Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Old-Salt
Maybe to people who know about these things, personally I thought some terrorist had knocked over his suitcase bomb when I first saw that weird white cloud expanding outwards, I've never seen that before and the only time I've seen something similar is watching old films of nukes being detonated.
There is often a visible shockwave if you are in the right place, when you are in the wrong place you have your head down and ears ringing. Although you are near the action you miss the show.

Some easily located footage showing shockwaves from 45 secs in on this clip:

Sahar.jpg

FIREFIGHTER DOWN: We are saddened to learn that Sahar Faris, 25, has been named as the first firefighter, to of been confirmed to of died in the line of duty, whilst attending the fire in the port of Beirut, the Lebanon, and was caught in the resulting massive explosion.

Sahar a firefighter / paramedic, who was engaged to be married nexy year, was part of a team of ten firefighters based at La Quarantaine fire station, in northeastern Beirut who were mobilised as the first crews to the initial fire.
Tragically whilst attempting to deal with the fire all ten were caught in the massive explosion, caused by the ignition of a large quantity of ammonium nitrate.
Her nine colleagues remain unaccounted for at this time.
Our thoughts and prayers go to her family, friends and colleagues and to those of the other unaccounted for firefighters.

A better comparison would be the vapour contrails left by high flying aircraft, which is the same effect...
I think you will find those are chemicals either a) sprayed from military aircraft disguised as commercial aircraft b) sprayed from secret nozzles on commercial aircraft or c) chemicals that are magically unaffected by combustion chamber temps that are added to the fuel of commercial aircraft (C is what happens when you point out these nozzles and associated chemical tanks that are so well hidden no mechanic in the history of aviation has ever spotted them.

View attachment 495043

FIREFIGHTER DOWN: We are saddened to learn that Sahar Faris, 25, has been named as the first firefighter, to of been confirmed to of died in the line of duty, whilst attending the fire in the port of Beirut, the Lebanon, and was caught in the resulting massive explosion.

Sahar a firefighter / paramedic, who was engaged to be married nexy year, was part of a team of ten firefighters based at La Quarantaine fire station, in northeastern Beirut who were mobilised as the first crews to the initial fire.
Tragically whilst attempting to deal with the fire all ten were caught in the massive explosion, caused by the ignition of a large quantity of ammonium nitrate.
Our thoughts and prayers go to her family, friends and colleagues and to those of the other unaccounted for firefighters.
Poor sods - that call out must have been on a par with 9/11 or Chernobyl. Fire fighters - truly some of the the bravest of the brave in my humble opinion. RIP.

Any chance of re-writing that? I'm not quite getting your point.

Are you saying:

1. I don't know what a GSW looks like and that filming paintball might help
2. Are you suggesting that pretending to be in great danger will help to film the paint ball?
3. That non-combatants in warfare will be fine because nobody is trying to shoot you?
4. That I need acting lessons?
5. Something so esoteric that it's passed me by?
I think he is saying that he is a dick.

....with the rush to deny that the original fire at the munitions store (let's stop pretending it was a fireworks factory) that led to the second, much larger blast was in any way, shape or form linked to an an outside party.
What munition do you think was going up there? It looks nothing like, say, the Ukraine depot incident where burning debris is arcing through the air.

There is often a visible shockwave if you are in the right place, when you are in the wrong place you have your head down and ears ringing. Although you are near the action you miss the show.

Some easily located footage showing shockwaves from 45 secs in on this clip:
I'm sure the beginning of that was in Apocalypse Now

View attachment 495043

Bone question - wearing a mil uniform ? Firefighters paramilitary ?

Back on topic, I've been sent links to some videos of the Beirut bang by a journalist contact.

The fire before the big bang does not look like fireworks but appears to be small arms ammo going off. This is based on both visual and audible evidence. Looks like a potentiall some cannon shells hence the sparkler effect.

My suspicion is that Hezbollah were storing ammo next to the AN warehouse. This is high on my list of stupid things to do.

Current numbers are >137 killed and >5,000 injured.
No chance of a share?

well one of the major issues until the 90’s was a huge BP oil refinery next door... Isle of Grain.
always a bit of a ‘concerning’ moment as you passed the wreck in a BFO oil tanker.
Ahem I remember it well. It was one of my pereginations after DAFT shut via Tilbury. Talking of Daft we had a fairly bad storm after the memorable one in 88 and one of the vessels came in with a Bulker of Ethelene Gycol that had toppled. The wharfinger wanted it out ASAP. So the owning company laid on a unit. My boss says go check the seals for warehouse and one of the lugs had smashed which was reported, could have been treated as ullaged storm damage. Nope want a new lug on says my boss. I gently suggested that any proximity of a welding torch and said cargo might not be a good idea- like Daft suddenly becomes BFO hole in the ground.

