Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

That is quite funny, the return of Imperialism, I have met a few Indians old school who miss when the Brits ruled India, I am sure a few African countries feel the same and the Caribbean, even the States wold have us back right now.

I recall hearing somewhere recently that an Economist had propsed a model where a developing country could invite a developed country to run a nominated area on the coast of the country by their rules. A sort of invitational Hong Kong less the opium issues.

I recall hearing somewhere recently that an Economist had propsed a model where a developing country could invite a developed country to run a nominated area on the coast of the country by their rules. A sort of invitational Hong Kong less the opium issues.
Didn't Sierra Leone ask us to recolonise the place a few years ago after we'd sorted out some unpleasantness there?

Didn't Sierra Leone ask us to recolonise the place a few years ago after we'd sorted out some unpleasantness there?
Off topic but - SL is the only place I saw truthful gratefulness from the locals for our presence.

a fraction of a second before the shockwave hit them - pure Hitchcock!
horrified bride.jpg

Last edited:
Another bride's day was ruined.
This vid looks like an over the top hollywood movie

That's the last time she says does my bomb look big in this

NSP

LE
Thats worth looking at with the Youtube speed set to 0.25 and the best quality you can manage.
So I did that and it was still too fast so I screen-recorded it playing at 0.25x speed and then played that back on my lappy in my video editing software using its handy frame-by-frame advance function (on a video at 25 frames/sec) and it is quite amazing, the speed of detonation. The first few grabs below are of the fire and so several seconds apart realtime. From the initial flash as the detonation starts and for five grabs after they are next-frame (i.e. I advanced one frame before taking the next grab). The rest are two-three frames apart until the last three, which are about six frames apart. The frame after the last grab is of whatever coloured crap is in the apartment as the tripod has gone over in that frame so I've not bothered posting it. Now, 25fps recording of something playing at quarter speed means that one second of realtime is one hundred frames so the detonation takes place over 6/100th of a second. I am officially in need of fresh undercrackers!!!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Be interesting to know what happened to that bulker sitting offshore, just above the grain elevator in the grabs.

Edited to add: in grabs 15, 16 & 17 you can see the tall buildings at right seemingly bending. I think that this is image distortion related to the light (flash) from the detonation reaching the camera, as it is tripod-mounted and the shockwave has yet to reach the buildings or the camera. Another explanation could be the buildings flexing when the accelerated air in front of the shockwave hits them. Hopefully an expert will be along shortly to dispel any BS I may have just posted.

Last edited:
So I did that and it was still too fast so I screen-recorded it playing at 0.25x speed and then played that back on my lappy in my video editing software using its handy frame-by-frame advance function (on a video at 25 frames/sec) and it is quite amazing, the speed of detonation. The first few grabs below are of the fire and so several seconds apart realtime. From the initial flash as the detonation starts and for five grabs after they are next-frame (i.e. I advanced one frame before taking the next grab). The rest are two-three frames apart until the last three, which are about six frames apart. The frame after the last grab is of whatever coloured crap is in the apartment as the tripod has gone over in that frame so I've not bothered posting it. Now, 25fps recording of something playing at quarter speed means that one second of realtime is one hundred frames so the detonation takes place over 6/100th of a second. I am officially in need of fresh undercrackers!!!

View attachment 495319
View attachment 495320
View attachment 495321
View attachment 495322
View attachment 495323
View attachment 495324
View attachment 495325
View attachment 495326
View attachment 495327
View attachment 495328
View attachment 495329
View attachment 495330
View attachment 495331
View attachment 495332
View attachment 495333
View attachment 495334
View attachment 495335
View attachment 495336
View attachment 495337
View attachment 495338

Be interesting to know what happened to that bulker sitting offshore, just above the grain elevator in the grabs.

‘Have a like, I tried but my foo is not as good. l tried to get the near distance sat
dish as it was blasted.

Troy

LE
Why didn't they just unload it at the time of the accident , when the cargo was at least new and stable ?

They did take a load of it off. Then bad weather stopped work, the ship moved and split and spilt some of the cargo onto the sea bed. The decision was made to stop the work "for the time being". As time went on, the powers that be decided it was too dangerous to resume operations. Not knowing if time would make it safe; just hoping that it would. Each government since then just waits it out in the hope that it doesn't go "BANG" on their watch. But becomes someone else's problem...

Anybody heard any scuttlebutt about UK units providing support? RE or 17 p&M?

Fire pressurises then ruptures a storage tank sending a dense cloud of LPG above Upper Explosive Limit into the air. The cloud dilutes with air, coming below the UEL, meets flame and explodes.

Effectively a fuel/air explosive.

It's what we used to worry about living near the oil cracking plants in Middlesbrough.
Ya wuss.....worked on one for 43 years, stood more chance of being blown up with the gas at home........oh apart from 1987 when we tried to blow up the plant whilst starting up.....aaaand again in 2015 doing the same thing.......maybe you're right, ******* dangerous things gas crackers steer well clear of em.........

They did take a load of it off. Then bad weather stopped work, the ship moved and split and spilt some of the cargo onto the sea bed. The decision was made to stop the work "for the time being". As time went on, the powers that be decided it was too dangerous to resume operations. Not knowing if time would make it safe; just hoping that it would. Each government since then just waits it out in the hope that it doesn't go "BANG" on their watch. But becomes someone else's problem...
Maybe they should have towed it out and ignored it until it sank, wet ammonium nitrate doesn't go bang surely?.....

Latest Threads