Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Was anyone in the CoC able to trace the IAF bloke responsible. A friend of mine and his cameraman were killed in Iraq by US Marines in an own goal. ITN identified them but there was no follow up.

Yer tiz,

Here is my translation of it:
On 10th June 1982 - the fifth day of the fighting, the IDF fought Syrian forces in the eastern sector of southern Lebanon. The leading pilot of a flight of four IAF Phantoms reported to the IAF FAC that he saw no targets on the axis he was asked to attack. The FAC directed him to another axis "axis Micha", which the pilot identified on the map. They flew west and identified the target from a high altitude. On the lead plane were Lt. Col. Danny Shaki, the pilot, and Capt. Locker, the navigator. It was their first mission flying together. The leader flew from east to west along the new axis ("Micha"), but failed to notice he had drifted westwards to another axis -"axis Emerald". Convinced that he was on the right axis, he reported to the FAC that he could see targets, a little west of the town of Rashaya. However he had mistakenly identified Kfar Mesheki as Rashaya. The FAC replied that if the targets were a little west of Rashaya, he could attack. The navigator noticed that there was an error in the identification and advised the pilot that they were about to attack a different spot than was intended. The pilot did not heed his navigator’s comments and continued the assault. The four Phantoms hit the IDF forces in Wadi Bianur, where the AFVs and recce platoon of 931 Battalion were, as well as echelons and armour engaged in refueling and resupply. The first pilots bombed the targets they saw and the others aimed at the impacts of the first bombs. 25 IDF troops were killed and 117 injured. Delays in helicopter evacuation of the wounded led to fatal results in some cases.
Targets:
931 Battalion APC convoy (most of us soldiers had been advancing north on foot since early morning, so we were well clear of the incident but heard and saw it from afar.
931 Battalion mortar platoon with its APCs
931 Battalion recce platoon – these reservists suffered heavily as they were exposed on their M151 recce jeeps.
Tanks that came to rearm and refuel
Fuel, ammunition and supply trucks and their personnel.
In the ensuing investigation it was noted that the Lebanon terrain made it difficult to distinguish between the forces on the ground and the orange recognition panels on the vehicles could not be seen from the altitude the Phantoms attacked from.
The incident led pilots to be more reticent when dealing with ground targets in the campaign.

Last edited:
Ahem! Chemtrails are real brah! Look at this A380, filled with tanks!
View attachment 495077
Hhhhmmm not convinced people caught the intent of my post. Chemtrails are a nonsense, the tanks on this A380 are simulating people sitting in their seats for flight trials. That is all.

That is quite funny, the return of Imperialism, I have met a few Indians old school who miss when the Brits ruled India, I am sure a few African countries feel the same and the Caribbean, even the States wold have us back right now.

Bring it on! Might even be able to get Fray Bentos pies here again, although the last one I had was bloody grim. Might have to start making them locally in Rhodesia again to get a handle on the quality. Can't trust you bloody Poms to get anything right...

NSP

LE
This is probably an extremely bone question but why don't they just evacuate the area around the vessel, remove and store any infrastructure and stuff that could be blown up by the ship going BOOM!!! like for example power lines, oil pipelines, communications cables and so on, and task either the RAF or the Navy to smite it with great vengeance and furious anger? At least that way the inevitable said BOOM!!! would come at a time and place of someones choosing rather than the ghost of the ship going all chopsy and deciding to do it itself.

And once it's gone BOOM!!! it isn't going to go BOOM!!! again, and all the infrastructure and stuff that had already been removed and stored could be replaced without having the threat of it going BOOM!!! all unplanned like what happened to the Port of Beirut?
Well, a few years ago I worked on a job where we were burying a BFO power cable between Grain and Maasvlakte in the Thames Estuary. It ran 50m north of the buoyed corden around the Montgomery. We buried to 1.5m at great expense. Even more expensive to dig it up and move it. It's not the only cable running through the Thames riverbed, either. There's a windfarm just off the Kent coast a little west of Sheppey, too. Ain't moving those in a hurry. About a kilometer south is a nice set of docks and a town that ain't going anywhere in a hurry (well, it would if the Montgomery went 'pop,' I grant you). Three kilometers south-west there's a BFO power station, too - although I think that's mothballed at the moment.

Either way, if you can't tell how big a bang it's going to make when you put your 1000lb-ers in you ain't going to try to set it off, I shouldn't think.

"Tsunami..."

