Beirut Explosion, so what was it?

Just look at the state of pretty much every country in the Arab/Muslim world from North Africa to Pakistan - civil wars, religous conflict, terrorists, crime, economies tanking, increasing poverty, spiralling debt and inflation, incompetence, government repression, and leaders with no morals or checks on their behaviour, and a general population which seems to have more than its fair share of idiots all over the place.

The Middle East is imploding and it is speeding up... I don't think we've seen the worst of it by a long way yet.

Still, at least the next Iranian revolution will be interesting. I'll bet there's more than a few in Iran thinking that maybe getting rid of the Shah wasn't such a good idea after all.
Too long ago I think bit like Zimbabwe today.. Yes “we” think it was better before and it probably was . Those in power want just that. The povo living now are in the majority and under 40 and know nothing of the good old days. Remember it was 41 years ago.

Interesting because in the daily int reps I get from a security company in Iraq, none of these are mentioned.

Given the references to ‘Ummah’, fake news perhaps?
And the posts are a little hypocritical, surely they should be shrugging their shoulders and saying it's god will

civvy

Old-Salt
I watched both this and the excellent Vietnam war series and both programmes had the same effect on me. Particularly the Vietnam war series where the grunts on both sides came across as really good people whereas the chancers who sent them there came across as devious and corrupt.

Just remeber they have a narrative to get across. It's all in the editing.

You are getting a little more than tedious in your rant about the BBC. There is a thread for that, you know.
Speaking of which, I felt somewhat gratified this morning to read the BBC's article on Fake News, which also debunks attempts to blame Israel for the explosion in Beirut.

And the posts are a little hypocritical, surely they should be shrugging their shoulders and saying it's god will
No no no.
Something beneficial happens to the ummah - Will of Allah
Something bad happens to kuffar -
Will of Allah
Something bad happens to the ummah -
It's the Joos/Rome/Great Satan+diminishing orders of Satan's
Things OK in the West - it's the Joos/corrupt kuffar societies etc.

A casual observer may start to question the bleeding obvious at some point.

ETA But of the little Arabic I ever knew 'alhumdillah' seems a catch all exclamation.

Doing some halal slaughter of goats and sheep for the Eid holiday?
No they are actually flagellating themselves with machetes for the Ashura festival.
Since you mention the slaughter in honour of Eid Al Adha,, I am posting a link to a video (not for the faint hearted)
taken by the perps themselves of cruelty to animals and mass Eid slaughter bloodlust that occurred in Gaza (Khan Yunis) last week.
Much as I would prefer to think otherwise, I feel that this video illustrates the problem of the culture
engendered by the religion.

Last edited:
Well looking at the before and after shots you have a pretty good idea where the seat of the explosion was, roughly where the warehouse was and the new basin now sits...

We were chatting at work today, and as we were discussing safety related issues I proposed that this one would make a good discussion case on how not to store bulk chemicals. One of my colleagues mentioned that a few years ago they had been bidding for a vehicle contract for a mining company, the vehicle was to be designed to inject AMFO mix into drilled blast holes to bring down the next batch of ore.

Unfortunately they didn't win the contract, but he did chuckle when I asked if the winner was an Irish company
One of my secondary duties in a post in NI was to rig up 1 ton batches of mining explosive for underslung helo lift to quarries in the dodgier areas.

Was a lot of fun and very cool to a spotty young corporal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSP

LE
I've seen those films too, the ones with the BFO white cloud coming out at warp speed, particularly Shot Baker which was part of Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll:

That cloud is water vapour exiting Stage Left, Right and Up as fast as it can possibly do so, and spookily like the one shown in the videos of the blast at the port in Beirut. And Shot Baker was only five or so times more powerful than that blast...
You'll get that when you generate a lot of heat and a big shockwave from a small place surrounded by water - like an atoll.

Or dockyard pier...

Speaking of which, I felt somewhat gratified this morning to read the BBC's article on Fake News, which also debunks attempts to blame Israel for the explosion in Beirut.

That's because the Jews control the BBC.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
On a more serious note, I think it's a bit of a coincidence that the port management company's contract came to an end in Jan 2020, a tender was issued and a new company took over the site, including "all and any liabilities"....
The tender docs are still available on the Port website...
Looks like a set up maybe?? Maybe even an insurance scam? Bit costly though....

Maybe to people who know about these things, personally I thought some terrorist had knocked over his suitcase bomb when I first saw that weird white cloud expanding outwards, I've never seen that before and the only time I've seen something similar is watching old films of nukes being detonated.
You can see a Wilson cloud in the 500 ton TNT shot from Op Sailor Hat

You can see a Wilson cloud in the 500 ton TNT shot from Op Sailor Hat

Ive seen lots of examples now I googled it, but until I saw the one in Beirut I hadnt seen it before. I doubt most people had.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
This incident has again made me ponder the SS Richard Montgomery situation. Interesting article here, including details of men carrying explosives being stopped near the wreck in 2012, and of the wreck showing increasing signs of breaking up.

@dingerr or @HE117 will give an expert answer, but my understanding is that the casings on the munitions are slowly corroding, allowing the explosive to be washed out. So its becoming less dangerous with time.

Wordsmith

In fairness there have been no shortage of reports of suspicious fires at Iranian facilities over the past few weeks, including one at the nuclear plant. Most people who have commented on these fires have done so approvingly, with a nod and a wink to certain actors who might be behind these fires, which the Iranian authorities have all insisted were accidental.

Now if the warehouse full of Slab Murphy's special mix hadn't gone ka-boom, what would we have seen? A fire in a warehouse in Beirut in which some interesting flashes and bangs occurred, the authorities insisting it was a "fireworks factory" before quietly passing over altogether the initial fire to discuss the apocalyptic one.

What was really in that "fireworks factory"? Could it have been Iranian-supplied munitions for Hizbollah? Was the fire just another one of those Iranian-linked mysterious blazes that we were all previously having such a good little chuckle about?

I very much doubt for one second that Israeli elements would ever have sought to cause that horrific explosion, but I don't think it's either unreasonable nor tinfoil hattery to ask pertinent questions about who or what was behind the initial fire.

Latest Threads