Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

But but , you can retire from playing at refugee at 55 in France.

You can retire as soon as you can get the dole in the UK, no need to wait till 55

Hang on - they shot him with an aimed shot from a tank main armament (video) and were able to determine where on the body it hit him...?

Blimey.

:oops:

The incident on the short video involved an AP flechette round (the green cloud is the canister detonating, I'm told). He had spoken to the Israeli position about filming them, but was then delayed in doing so and the message wasn't passed on to the next stag, plus the vehicle with (hard to see) TV markings wasn't visible from the Israeli position. A series of assumptions and it'll-be-fine moments on all sides, ended up with that shot to disrupt the likely ATGW attack.

It is odd to think that civilians believe that writing Press or TV on a vehicle makes it invulnerable -- even red crosses don't do that. In both cases, the bad guys simply look on the markings as camouflage.

That's just the fire extinguishent that they require for a typical long-haul flight, isn't it...?
Or is it actually a 737 Max and the tanks are helium to try and keep the plane in the air?

NSP

LE
Someone's put a selection of the best bang footage into one montage, including several from offshore.

I presume that the close-in ones get hit by the shockwave and then you hear the roaring but the couple from further away get the noise before the shockwave because close-in the shockwave is supersonic but by the time it reaches the guy on the hillside it has slowed to subsonic...?

Quite an interesting video here - a relatively close view of the explosion in the warehouse, and subsequent 'fireworks/saa' effect, which preceeded the much larger final explosion.

Hang on - they shot him with an aimed shot from a tank main armament (video) and were able to determine where on the body it hit him...?

Blimey.

:oops:

No. Two different events. The Reuters cameraman in the video was killed by a flechette round. He had his camera on his shoulder pointing at the IDF and I assume they pinged him as aiming an anti-tank weapon.

James Miller was crossing a field at night, they were calling out to the IDF position identifying themselves as a British camera crew whilst waving a white flag illuminated by a a torch. An IDF soldier (section commander) opened fire from 200m. His first round missed but the second hit James in the thorax. The IDF changed their story a few times and blamed the Palestinians etc..

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Bloody snowflakes...

What possible grievance could they have?

Someone's put a selection of the best bang footage into one montage, including several from offshore.

I presume that the close-in ones get hit by the shockwave and then you hear the roaring but the couple from further away get the noise before the shockwave because close-in the shockwave is supersonic but by the time it reaches the guy on the hillside it has slowed to subsonic...?

Shockwaves aren’t subsonic, by definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The incident on the short video involved an AP flechette round (the green cloud is the canister detonating, I'm told). He had spoken to the Israeli position about filming them, but was then delayed in doing so and the message wasn't passed on to the next stag, plus the vehicle with (hard to see) TV markings wasn't visible from the Israeli position. A series of assumptions and it'll-be-fine moments on all sides, ended up with that shot to disrupt the likely ATGW attack.

It is odd to think that civilians believe that writing Press or TV on a vehicle makes it invulnerable -- even red crosses don't do that. In both cases, the bad guys simply look on the markings as camouflage.

Nobody I know really believes that putting 'TV' on a vehicle will protect them from armour or air attack, We're aware that it wouldn't be visible from the air or through a MBT sight but it's better than nothing and may prevent someone at a VCP having a pop.

That said, if you're bombing around somewhere you shouldn't be, such as Syria, Yemen or parts of Iraq then blending in is key. If we're elsewhere then we'd probably source a 'trojan' hard skin. There are a few companies in the Mid East who can supply and deliver for a fee.

In the past we've travelled in 2 car convoys, one loaded with fuel, food, water and medicals, driven by locals (all deniable). The other hard skin vehicle will have the crew, security and camera gear. Weapons are optional and dependant on the territory. I make a point of not asking my blokes if they have a concealed 'short' about their person... It's not unknown for a borrowed weapon to be used for a quick house clear though.

Last edited:

Dick

Moreover in a war situation involving indiscriminate attacks on army positions, then stick a device on your shoulder and then hold still while aiming it at said army position -

NSP

LE

Bloody snowflakes...

What possible grievance could they have?
Now that's how you deal with the mob, not like this:-

Moreover in a war situation involving indiscriminate attacks on army positions, then stick a device on your shoulder and then hold still while aiming it at said army position -

It's drummed into cameramen on HEFAT courses (Hostile Environment/ First Aid Training) that a shoulder mounted camera can attract unwanted attention in a conflict zone. Not just from AFV but also from the Apache that you can just about hear but is in fact, aiming it's big nasty cannon at you.

LepetitCaporal

Old-Salt
Some good news at last about this tragedy...if any
The ex Pacha of Renault / Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, actually on the run from the Japanese justice... house / villa was blasted in the explosion
Is that what you's call irony or what?
Supposedly still alive

NSP

LE
Shockwaves aren’t subsonic, by definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not an explosives expert, hence the question. In the context of the distant footage substitute "shockwave" for "residual blast effect" or somesuch. The point being that at source the blast-front is exceeding the speed of sound but by the time it reaches the more distant cameras has lost enough energy to be below it so the soundwaves arrive first...???

Its the amount of energy in the shockwave attenuating as it moves away from the source. The air cannot transfer energy faster than the speed of sound so thats why you get a shockwave from a supersonic object (the crack of a rifle round or Concordes sonic boom). In this case the there is no solid object just a vast quantity of hot gas being quickly liberated in a small area and trying to push its way out. It creates a shockwave because it has to push the surrounding air to make space for itself and because there is so much of it appearing so quickly the surrounding air compresses as if being hit by a solid supersonic object. Close in its energetic enough to destroy buildings and kill people by various means, get far enough away and its just a loud noise.

There would granted be air movement and noise behind the shockwave though.

Latest Threads