Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

In fairness there have been no shortage of reports of suspicious fires at Iranian facilities over the past few weeks, including one at the nuclear plant. Most people who have commented on these fires have done so approvingly, with a nod and a wink to certain actors who might be behind these fires, which the Iranian authorities have all insisted were accidental.

Now if the warehouse full of Slab Murphy's special mix hadn't gone ka-boom, what would we have seen? A fire in a warehouse in Beirut in which some interesting flashes and bangs occurred, the authorities insisting it was a "fireworks factory" before quietly passing over altogether the initial fire to discuss the apocalyptic one.

What was really in that "fireworks factory"? Could it have been Iranian-supplied munitions for Hizbollah? Was the fire just another one of those Iranian-linked mysterious blazes that we were all previously having such a good little chuckle about?

I very much doubt for one second that Israeli elements would ever have sought to cause that horrific explosion, but I don't think it's either unreasonable nor tinfoil hattery to ask pertinent questions about who or what was behind the initial fire.
Bonkers.
If there had been a scintilla of a suggestion that this had anything to do with you know who, does your giant brane not think for one nanosecond, that the Lebs would have been shouting from the rooftops.

Last edited:

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
You are getting a little more than tedious in your rant about the BBC. There is a thread for that, you know.

If only there were some mechanism by which you could ignore my posts and save £157.50 p/a at the same time...

@dingerr or @HE117 will give an expert answer, but my understanding is that the casings on the munitions are slowly corroding, allowing the explosive to be washed out. So its becoming less dangerous with time.

Wordsmith
Was it Bounce Banana or some other obsessed nutter on this site a few years ago convinced that the ship was a Kent Police Conspiracy of Masons, or something?

Beirut is not exactly unaccustomed big bangs blowing the beejabus out of stuff. This is South Beirut in 2006 after the IDF had levelled a large area of Hezbollah controlled buildings. It was an unbelievable barrage which caused my voice to go a bit squeaky. What was truly amazing was the fact the 'old boys' sitting not far away, carried on sipping their coffee..

I was a bit of a twat and tried to film without Hez knowing.. the next shot is the Hezbollah blokes just before they pulled me out of our vehicle and dragged me and my driver off to a basement. More squeaky voices!
IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg

In fairness there have been no shortage of reports of suspicious fires at Iranian facilities over the past few weeks, including one at the nuclear plant. Most people who have commented on these fires have done so approvingly, with a nod and a wink to certain actors who might be behind these fires, which the Iranian authorities have all insisted were accidental.

Now if the warehouse full of Slab Murphy's special mix hadn't gone ka-boom, what would we have seen? A fire in a warehouse in Beirut in which some interesting flashes and bangs occurred, the authorities insisting it was a "fireworks factory" before quietly passing over altogether the initial fire to discuss the apocalyptic one.

What was really in that "fireworks factory"? Could it have been Iranian-supplied munitions for Hizbollah? Was the fire just another one of those Iranian-linked mysterious blazes that we were all previously having such a good little chuckle about?

I very much doubt for one second that Israeli elements would ever have sought to cause that horrific explosion, but I don't think it's either unreasonable nor tinfoil hattery to ask pertinent questions about who or what was behind the initial fire.
Who knew that Corbyn was a member of ARRSE?

Beirut is not exactly unaccustomed big bangs blowing the beejabus out of stuff. This is South Beirut in 2006 after the IDF had levelled a large area of Hezbollah controlled buildings. It was an unbelievable barrage which caused my voice to go a bit squeaky. What was truly amazing was the fact the 'old boys' sitting not far away, carried on sipping their coffee..

I was a bit of a twat and tried to film without Hez knowing.. the next shot is the Hezbollah blokes just before they pulled me out of our vehicle and dragged me and my driver off to a basement. More squeaky voices!View attachment 494965View attachment 494967

Hassan Nasrullah, leader of Hezbullah:
"We did not think, even one percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not,"

That's what happens when you have a leader that doesn't care about the welfare of the population - he set up his military HQ in this civilian residential area and proceeded to launch a cross border attack and thousands of missiles at Israeli cities. Then he acted surprised at the response.

