Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

That said, if you're bombing around somewhere you shouldn't be, such as Syria, Yemen or parts of Iraq then blending in is key. If we're elsewhere then we'd probably source a 'trojan' hard skin. There are a few companies in the Mid East who can supply and deliver for a fee.

I hope this isn't too bold on my part [sic] but I'm left wondering why that particular brand of condom could help me blend in in such climes.

Has anyone thought to blame the Russians yet? Come on people, get with the programme!
dry smile.jpg

Someone's put a selection of the best bang footage into one montage, including several from offshore.

I presume that the close-in ones get hit by the shockwave and then you hear the roaring but the couple from further away get the noise before the shockwave because close-in the shockwave is supersonic but by the time it reaches the guy on the hillside it has slowed to subsonic...?
So what exactly is the Arabic for "Faaackin' 'ell"?

Karamoja

War Hero
CutLunchCommando said :-

said appearing so quickly the surrounding air compresses as if being hit by a solid supersonic object. Close in its energetic enough to destroy buildings and kill people by various means, get far enough away and its just a loud noise.

I once whacked a pied crow in in Rhodesia with a G3. The thing fell out of the tree as if poleaxed but without the expected accompaniment of blood and feathers. When I examined it, there wasn't a mark on it so the shockwave of a 150 grainer at 2800 fps passing very close to its head did the business. The village nyanga (witchdoctor) or for the PC crowd, traditional healer, came up and said he wanted it. Anyway, thank fcuk it dropped because I had quite an audience!

Last edited:

I once whacked a pied crow in the Honde Valley in Rhodesia with a G3. The thing fell out of the tree as if poleaxed but without the expected accompaniment of blood and feathers. When I examined it, there wasn't a mark on it so the shockwave of a 150 grainer at 2800 fps passing very close to its head did the business. The village nyanga (witchdoctor) or for the PC crowd, traditional healer, came up and said he wanted it. Anyway, thank fcuk it dropped because I had quite an audience!
Did it taste like chicken?

NSP

LE
So what exactly is the Arabic for "Faaackin' 'ell"?
اللعنة الجحيم! apparently.

Edited to add: ArRSe has flipped it. Should be the other way around!

If this isn't an inditement of the powers that be I don't know what is....

'Lebanon’s ambassador to Jordan announced her resignation on Thursday, saying “total negligence” by the country’s authorities signalled the need for a leadership change.

In a televised statement aired by Lebanese broadcaster MTV, Ambassador Tracy Chamoun said she could “no longer tolerate” the government’s ineptitude.

“I am announcing my resignation as an ambassador... in protest against state negligence, theft and lying,” said Chamoun, who was appointed to her post in 2017 with the endorsement of President Michel Aoun.

“This disaster rang a bell: we should not show any of them mercy and they all must go,” she added. “This is total negligence.”

'Lebanon’s ambassador to Jordan announced her resignation on Thursday, saying “total negligence” by the country’s authorities signalled the need for a leadership change.

In a televised statement aired by Lebanese broadcaster MTV, Ambassador Tracy Chamoun said she could “no longer tolerate” the government’s ineptitude.

“I am announcing my resignation as an ambassador... in protest against state negligence, theft and lying,” said Chamoun, who was appointed to her post in 2017 with the endorsement of President Michel Aoun.

“This disaster rang a bell: we should not show any of them mercy and they all must go,” she added. “This is total negligence.”

I thought that name rang a bell, so I checked. She is the daughter of the assassinated President Dany Chamoun. Her mother was Australian FWIW.

I once whacked a pied crow in in Rhodesia with a G3. The thing fell out of the tree as if poleaxed but without the expected accompaniment of blood and feathers. When I examined it, there wasn't a mark on it so the shockwave of a 150 grainer at 2800 fps passing very close to its head did the business. The village nyanga (witchdoctor) or for the PC crowd, traditional healer, came up and said he wanted it. Anyway, thank fcuk it dropped because I had quite an audience!

Well your post has led to two things being clarified for me. It reminded me of the story of a WW1 poet that stayed in mind since I listened to it on Radio Four when I was but a lad. Apparently he was killed by the concussive wave of a passing shell, leaving no mark on his body, only hours before the final cease fire.
So I checked on Wikipedia, first to work out which poet it was (Edward Thomas). I then found out that that story was apparently concocted in order to save his widow's feelings. A letter written by his CO in 1936 revealed the truth, that he had been shot through the chest.

One lives and learns. Cheers.

Nobody I know really believes that putting 'TV' on a vehicle will protect them from armour or air attack, We're aware that it wouldn't be visible from the air or through a MBT sight but it's better than nothing and may prevent someone at a VCP having a pop.

That said, if you're bombing around somewhere you shouldn't be, such as Syria, Yemen or parts of Iraq then blending in is key. If we're elsewhere then we'd probably source a 'trojan' hard skin. There are a few companies in the Mid East who can supply and deliver for a fee.

In the past we've travelled in 2 car convoys, one loaded with fuel, food, water and medicals, driven by locals (all deniable). The other hard skin vehicle will have the crew, security and camera gear. Weapons are optional and dependant on the territory. I make a point of not asking my blokes if they have a concealed 'short' about their person... It's not unknown for a borrowed weapon to be used for a quick house clear though.

My boss was executed in Burundi by rebels. They'd ambushed a convoy and took a couple of UN heads of mission and a few others. A couple were killed but the CP bloke of the one HoM pulled a short on the bloke doing the executing, drilled him and his oppo and got his primary and the rest of the survivors out of there, running to a local sugar mill.

I got called off the day's sched to go fetch body bags and pick them all up with an armed security team.

Well your post has led to two things being clarified for me. It reminded me of the story of a WW1 poet that stayed in mind since I listened to it on Radio Four when I was but a lad. Apparently he was killed by the concussive wave of a passing shell, leaving no mark on his body, only hours before the final cease fire.

Your link says he died in April 1917, quite some time before the final cease fire

Edited due to buffoonery

Last edited:

Thus making herself avaible for the next government...

Thus making herself available for the next government...
Such cynicism! I suspect your thinking is very much along the right lines though.

Latest Threads