Last edited:

NSP

LE
From where I am sitting, the best that can be said is "opinions vary.."

The likely outcome of "an event" on the Richard Montgomery would be dependent on what percentage of the cargo was involved and the mitigation offered by the sand and tide at the time. We do not know what the actual condition of the munitions are, although we have a cargo manifest of what was there when it sank. The quandary that faces us is that conducting any sort of investigation is likely to create a greater risk than not conducting one as most of the stuff is buried in a sand/water/steel/random muck matrix that is not conducive to remote sensing.

It is probable that a percentage of the stores have corroded to the point where seawater ingress will have attacked the filling. It is equally probable that some of the stores, in particular thick cased bombs, have not. The site has been subject to sand scouring and it is probable that some of the items have been subject to movement, but some not..! Formulating a realistic render safe procedure is somewhat dependent on carrying out a survey of what is there, however nobody is prepared to even sanction this...!

Finally we are not in a robust politco-legal situation here! If the site goes Pete Tong, anyone involved either directly or indirectly is going to be sought out for trashing! There is therefore nobody prepared to either foot the bill or take the risk, so nothing happens, (until it happens..! ) and responsibility is left to whatever deity you fancy..

The situation should probably have been dealt with soon after the sinking, when at least the munitions were in a known configuration, the population was slightly more used to being vaporised than now and the courts were rather more willing to accept "acts of god" as incontestable..!

On the up side however, I would rate the chances of a single event as less than the situation in Beirut as most of the elements are probably not in intimate contact and are tamped by water and sand, however I would not put money on it...!
Last published survey is dated 2017 (although it was done again in 2018 and seems to be an annual event now). The stern appears to be starting to move south down the slope into the channel. The forward section seems to be cracking and collapsing. If it collapses in on itself in a big enough lump could it set the cargo off...?

In 2000 the MCA surveyed the cargo and determined the following munitions onboard:-

Some mad bugger wants to gas-axe the masts off!

The natives are nervous...

They're not dying for no reason, they're dying for political convenience and false pride.

Or maybe that just realise that BLM and their lives thus don't mean anything

NSP

LE
We've had this discussion before - he accepts responsibility and has cited the incident as one of the triggers for his PTSD. I agree that it was a risky undertaking. However as I think I've mentioned before, the IDF shot and killed a colleague of mine at Rafar Camp. He was doing everything he could to show who he was but was hit by an aimed shot above his body armour.

On the other hand: don't point a camera at an AFV:

Hang on - they shot him with an aimed shot from a tank main armament (video) and were able to determine where on the body it hit him...?

Blimey.

:oops:

I’d imagine there are many more in France who would be signing a counter petition along the lines of “Fcuk that, don’t touch it with a barge pole” or whatever the French equivalent is!
:grin:
Well there’s one upside, all our ME brethren could apply to France for Asylum in Beirut, and France would have to take them. Just think of the money these deluded fools would save. The EU would find itself saddled with a failed state just when it’s close to bankruptcy. Macron has said that aid would be conditional.. I can just see that happening.

Well there’s one upside, all our ME brethren could apply to France for Asylum in Beirut, and France would have to take them. Just think of the money these deluded fools would save. The EU would find itself saddled with a failed state just when it’s close to bankruptcy. Macron has said that aid would be conditional.. I can just see that happening.

No then they'd just realise they'd get more state benefits over here, once the French authorities helpfully publicise it to their new French citizens

You'd think with the extremity of the situation, hospitals partly destroyed and 5000 injured but no....
There was mention on TV news that the Bundeswehr is being sent in with a mobile medical centre, doctors etc, plus the Technische Hilfswerk, who do things like water supplies. Also mentioned was help from the US, but no mention of that country to the immediate south of Lebanon. Maybe I just missed something.
As an aside a German who lives and works in Beirut was on breakfast TV told how he saw the explosion from his flat and ducked. His flat is uninhabitable but a Lebanese mate is putting him up for the time being. Lucky bloke in an unlucky situation.

HE117

LE
Last published survey is dated 2017 (although it was done again in 2018 and seems to be an annual event now). The stern appears to be starting to move south down the slope into the channel. The forward section seems to be cracking and collapsing. If it collapses in on itself in a big enough lump could it set the cargo off...?

In 2000 the MCA surveyed the cargo and determined the following munitions onboard:-

Some mad bugger wants to gas-axe the masts off!

The natives are nervous...

Latest Threads