Last edited:
It was a bit of a strange story. My recollection of it is a bit vague now, but I seem to recall that they either had informed or got permission from, the Council, but had no need to inform the Police. Not surprisingly, when they heard the explosion, the locals phoned the Police rather than the Council, which lead to some running around.

I had a video of the explosion at one time. I'll have a look and see if I still have it.
And here it is

No they are actually flagellating themselves with machetes for the Ashura festival.
Since you mention the slaughter in honour of Eid Al Adha,, I am posting a link to a video (not for the faint hearted)
taken by the perps themselves of cruelty to animals and mass Eid slaughter bloodlust that occurred in Gaza (Khan Yunis) last week.
Much as I would prefer to think otherwise, I feel that this video indicates the problem of the culture
engendered by the religion.

This one did not go to plan;

:rofl:

Hassan Nasrullah, leader of Hezbullah:
"We did not think, even one percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not,"

That's what happens when you have a leader that doesn't care about the welfare of the population - he set set up his military HQ in this civilian residential area and proceeded to launch a cross border attack and thousands of missiles at Israeli cities. Then he acted surprised at the response.

He went on to say:
'I'm convinced and sure that this war was planned and that the capture of these hostages was just their excuse to start their pre-planned war, but if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not...'

I had a few run-ins with Hezbollah whilst I was there:

Apart from when I was lifted and spoken harshly to; One of our 'Them' security blokes went rogue and managed to sneak up on a Fjar launch site and film it.
My journo unwisely sent it to base to be aired. Very soon (scarily soon) afterwards a Hez bloke walked up on the journo and made it clear he would be shot if the footage was aired again... despite a panicked call to New York it was broadcast again! (cue: much pant wetting and hair tearing on the part of the journo and 'sympathetic' noises from me) However our security blokes took a surprisingly sanguine approach and did a bit of shrugging - the bloke who got the footage trousered some dollars so he was OK. The journo still lives BTW.

However IIRC the HQ was established before there was any possibility of a IDF strike. The level of destruction surprised everyone.

There were certainly IDF on the ground prior to the attacks. In the North of Beirut we saw the remains of a fire fight as some 'people' SF/Mossad? were picked up by 669. There was a lot of brass on the deck.

Water drilling rigs that looked like rocket launchers were hit and burnt out by surprisingly small munitions too.

I also saw the results of the IDF 'knock on the door' after Hez launched a Zelzal rocket from next to a residential home. I'm pretty sure Hez knew what the outcome would be.

Mike Barton

On ROPS
On ROPs
Did I paraphrase correctly?
No, but if your reading comprehension skills aren't up to basic fifth-grade standards that is hardly my fault.

I am merely contrasting the difference between the gleeful nods-and-winks that greeted the suspicious fires recently at the Iranian nuclear plant and other facilities, with supporters of Israel (among whom I count myself) implying that they might not be the accidents that they appear, with the rush to deny that the original fire at the munitions store (let's stop pretending it was a fireworks factory) that led to the second, much larger blast was in any way, shape or form linked to an an outside party.

If you read that as some sort of loony conspiracy theory I am happy to recommend adult literacy sites that could offer their services.

He went on to say:
'I'm convinced and sure that this war was planned and that the capture of these hostages was just their excuse to start their pre-planned war, but if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not...'

I had a few run-ins with Hezbollah whilst I was there:

Apart from when I was lifted and spoken harshly to; One of our 'Them' security blokes went rogue and managed to sneak up on a Fjar launch site and film it.
My journo unwisely sent it to base to be aired. Very soon (scarily soon) afterwards a Hez bloke walked up on the journo and made it clear he would be shot if the footage was aired again... despite a panicked call to New York it was broadcast again! (cue: much pant wetting and hair tearing on the part of the journo and 'sympathetic' noises from me) However our security blokes took a surprisingly sanguine approach and did a bit of shrugging - the bloke who got the footage trousered some dollars so he was OK. The journo still lives BTW.

