on the likelihood of explosion - it reads more as if this stuff can burn but it's unlikely to go bang unless you're really unlucky.
Would you put an explosive symbol on petrol or icing sugar? They are considerably easier to make explode than ammonium nitrate.

I'd argue that it's better to save the explosive hazard symbol for substances that are likely to explode in normal conditions. 2,4 dinitrophenylhydrazine (DNP) was a fairly common reagent in school chemistry labs not that long ago. Normally perfectly safe but if it spills on the screw threads of the bottle, crystallises and the lid is then screwed back on has a risk of going bang. ATOs have been called in to dispose of old stocks that have dried out in the bottle. That stuff does deserve an explosive hazard sticker.

Penguin142

War Hero
Any way it was the Romans at the behest of the Pharisees. How to get rid of someone without getting your hands dirty. Modern politicians go green with envy at the thought.
[/QUOTE]
The Romans also saw a threat to their Satrap's security, hence the label 'INRI'.

@loofkar he would have been wiser to send her to an English school, less fundamentalism there.

Last edited:
gash bang stuff went bang?
How about Gash gang stuff went bang!

On a positive note there is a lot of worldwide sympathy and help pouring in.

Not much good for those that died, but at least some help for the homeless and wounded.

On a personel note the ex’s flat we bought in Roumi is up on the hills above Beirut. She called to say the whole building was shaken but no windows broke, and she was able to se the massive cloud of smoke. Luckily her and her family all OK. Some blessings in a bad business.

Last edited:
I generally take for granted that protesters go home after demonstrations, have a shower and something to eat.
I wonder how many of these people have those facilities right now.

How about Gash gang stuff went bang!

On a positive note there is a lot of worldwide sympathy and help pouring in.

Not much good for those that died, but at least some help for the homeless and wounded.

On a personel note the ex’s flat we bought in Roumi is up on the hills above Beirut. She called to say the whole building was shaken but no windows broke, and she was able to se the massive cloud of smoke. Luckily her and her family all OK. Some blessings in a bad business.

Glad they're OK and that you have good relations with them.

Latest Threads