Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Londo

LE
Beirut seems to be leading the world in fashion again .
fashon.jpg

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
There are plenty of rich Lebanese who would turn their noses up at stolen second-hand cars.

And it's a lazy stereotype.

Which is dumb.

Aren't second hand cars part of "The System", by which Hezballah launders it's drug money?

No idea why they'd end up in beirut as that would mean selling them for relatively worthless local currency.

I've been thinking about this all day, and now realise the meaning of the different rings:
a) The central one is people who had really good footage of the explosion but, for a "variety of reason's" are no longer able to publish it.
b) The middle ring is those who have some distant footage, and may be able to make some money from YouTube
c) The outer ring is those who were nowhere near, but blame the Tories and are now living on charity gifts.

Aren't second hand cars part of "The System", by which Hezballah launders it's drug money?

No. Have you any idea how many Used cars would be needed to make a dent in the Beqaa drug revenues?
A clue: they wouldn't fit on Mr. Daley's lot.

No idea why they'd end up in beirut as that would mean selling them for relatively worthless local currency.

The Dollar?

I met a lot of the journos who were working in Bosnia and based around Vitez in 1993. Being a menial type, one of my jobs was to ensure there were plenty of beers at the P-info house. It was rumoured my boss (the P-info liaison officer was having an affair with Kate Aidie since they always seemed to disappear around the same time).

This was at the time bonking-Bob-Stewart was humping his interpreter.

But one of the benefits of my job was that the two-can-rule didn't apply to me and I used to get shit-faced most nights with the war reporters and listen to their stories. There were some good looking female war reporters there too. I particularly liked a blonde SA one who smelt lovely.

I met Martin Bell and Kate Adie. Bell was walking funny because he'd a shrapnel wound in his abdomen (though someone told me it was really in his scrotum). Neither of which used to hang about for the late night drinking sessions.

But respect to them. It's one thing going to a dodgy places as 'the British army'. It's something completely different going there as an unarmed civilian war correspondent.

I've worked with Ms. A - she was not receptive to my masculine charms. She prefers wimmin.

Bell's balls were bashed but his cameraman lost his arm.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Let's store fireworks in the same place as we store several thousand tons of ammonium nitrate

So, initial fire; fire sets off fireworks; fireworks set off ammonium nitrate; big bang flattens city.

This report if true, along with the video Maalox posted above (9 minutes of HD that can be viewed in slo mo) shed the most light I've seen on the incident.
The banality of the negligence/incompetence behind this incident, which has taken out a significant part of a capital city is simply dumbfounding, as well as worthy of an honourable mention in the Emperor Mong thread.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
No it isn't. Nowhere near as large. 2750 tons of AN has a TNT equivalent of around 1762 tons (assuming the AN was pure). Whoever did this entered the data probably entered the 2750 (or 1800) as kilotons, giving an actual effect of 2.75 (or 1.8 megatons.

Try entering 2.75 (or 1.8) in the kilotons box on NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein
2020-08-07_19-15-15.jpg

Somewhat less dramatic...

NSP

LE
And run on the actual bombsite...

2020-08-07_19-18-40.jpg

Latest Threads