I think you will find those are chemicals either a) sprayed from military aircraft disguised as commercial aircraft b) sprayed from secret nozzles on commercial aircraft or c) chemicals that are magically unaffected by combustion chamber temps that are added to the fuel of commercial aircraft (C is what happens when you point out these nozzles and associated chemical tanks that are so well hidden no mechanic in the history of aviation has ever spotted them.
Is it not a plane-free version of this?

Old-Salt
I'm sure the beginning of that was in Apocalypse Now
Yes, that initial clip is, but that is why I pointed out from 45 secs in. The proper footage is after the first few seconds.

I was just trying to get a clip to answer the question. Those retarded bombs are not as stupid as they are made out ;)

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
In fairness there have been no shortage of reports of suspicious fires at Iranian facilities over the past few weeks, including one at the nuclear plant. Most people who have commented on these fires have done so approvingly, with a nod and a wink to certain actors who might be behind these fires, which the Iranian authorities have all insisted were accidental.

Now if the warehouse full of Slab Murphy's special mix hadn't gone ka-boom, what would we have seen? A fire in a warehouse in Beirut in which some interesting flashes and bangs occurred, the authorities insisting it was a "fireworks factory" before quietly passing over altogether the initial fire to discuss the apocalyptic one.

What was really in that "fireworks factory"? Could it have been Iranian-supplied munitions for Hizbollah? Was the fire just another one of those Iranian-linked mysterious blazes that we were all previously having such a good little chuckle about?

I very much doubt for one second that Israeli elements would ever have sought to cause that horrific explosion, but I don't think it's either unreasonable nor tinfoil hattery to ask pertinent questions about who or what was behind the initial fire.
In fairness there have been no shortage of reports of suspicious fires at Iranian facilities over the past few weeks, including one at the nuclear plant. Most people who have commented on these fires have done so approvingly, with a nod and a wink to certain actors who might be behind these fires, which the Iranian authorities have all insisted were accidental.

Now if the warehouse full of Slab Murphy's special mix hadn't gone ka-boom, what would we have seen? A fire in a warehouse in Beirut in which some interesting flashes and bangs occurred, the authorities insisting it was a "fireworks factory" before quietly passing over altogether the initial fire to discuss the apocalyptic one.

What was really in that "fireworks factory"? Could it have been Iranian-supplied munitions for Hizbollah? Was the fire just another one of those Iranian-linked mysterious blazes that we were all previously having such a good little chuckle about?

I very much doubt for one second that Israeli elements would ever have sought to cause that horrific explosion, but I don't think it's either unreasonable nor tinfoil hattery to ask pertinent questions about who or what was behind the initial fire.
Its not really a Wilson Cloud...

What is being referred to is a Wilson Cloud chamber, which is a device for detecting atomic particles. It is basically a pressure chamber with a moist pad creating a high humidity. How you use it is by sharply reducing the pressure in the chamber. This produces a super saturated state in the chamber which, if a charged particle enters it, creates a streak of droplets as the particle create a condensate trail. Eventually the whole chamber clouds over and you have to recycle the pressure pulse..

What you are seeing is a shock wave going through a humid atmosphere and a cloud forming as the water condenses out due to the vacuum formed behind the pressure wave. It is similar to what happens in a Wilson Cloud Chamber, but there is no charged particles. A better comparison would be the vapour contrails left by high flying aircraft, which is the same effect...

... bloody amateur scientist journos making up terms!
Thanks...

It occurs to me that the same movers and shakers who ignored the nitrates problem so successfully, may well be the same individuals who stand to make the most profit from rebuilding (apart from glazers I suppose). One wouldn't think they arranged this on purpose as it was orders of magnitude too huge, but I doubt many of that crowd will turn down commissions on help through nubulous planning-regulations etc.

Wish I could, but link I have is to a private dropbox account.
No worries. It would be interesting to know exactly what was flying about in some of the other ammo incidents for comparison. What I have seen so far looks like firework innards doing what firework innards do. Looking at the stuff arcing about in the Ukranian incident for instance looks like tumbling cannon shells with ignited tracer fill.

Latest Threads