However IIRC the HQ was established before there was any possibility of a IDF strike. The level of destruction surprised everyone.

There were certainly IDF on the ground prior to the attacks. In the North of Beirut we saw the remains of a fire fight as some 'people' SF/Mossad? were picked up by 669. There was a lot of brass on the deck.

Water drilling rigs that looked like rocket launchers were hit and burnt out by surprisingly small munitions too.

I also saw the results of the IDF 'knock on the door' after Hez launched a Zelzal rocket from next to a residential home. I'm pretty sure Hez knew what the outcome would be.

Which attacks are you referring to when you say "There were certainly IDF on the ground prior to the attacks"?

Regarding the rest of Nasrallah's statement:
In the early nineteen-eighties IDF did the planning for "Operation Oranim" (Pines) well in advance. Then in June 1982 the Palestinians shot the Israeli ambassador in London, IDF retaliated by bombing a PLO arms dump in Beirut, the PLO retaliated by firing thousands of missiles into Israel and operation Oranim to clear them out was launched. Within days the op was renamed "Peace for Galilee" and is now know as "the first Lebanon war". I know all this because I served in the IDF on the Lebanon border on and off from June 1980.

In 2006 however, the IDF was shamefully unprepared for the attack by Hezbollah. The then Prime Minister, Olmert, was a peace orientated non-former military type and the IDF CoGS was an air force type who apparently thought everything could be done by air. As a result we dithered for weeks using only air power before they realized we wouldn't be able to stop the attacks without going in on the ground. This unpreparedness cost us a high price in lives and health.

Your accounts of the scenes there are interesting btw.

Last edited:

I think you are doing a disservice to all of us by not including the statistics for fires, "suspicious" or otherwise, in the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Egypt, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and the USA for the same past few weeks. They are at least as relevant as the content you've mentioned.

Last edited:
I think you are doing a disservice to all of us by not including the statistics for fires ("suspicious" or otherwise) in the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Egypt, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and the USA for the same past few weeks. They are at least as relevant as the content you have already mentioned.
You would say that. It's just more proof that Israel was behind it. Wibble.

HE117

LE
@dingerr or @HE117 will give an expert answer, but my understanding is that the casings on the munitions are slowly corroding, allowing the explosive to be washed out. So its becoming less dangerous with time.

Wordsmith
From where I am sitting, the best that can be said is "opinions vary.."

The likely outcome of "an event" on the Richard Montgomery would be dependent on what percentage of the cargo was involved and the mitigation offered by the sand and tide at the time. We do not know what the actual condition of the munitions are, although we have a cargo manifest of what was there when it sank. The quandary that faces us is that conducting any sort of investigation is likely to create a greater risk than not conducting one as most of the stuff is buried in a sand/water/steel/random muck matrix that is not conducive to remote sensing.

It is probable that a percentage of the stores have corroded to the point where seawater ingress will have attacked the filling. It is equally probable that some of the stores, in particular thick cased bombs, have not. The site has been subject to sand scouring and it is probable that some of the items have been subject to movement, but some not..! Formulating a realistic render safe procedure is somewhat dependent on carrying out a survey of what is there, however nobody is prepared to even sanction this...!

Finally we are not in a robust politco-legal situation here! If the site goes Pete Tong, anyone involved either directly or indirectly is going to be sought out for trashing! There is therefore nobody prepared to either foot the bill or take the risk, so nothing happens, (until it happens..! ) and responsibility is left to whatever deity you fancy..

The situation should probably have been dealt with soon after the sinking, when at least the munitions were in a known configuration, the population was slightly more used to being vaporised than now and the courts were rather more willing to accept "acts of god" as incontestable..!

On the up side however, I would rate the chances of a single event as less than the situation in Beirut as most of the elements are probably not in intimate contact and are tamped by water and sand, however I would not put money on it...!

Last edited:

Latest Threads